Gaining and not losing = vent.

Options
I joined about 2 weeks ago and when I stood on the scale it read 140.8. The next week {same day, same time} I got on the scale and it said 144.2. Today I got on just to see what it says and it read 144.6. I'm getting super irritated. I'm eating so much better than I used to, cut out all of my sodas/junk sugars and I feel like I'm not doing anything right.

I guess it's just frustrating because my neighbor and I started together and she's lost 5 pounds.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.
    Dunno what to tell you with that one without looking at your diary.

I would say water weight but who knows.
  • sonyyyyy
    sonyyyyy Posts: 33
    Options
    GIRL!! Same here! But eveybodys body is different! You might gain some before you lose some. I remember i cut off soda and hot cheetos (2 of my FAVORITE things) and i gained weight.. Then all of a sudden i dropped the wieght and i am 10 pounds lighter.
    So don't worry.. By cutting off soda alone will help A LOT! Good luck!
    :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary, so we can see. It will help alot. It could be your sodium intake (causes you to retain water). Drink alot of water. Change things up, do a different workout. I have plateaued twice in my weight loss, and everytime I changed things and it worked. You need to keep your body guessing. You could also try zig zagging your calories (have 1200 one day, 1500 another, 1300 another, etc). It worked for me.
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Its been 2 weeks....give it time!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I joined about 2 weeks ago and when I stood on the scale it read 140.8. The next week {same day, same time} I got on the scale and it said 144.2. Today I got on just to see what it says and it read 144.6. I'm getting super irritated. I'm eating so much better than I used to, cut out all of my sodas/junk sugars and I feel like I'm not doing anything right.

I guess it's just frustrating because my neighbor and I started together and she's lost 5 pounds.

Just stick with it; eat your calories per your plan and exercise. It WILL come off. Someone posted an article this week about the Body adjusting when women begin to eat PROPERLY, especially if she has NOT been eating regular calories. Give your Body time to adjust and You will lose weight.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    doesn't look like you're eating enough... eat all 1200 calories, drink your water, watch your sodium.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I gained about four pounds when I first started dieting and working out. But i kept going and now i am 27 pounds down. Keep working at it, your body is just adjusting. Also watch your sodium!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Actually from what i see in your diary you are not eating enough! Your body needs at the very least 1200 calories to survive! thats your problem! you body doesn'twant to release the fat and if you keep eating to little your metabolisim will get all screwy and slow
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I've been trying to eat more in the last few days after reading the article about eating back burned calories. It's just hard some days because my body just says no more food. I do always drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, most days more. I like my salt and my bread... I think it's a Southern thing :wink:

Thanks guys and girlies. I will keep trying to eat my calories and cut down on the salt.

:heart:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I see several issues:

You aren't logging consistently. You need to log everything, every day.

You aren't eating enough. Starving yourself won't make you lose weight - it will make you lose muscle and lower your metabolism, making weight loss even slower and harder. The goals given to you are goals to MEET.

You may have your settings/goals incorrect. The less you have to lose, the more conservative your deficit needs to be.

May help to read these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Your diary has a lot of blanks in it. So you're either not logging or not dedicated. Put in the effort and you will get your results. Make sure you fuel up properly (eat up your calories, try not to too many under).

Also, if you just started working out for the first time ever, or after a long hiatus, your muscles are holding on to water, which is normal and good.

Take measurements and pictures, so you have something to refer to weeks and months down the line.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat more in the last few days after reading the article about eating back burned calories. It's just hard some days because my body just says no more food. I do always drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, most days more. I like my salt and my bread... I think it's a Southern thing :wink:

Thanks guys and girlies. I will keep trying to eat my calories and cut down on the salt.

:heart:

I've been there. :wink: It may be difficult to increase intake for a week or two, but you will adjust. Also, remember you don't have to increase volume a lot to increase cals in a healthy way. Make sure to eat at least 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. Get on a schedule. Also, increase things like healthy fats (natural oils, nuts, avocados). Also, try drinking some cals - chocolate milk, protein shake, fruit smoothie. It's sometimes easier to drink something even when you're not hungry. Keep working on it and you'll get there. Before long, your metabolism will increase and your appetite (and stomach size) will increase and you won't have trouble eating enough healthy food. :flowerforyou:
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    Your diary has a lot of blanks in it. So you're either not logging or not dedicated. Put in the effort and you will get your results. Make sure you fuel up properly (eat up your calories, try not to too many under).

Also, if you just started working out for the first time ever, or after a long hiatus, your muscles are holding on to water, which is normal and good.

Take measurements and pictures, so you have something to refer to weeks and months down the line.

---
    I never knew that about muscles holding onto water. Considering I did just start up again I'm hoping you're right! Thank you! And yes, I am dedicated. Some days I just don't find enough hours for myself!
  • jkgeiger
    jkgeiger Posts: 14
    Options
    I've always heard that you can gain water weight at first while your body gets used to the new routine. Not sure if that's true. I can relate with the frustrations. Every step back can seem like a failure - one of those embarrassments. But never fear - we are all human!
  • mt_nest
    mt_nest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You have to consume the entire 1200 calories. I was having the same problem. Exercising and eatng way below 1200 was not working and I was getting so frustrated. I was about ready to quit. My trainer chided me for not eating enough calories. When I started staying around 1200, I lost about 3 more pounds. Now, I'm having trouble staying at 1200.... LOL