Martial Arts For The Broader Man

Options
Hey all,

I've always wanted to give martial arts a go but am unsure where to start. I am 6ft and roughly 220lbs. I am in no way flexible or agile.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 female and started Taekwondo at 255lbs in January this year. Now I'm a blue belt and gearing up to compete in state! I'm still 216lbs.

I love it! You don't need to be flexible or agile to start, it's a good workout that suits any level. I love the environment as well. I totally recommend TKD :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have my black belt in Tang So Do and i started at 220. At the time, I was also doing Brazilian Jujitsu. Many other members where bigger than me. Really, just find one you thing is interesting.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. When I did Karate in college I became pretty flexible within a years time (coming close to being able to do the splits) and I was 6 feet 225 lbs. If you really are worried about the flexibility pick a style that does not emphasize high kicks. Some of the Japanese styles focus most of their kicks from the chest down.
  • 2lhasas
    2lhasas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If there is a Krav Maga school near you, give it a whirl. Krav Maga was developed to be simple to teach to people of all sizes and levels of fitness because Israel needed an army fast. Added bonus of learning skills that you can use to defend yourself on the street. I've been training for about 3 years and there are several "broader" men and women in my classes who manage just fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'll second Krav Maga for one reason if none other. Effectiveness in a very NO BS manner. If you need to protect yourself, this is a time tested way of effectively putting someone down so you can get home safe.