From Obese to Triathlete and Marathon Runner

Options
wtgrey
wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
I have always struggled with my weight. When I graduated high school I was about 145 lbs. I ballooned to about 300 lbs by 1996, then lost to about 200 lbs by the year 2000.

I stopped running in 2000, then gained to 273 by January of 2012. I hated myself when I was fat. I did not want to eat in front of other people, because I thought the sight of me eating must be disgusting to other people. I had to wear size 48 pants, XXL shirts, and pretty much XXL everything. When on airplanes, I could not even put the tray table down in front of me, because my gut was so huge there was not room.

In January of 2012, while sleeping, I herniated cervical disc c6/c7 in my sleep, and was paralyzed in my right arm for six months. I was in excruciating pain the entire time. In June 2012, after three procedures to inject steroids directly into my cervical spinal cord, the herniation resolved, and my pain went away.

After this event, facing my poor health, I decided that I had to make some serious changes in my life. In June of 2012, I started working out with weights, and started running. At first, I could just walk. After awhile, I started using the stair climber, and got pretty good with it, but running was just not an option.

I started losing weight, and then, in the fall of 2012, started running. At first, I could only run about one minute, and then walk for 2 or 3 minutes. By January of 2013, i could run a mile at a time, and by that summer, I was up to a few miles per day, several days per week, and down to about 228 lbs.

By January of of 2014, I was running regularly and decided it was time to train for something serious. I picked the Marine Corps Marathon, and started slowly ramping up my mileage. Along the way, I did three half marathons, two triathlons, and lost down to 168.

On 10/26/2014, just a week ago, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon. My goals were (1) to finish, even if I was crawling, (2) to run every step, and not walk any of the race, and (3) to break the 10 minute per mile mark. I accomplished goals one and two, finishing at a 10:32 pace, and running every step. It was a wonderful experience, and I achieved my best time, ever - at 45 years old I beat my best marathon performance ever, which I achieved when I was 14 years younger.

I don't hate myself anymore. I don't look in the mirror and feel disgusted. I don't get on an airplane and feel embarrassed because I cannot put the tray table down. I don't feel ashamed to eat in public for fear that other people are looking at me, thinking "why doesn't he quit eating?"

I can run, hike, fit into normal clothes (actually clothes in my size are a little difficult to find because I am smaller than average), and walk around knowing that no one is looking at me because I am disgustingly fat. I even have moments where I look in the mirror and think, "wow, I am good looking!"

My doctor is happy with me. My blood pressure is 110/60, and my resting pulse rate is in the high 40s. I take no medications, and haven't had a pain pill in over 2 years.

I still have about 20 lbs to go to get to my goal weight of 150, which will put me at an "athletic" weight and body fat percentage. Weight loss is slow when you get close to the ideal weight, so I know it will take some time. One thing I know - I will never get fat again. I hated myself, and never want to feel that way again.

I am happy to be a 45 year-old marathoner!

mrvgk0oja5qo.jpg
gms263qmvsts.jpg
3e4vrx1s3v1q.jpg
4m4qkjd6zqdp.jpg
7amxg22hzrvk.jpg
h58etlfexkuz.jpg

Replies

• VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on creating such great changes in your body and your life! Looks like you're enjoying being active and healthy.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I have a similar story, but my life changed with weights and Crossfit. It's amazing how our relationship with food and our bodies change when we start to focus on performance goals. It's amazing what our bodies can do. Congratulations on becoming an awesome athlete! I started my weight loss journey again spring 2012 as well. I know how hard it is to make this kind of transition yet how fulfilling it is. I love your success. I see much more in the future for you. Keep up the great work.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Awesome....what a change! Congrats.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Such a wonderful story. Thanks. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • _kingbooble
    _kingbooble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well done, a great story and although I'm not sure I want to go running Marathons :) your story is spurring me onto my goal.
  • freshstart
    freshstart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your hard work paid off - very inspirational story.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Damn dude, nice work
  • justlittleme21
    Options
    That's amazing :) x
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I am very impressed. You are amazing!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic achievement, thanks for sharing!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Blimey! Well done.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    WOW, WOW, WOW!!
    That is just...just WOW!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Amazing, and congrats on the race!
  • mattbirchfield
    mattbirchfield Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great Job man, def. something to be proud of!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!! I have been on a similar trajectory and it feels GREAT!!!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    amazing work and congrats on the marathon PR!!!!!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Incredible! You're amazing!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow, congrats!!! Similar story to me minus the marathon, triathlete part. I was very skinny in high school 160 lbs then eventually ballooned up to 255 (if not more at certain times). At age 42, I was well on my way to the big 300 if I didn't change my habits. I hated my fat self.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous. Congratulations!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Very impressive! Congrats and you look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!