Need breakfast ideas!

sourpatchkids
sourpatchkids Posts: 15 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Are bagels a healthy choice? I have no idea. Help!

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Maybe whole wheat? Englishn muffins are lower cal though
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Bagels have a lot of carbs and more calories than I like in them... but bagel thins only have 110 calories I think. I'd go with that. :happy:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    My favorite quick & easy breakfasts are smoothies & oatmeal or brown rice with cinnamon, cashew milk, vanilla & fruit.

Smoothies are my staple! I put 1 cup spinach or kale, frozen or fresh berries, water, sometimes half a banana and some supplements I like. (check out my diary if you want to see)

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    You can get Bagel Thins...they aren't the greatest but will help you stay under calories vs a regular bagel.

I like cereal a lot, its quick and easy. Kashi Original is really good for you, and helps keep you full. You can add in fruits and it becomes really good.

I also found this (because I was just looking up more breakfast ideas this morning lol).

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/the-you-can-do-it-diet-breakfast-choices-/?page=1
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    You can buy Weight Watcher's bagels which only have approx. 140 calories! They're excellent for breakfast!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    eat oatmeal with diced fruit. or egg whites wapped in a whole wheat tortilla :)
  • A plain bagel is not the best choice because white bread has very little nutrients, and yes, lots of carbs. Carbs can turn into fat in the body if it's unused. If you have to eat a bagel, go for a whole grain or whole wheat one if you can. Otherwise, make sure you are active enough throughout the day to burn off all those carbs you consume in the morning.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Breakfast has always been a hard meal for me to eat....
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Bagels have a lot of carbs and more calories than I like in them... but bagel thins only have 110 calories I think. I'd go with that. :happy:

i eat lenders 100% whole wheat bagels, aand they are closer to 200 cals, but there is near 400 sodium..thats what i watch out for, as i personally think cals and fat are easiest to gain back
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    I have 3 different breakfasts that I eat
    1. Whole Wheat English Muffin with fat free cream cheese and sugar free preserves (black berry is my fav.) and some egg whites
    2. Turkey bacon on wheat toast with fat free mayo and fat free cheese (lettuce and tomato)
    3. Oatmeal, egg whites, and fruit. If I eat a banana I only eat half of one and put it IN my oatmeal.

Like they said-they DO have whole wheat bagels..but you can get English Muffins that are only 90 calories. Add the cream cheese and fruit/preserves and you only have around 150 calories or less :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Bagels have a lot of carbs. If you want carbs in the morning, Id stick with fresh fruit. My breakfasts usually consist of cottage cheese, fruit and a hard boiled egg or ill do a Shakeology shake (no dont worry I am not a Beachbody coach). Occasionally, I will have an English muffin, egg whites, bacon and 1/2 of a slice of Kraft singles.
  • Hungry Girl Ginormous Cereal Bowlnanza.
  • Acome48027
    Acome48027 Posts: 12 Member
    Don't eat any - sets a bad precedent for the rest of the day.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    THey do have alot of carbs but there are always other healthy choices. Maybe English muffins. I try to only eat carbs one meal a day..... so if the only carb you have is in the morning.... GO for the BAGEL!~!~!

Oatmeal is a great breakfast, hardboiled eggs are good too. (I like to have 2 eggs, but I only eat one yolk), they are good for "one the go" as well .... Fiber One has a really tastey Mini Wheat cerial... Fiber One also have bars. They Chocolate Chewy is Delicious with coffee and so is the apple struttle.
  • sourpatchkids
    sourpatchkids Posts: 15 Member
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions girls! I'm going to try all of them out!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    For bagels (well, pretty much everything, really), I go with whole wheat. I also only eat a half bagel at a time.

My breakfasts don't vary much. I often have a protein shake-I get the Total Soy shake by Naturade. It tastes good and fills me up better than some. Other than that:

Smoothies (these really fill me up nicely). I put blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries, orange juice, carrots, raw spinach, and sometimes yogurt, and I use at least one of the berries frozen. Sometimes more.

Egg burrito. I use egg beaters and/or egg whites, cooked and put into a low fat, low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla (they're called Xtreme Wellness; I buy them at Sam's, but I've seen them at Wal Mart too). The tortilla is 71 calories. The egg is usually around 40-ish calories. Sometimes a little bit of cheese with it. Veggies are nice too.

Fruit and oatmeal. Self explanatory. ;)

Cereal with skim milk and some blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    I view bagels as a maybe once or twice a week kind of foo, just because they are kind of high in calories. However, I do tend to go for whole wheat, whole grain, or fruit & nut bagels when I do have one.
  • TheEnd10
    TheEnd10 Posts: 20 Member
    Sara Lee has mini bagles. You get the real bagle feel that the thins are lacking, but they're just smaller - and only 100 calories. Once in a while I like to use a Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge like you would cream cheese....yum!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Hard Boiled Eggs are my favorite, sometimes I eat them as is, sometimes I make egg salad out of it (with lowfat olive oil mayo and mustard) and I put it on Sarah Lee 35 cal toasted bread.

Oatmeal with fruit in it

Turkey BLT's on 35cal wheat bread

Premade fruit salad that I make the night before, throw in Tupperware and take with me in my car, sometimes I throw some yogurt on it too.

Fruit Smoothie with protein powder (I love it with crunched up ice in it too)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Great Question.....

I do have a Everything bagel EVERY Friday (if there is any left at work) but heres my secret::blushing: ......
    I SCOOP OUT THE BREAD:laugh: with light cream cheese or Laughing cow wedge. when I enter the bagel in my diary I do .75 but thats just me.....

I refuse to deprive myself.... thats my common ground....Slow and steady :)

Good point TNAJackson!!! Bagel thins are really good to for 110calories!

Subway has some REALLY good choices too under 200 calories....

Wasa Crisps (crackerbread is not hard at all) 60 calories for 3 pieces and I put 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole or laughing cow wedge for 35 caloires...
This discussion has been closed.