Another stretch mark/loose skin thread

I've seen plenty of threads with a similar title but it seems in most cases people are concerned as to whether or not their stretch marks are going to disappear. I'm concerned as to whether or not stretch marks can tell the future. I could care less if they disappear. Are stretch marks a good indicator that you will have loose skin when approaching your goal? So far I'm down 20 something pounds and have another 20 something to go and I worry that once I get down there, I'll have nothing left to lose and instead of looking lean, I'll look like a flying squirrel. Just curious if there is anything to this or if I should calm down. The weight is coming off regardless, but maybe I could start taking measures now if that is in fact the indication. If it boils down to surgery at some point then so be it but I'm just looking for some hope here.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Stretch marks are not a good indication. I have stretch marks all over, and some places (like the sides of my stomach) shrunk in nice and tight as if I've never been morbidly obese before, although I used to have huge rolls that hung down to hip bones. Other areas, however, are showing obvious skin wear.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    A friend of mine lost over 160 pounds with minimal excess skin. A majority of it was likely because of her genetics, however her doctor also told her to make sure she stayed hydrated, she also took a prenatal vitamin, vitamin e supplement and used Bio Oil religiously. I figure it is worth a shot and have been doing it since day one of my weightless journey (I'm down just over 12 pounds and still have a long way to go) so far I haven't noticed any issues. The one major benefit is the Bio oil has helped minimize some scars that I had from previous surgeries (one large scar on my shoulder/upper arm, 6 on my stomach from having my gallbladder removed, and the ones on my hip and lower stomach from having surgery on my hip/pelvis after it was broken) the only scars that hasn't improved are the two on my knee from surgeries that were 20, and 18 years ago.
  • Thanks guys. Yeah I'm young too (23) and I feel confident about things from that angle. I've also upped my water intake a lot. Quit smoking as well which I know is detrimental in that department too. The thing that keeps bringing me back are the stretch marks I guess. I gained ~40 pounds over the course of 1 summer when I was about 10 (long story) and have pretty much maintained that 40-50 pounds overweight since then. Gaining that much weight that fast led to all the stretch marks and unfortunately for me, my body decided it wanted to store nearly all of it in my gut. I have no idea how much surgery is, nor do I like the idea of being diced up at the end of this journey but if I find it to be excessive, that's what I'm going to do. Fingers crossed though!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    No. Some very fit people with nice tight skin still have stretch marks.
  • Yeah idk. My older sister has about the same amount of weight to lose as I do. Kinda wish she would hurry up and do it. I need a guinea pig lol same genetics, same situation. I've decided I no longer care to be honest. I'm going to just keep on truckin. If I need to save some pennies for cosmetic, then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the input friends and good luck with your goals!