Low Fat Cheese-Free Cheesecake

Local_Atlantis
Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
Cheesecake is my favourite thing in the world, and it is one of the things that I have been sad to see go from my diet. I know it is one of the "worst" cakes you can have in terms of fat etc.
I found this recipe on the internet, and I was completely sceptical, but I was desperate for it to be delicious, so I decided to give it a go yesterday, and oh my days!! It was delicious!! I have a sister who has developed a cheese intolerance, and she loved it!! The whole family did. I have even been asked to make it for Christmas dinner!! :smile:

I cannot for the life of me find the link, but luckily, I coped it onto a word doc to print off and keep, so here it is:

Greek Yogurt Baked Cheesecake

1. 200g Lighter Digestive biscuits
2. 57g lighter butter
3. 2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt
4. 1/2 cup sugar
5. pinch of salt
6. 2 eggs
7. 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out) or 2 tsp vanilla extract
8. 1 Tbsp cornstarch
9. optional: sliced strawberries for garnish

- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 10 inch springform cake tin
- Make the crust by breaking the biscuits until they're crumbs, and adding them to melted butter. Pour biscuit and butter mix into cake tin, spread it to all of the edges and flatten.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, sugar, yogurt and vanilla. Blend until smooth, then add cornstarch and pinch of salt and blend again. Pour filling into crust and bake for 30-35 minutes. (Mine was in for about 32 mins). Make sure you don’t overbake.
- When the cheesecake is done, it will still be jiggly in the center but will have a “done” look to it. The edges of the cake will start to pull away from the sides of the pan as it cools. Let cool then chill for 2-3 hours in the fridge before releasing springform.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries over top of the cooled cheesecake and serve.

Servings 8.0

Amount Per Serving

calories 204

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 9g 13%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 61mg 20%
Sodium 162mg 7%
Potassium 21mg 1%

Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 9g

Protein 9g 17%

I'm based in the UK, so I know that the recipe originally stated a "Graham cracker crust" but as these are not available in the UK, I used McVitie's Lighter Digestives. You could reduced the calorie amount by making the cake go further.. It could serve 10 people if the slices were smaller, and it is so thick and creamy that you could get away with it!

I hope you all enjoy it! I was totally surprised by how nice it turned out. For a cheese free cheese cake, it is bloody marvelous! :smiley:

Replies

• Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    I am definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing.
  • Local_Atlantis
    You're welcome. Honestly - it was gorgeous. I was so surprised just how nice it was!
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    I'm totally gong to make this. My husband is a cheesecake fanatic, I seriously cannot wait to see his expression when I tell him, "uh, babe, there's no cheese in your cheesecake"
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Sounds like the cheesecake over here in china!!! spongey without the actual part you would think consumes it... lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Wat?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    sigh
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    @acg...After reading your posts on the recipe threads I knew you'd find this and sigh. Plus I've seen some of your meals posted and they look bangin'

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I ate a huge piece of pumpkin cheesecake on Monday last week and lost 1.4 pounds by Saturday.

Just sayin'.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Came for CHEESEcake and found baked yogurt...
    Stefan-cries-stefan-salvatore-35549964-270-352.gif
  • Local_Atlantis
    edited November 2014
    Came for CHEESEcake and found baked yogurt...

Hahahaha! To be fair, the title does say CHEESE-free! Don't knock it till you've tried it!
    @acg67 - why you sigh?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Yogurt pie.

It's a yogurt pie.

Calling it anything with the word "cheesecake" is an abomination.

Man I can't wait for Thanksgiving so I can make cream cheese pie. *drools*
  • Local_Atlantis
    edited November 2014
    Haha! @PrizePopple that's brilliant! I'll call it yogurt pie from now on! :smile:
    Basically, the corn flour thickens it up, so it has pretty much the exact consistancy and texture of cheesecake. So it feels like you're eating a New York cheesecake - just plain baked vanilla yog cake :wink:

I was so sceptical when I saw the recipe, but it was so good. Try it! :smile:
  • Local_Atlantis
    I've found the site I got it from!! Woop
    http://www.abakinggirl.com/2013/01/21/greek-yogurt-cheesecake/

There you go! And it has the details of the "graham cracker crust"... whatever that is! Haha. Happy baking!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    edited November 2014
    Sounds lovely and I will be giving it a go! Some days are for a real cheesecake and other days are for a lighter variation.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Lisajo89, I have to say that I get so sick and tired of all the Holier-Than-Thous on here who hide behind their computers and bash everyone who posts something that doesn't jive with their personal belief system. I think it prevents many from posting. Having said that, your responses are all so positive, upbeat and humorous--very refreshing. You seem like an amazing person, and I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Bookmarked :) Thank you for recipe. Now I know what I will bake this weekend.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Lisajo89, I have to say that I get so sick and tired of all the Holier-Than-Thous on here who hide behind their computers and bash everyone who posts something that doesn't jive with their personal belief system. I think it prevents many from posting. Having said that, your responses are all so positive, upbeat and humorous--very refreshing. You seem like an amazing person, and I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey.

Now who's being judgy?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Now who's being judgy?

Looks like I hit a nerve. God bless you and have a beautiful day!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Sounds delish, I will be making cheeseless cheesecake this weekend. Thanks for sharing! xx
  • Local_Atlantis
    You're all welcome! Hope you like it as much as I did :smile: