I hate the word "heck" and phrase heck of a lot!!! Just had to vent!

Options
I grew up saying a hell of a lot and now people all over the place are starting to say heck of a lot. I really really hate the sound of this phrase. It just makes me want to kick something!

Especially when Australians starting copying the americans… It was great to hear Prince Charles not give in to the trend on tv the other day.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I hate when people use the words irregardless, orientated and spell loose in place of lose.
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some people just aren't comfortable with swearing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Especially when Australians starting copying the americans… It was great to hear Prince Charles not give in to the trend on tv the other day.

Not quite understanding this comment - Prince Charles is not Australian.

Anyway heck is not new in Australia - have heard people saying it for many many years.

Not quite sure why that one word upsets you - strikes me as very low level swearing, lower on the scale than hell, but perhaps above gosh or golly.

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with "heck", but I'm with libbydoodle on irregardless
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the phrase 'i could care less' just kills me... :disagree: :disappointed:
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've never read a post so irrelevent to a forum in my life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    I've never read a post so irrelevent to a forum in my life.

also true...
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I grew up saying a hell of a lot and now people all over the place are starting to say heck of a lot. I really really hate the sound of this phrase. It just makes me want to kick something!

OK then.......
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It's a euphemism, do you not like all euphemisms or just "heck"? When I was growing up, we weren't allowed to use the word "hate." As an adult I hesitate using that word and it doesn't feel right when other people use it. I did and have used many euphemisms as a substitute, though. My family wasn't religious, but many families are. "Hate" was a bad word in my house, and "hell" is a bad word in many many homes.
  • seanblackler
    Options
    "I could care less" is from yiddish - It is the proper way to say the phrase but you have to have the inflection properly: "Yoden's boy just won the soccer championship = Championship smampionship. Me, I could care less". It's meant as sarcasm. Just FYI.