Best lifting program for women?

Options
Hi everyone

I've been on MFP for years now and have lost weight mainly through cardio, best results were from Insanity.

My lifestyle at the moment means I can't fit in insanity like I used to and, from reading many threads on here, I'm accepting I need to start lifting to really see results (not much to lose).

I'm quite weak so would need to start on a relatively easy program, so based on that could you please recommend the best program? The one I was considering is 5x5 but I'm wondering if that's appropriate for a COMPLETE beginner to weight lifting

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi, I never lifted weights before and started 5x5. I am now 2 months in. I am enjoying the program and can feel strength changes and am starting to see body changes (teeny ones, bf reckons I'm being overoptimistic :)).

Haven't tried any other programs.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are many out there, and you may end up going from program to program to keep yourself moving along.

One that I started with, and I recommend is "Strength Training for Women" by Lori Incledon. It has a lot of good, basic information, including nutrition. It is a great starter as it has programs for beginners to competitive training. I bought it about 7 years ago and it really started me on a good path.

I was first training just to be strong, and put on some lean mass. I eventually moved on to compete (figure competition) so I needed to move on to a coach/trainer. However, I still refer to this book when I feel the need to get back to basics. My husband even refers to it now and then and I have used it to train with my lifting buddies (mostly men).

This probably won't be the be-all, end-all, as no program should be (my humble opinion) but it is a good start and reference book.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.

Why, out of curiosity?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I started with 5x5 with great results. Never lifted before.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The best program for women is the same program that's best for men.

That being said, I started with NROL. I personally didn't care for the program...I felt there were too many isolation exercises when I wanted compound moves that would make the most of my newbie gains. I switched to 5x5, and saw awesome strength increases. Really liked the program, and I think it's a solid one to start with. I've also heard good things about Starting Strength, although I've never run that program.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just bought Strong Curves and Thinner Leaner Stronger with The Year 1 Challenge…I don't know how they will go, but I have heard good things so we will see! My fiancé is also helping me with my lifting routine and adding some of his special forces training to my fitness…basically I am working with some patchwork routines haha
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Roz2889 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I've been on MFP for years now and have lost weight mainly through cardio, best results were from Insanity.

My lifestyle at the moment means I can't fit in insanity like I used to and, from reading many threads on here, I'm accepting I need to start lifting to really see results (not much to lose).

I'm quite weak so would need to start on a relatively easy program, so based on that could you please recommend the best program? The one I was considering is 5x5 but I'm wondering if that's appropriate for a COMPLETE beginner to weight lifting

Thanks in advance for your help

5x5 is a beginner program and it's a great place to start. Your goals should determine what program you do, not your sex...you sex has nothing to do with anything where lifting is concerned.

Different programs are going to lead to different results. Programs like 5x5 and Starting Strength are classic strength programs...they work in a rep range that is conducive to optimal strength gains. They emphasize compound lifts that really should be at the core of any program.

Programs like Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting for Women could just as easily be done by men...but those books are written specifically for women due to the irrational fear of the weight room that many women have. These programs are more "general fitness" oriented programs. These programs hit on certain elements of strength, body building, and muscular endurance...well rounded general fitness programs.

I'm partial to strength specific programs for beginners...these build an excellent foundation for going forward with other programs and you get a lot of exposure to the big compound lifts that you will generally find to be the foundation of most lifting programs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.
    If she works with someone a few times on form for all the moves, sure.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

Why, out of curiosity?

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.
    True enough. But it does call for them. I don't oppose them, in the slightest. Just think it's an easy move to do very wrong.
    Squats are easy to do very wrong too. Someone posted a back injury from that yesterday. Perhaps I'd just suggest folks work with a "real" trainer before doing compound lifts and free weight lifts in general, if they are a true beginner. I say "real" because I don't mean the purple people at Planet fitness.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... the best program is the one that is tailored for your goals and makes use of the equipment you have access too. It has nothing to do with gender.

As a beginner, I'd suggest Starting Strength. Get a session or 2 with a trainer and learn teh lifts/movements with minimal weight, then dive into the program. If you can't do a PT, then spend some time with youtube looking at vids on form/technique, especially for the deadlift and the squat.
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

1x5 on Deads, but I agree that form should be established.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

1x5 on deads
    Yes. I know. Still easy to do wrong. I see folks doing them wrong often. Especially at my university gym.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I edited
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Why, out of curiosity?

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.
    And if you use the 5x5 app, as a woman, it's easy to go too heavy too soon. I've seen it. The OP says she's pretty much a noob at lifting. I'm gonna go with: get with someone good the first few times.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?
    ermagerds, da deads are breakin' ever'body
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP, read this, might be interesting to you.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/women-shouldnt-train-like-men