Protein/Carb/Fat Ratio for muscle preservation and fat loss

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'd start as high as you can such that you are still losing weight at approximately .5 to 1% change in weight per week. Too hard to predict where that point is. If you have previous tracking data then use that to approximate where you put your calories for fat loss.

If you DONT have that data then I'd start at about 12xBW in calories if not slightly higher and monitor change in weight per week, adjust based on results.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'd err on the high end of the protein range listed above. .6g/lb in an energy deficit might not be a good idea. Given your body-weight I'd set protein to around 110-120g to start. Fats anywhere in the .3 to .5g/lb bodyweight range and the rest in carbs with the idea that you can swap between fat and carbs based on preference/satiety/gym performance.

These would be my recommendations as well.
  • steph40967
    steph40967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so breaking it down this is what I'm coming up with:

Protein 143g
    Fats 70g
    Carb 174.5g

Gives me 1900cal per day to start? Sound like a good starting point? At what point do you start to lower carb and up protein? When you plateau or not until much nearer the competition diet?
  • steph40967
    steph40967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    steph40967 wrote: »
    Ok so breaking it down this is what I'm coming up with:

Protein 143g
    Fats 70g
    Carb 174.5g

Gives me 1900cal per day to start? Sound like a good starting point? At what point do you start to lower carb and up protein? When you plateau or not until much nearer the competition diet?

Try it out and see how your body responds. As mentioned, if you don't have previous data to base it off... it'll take a little time to figure it out (that's why it's generally helpful to know your maintenance cals).

If you're losing rapidly at that level, slightly bump your cals up. See how you respond, and make adjustments again.

You want to keep your intake as high as possible, so only drop cals when you need to. Ride it out as long as possible while still seeing changes in body composition via measurements, photos etc. One week, two weeks, etc. of the scale moving does not indicate you've plateaued.

You shouldn't have to lower carbs and increase protein inversely.

Also, I'd recommend keeping a weight log, some notes on adjustments to macros, and possibly even how you're feeling so you have data to use moving forward.