Insanity - start date: 20th October 2014

Options
ok, I had my fit test this morning and here are my results:
Switch Kicks: 120 - much better than I thought (90 was more what I had in mind)
Power Jacks: 60
Power knees: 120
Power jumps: 50
Globe jumps: 11 - not as good as I thought (I had 14 in mind)
Suicide jumps: 22 - slightly disappointed at first but then it actually means just under 3 secs pre rep, which actually is not bad at all
Push up jacks: 43 - disappointed; I thought I would reach at least 50, maybe 55.
Low plank oblique: 100
total: 526;
I don't really see where I can improve to be honest; maybe 10 extra power jacks, 15 power knees,10 power jumps, 5 globe jumps, 3 suicide jumps, 10/15 push up jacks and 20 low plank oblique; I really don't think I can improve by more over the course of the program; which would take me to a total of: 604. Not a massive difference but I guess we'll see.

My only concern is that I felt something in my left thigh; like a small strain in my quad; I hope it will be ok tomorrow for the plyometric cardio circuit; fingers crossed.

My measurements before are as follows (metric system)
height: 177cm (5.10 inches - just under)
weight: 68kgs / 150pounds
waist: 81cm / 31.9inches (so, say 32 inches)
hips: 83cm: 32.7in
chest: 103cm/40.6in
right arm: 32.5cm / 12.8in
left arm: 53cm/ 20.9in
right thigh: 53cm/ 20.9in
body fat: 13-14% (not sure as it varies everyday)
My goal is not to lose weight but to maintain, tone up and, actually, if possible to add muscle (although I understand this is not the best program to follow to add muscle; but more definition would be welcome for sure!
I forgot to wear my HRM tomorrow so I don't know how many calories I actually burned but I will try to wear it tomorrow and to keep a record as well.

Replies

• pascaljoly
    pascaljoly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    day 2 - plyometrics: that went well, I burned 535 calories; my legs are tired now and a bit stiff. I really don't want to get injured so I hope it's just normal pain and not a strain or something like that. I think I need to up my calories intake. I thought I would do better on the push ups. I mean I kept with ShaunT but given that I could drop down and do 40 now, I would expect it to be so hard during the program; having said that, there is also the mountain climbing that wears you out so... we'll see how it goes tomorrow. At the end of today's session I did a few sit ups but nothing too strenuous. by the way, for those of you who sometimes have some pain in the knees, just like me then, I now do the squats and lunges that you go through the recovery session plus a few sessions prior to starting as an extra warm up and it seems to help. I also found that the warm up provided before the fit test was not sufficient and I decided to do it twice as I have a tendency to get injured easily so I need to focus a lot more on the warm up.
    I find that watching success stories or the infomercial is a great source of motivation as well and I don't hesitate watching over and over again on youtube.

• pascaljoly
    Options
    sorry, made a few mistakes in the above post so here it is corrected for most of them...
    day 2 - plyometrics: that went well, I burned 535 calories; my legs are tired now and a bit stiff. I really don't want to get injured so I hope it's just normal pain and not a strain or something like that. I think I need to up my calories intake. I thought I would do better on the push ups. I mean I kept with ShaunT but given that I could drop down and do 40 now, I would not expect it to be so hard during the program; having said that, there is also the mountain climbing that wears you out so... we'll see how it goes tomorrow. At the end of today's session I did a few sit ups but nothing too strenuous. by the way, for those of you who sometimes have some pain in the knees, just like me then, I now do the squats and lunges that you go through during the recovery session plus a few stretches prior to starting as an extra warm up and it seems to help. I also found that the warm up provided before the fit test was not sufficient and I decided to do it twice as I have a tendency to get injured easily so I need to focus a lot more on the warm up.
    I find that watching success stories or the infomercial is a great source of motivation as well and I don't hesitate watching over and over again on youtube.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Day 3 - I felt very stiff when I woke up this morning; I also put some ice (well, a bag of frozen vegetables...) of my left thigh last night as I can still feel a little something. this morning I felt good during the session. I burned 490 calories and I did a few weights after the session for the shoulders and the biceps, nothing else, certainly not the legs :-). I still find the push ups difficult and it keeps surprising me... I am very much looking forward to the recovery session tomorrow, I need it. I will follow it by doing some sit ups and stretches, nothing else. I will have to remember to eat less tomorrow since I will be burning less calories. Oh, I almost forgot, I made some protein bars last night; they're ok, not great but they offer 12g of carbs for 10g of protein each plus 2g of fat, so good for me since yesterday I had to eat some belvita biscuits to up my calories and this is all I had at the office and I was starving; they're good to high in carbs and low in protein so not great...
    I will try to make more protein bars where I will increase the protein and maybe try a different recipe.
    So far so good, I love Insanity!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Your full of energy, that's good!
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    ok- Day 5 - pure cardio done :) I found it difficult through the warm up for some reason and I thought "Man it's gonna be a long one...". But then I remembered those videos where I saw these people like me, digging deep, and listening to ShaunT and it gave me a boost. At some point, I did get better throughout the session and in the end, I had forgotten about my struggle at the beginning :-). I burned 460 calories during this session; plyo is the one where I burn the most calories. is it the same for everyone else?

Thanks Kangoojumps! are you following a particular program?

as for me, I am going to youtube more protein bars and make some over the weekend;
    have a great day all of you
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    tomorrow is plyo! I am going to need it as I am taking my 5 year old daughter on a "date" for her birthday; she wants to go to crazy tykes (soft play area) and to the restaurant; and I am not eating a salad when I go to the restaurant; will probably have a meat calzone (folded pizza) with a cheesecake or apple tart for desert... am drooling already. it's all about balance, right? so I feel comfortable doing that.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    also, what can be better than my wife telling me that I look good! love her!
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Day 6 - did it on Saturday; it felt good so I added the cardio abs in the end even if it was not part of the program for the day (although I skipped the warm up in this session as I obviously was warm enough...) and I finished with extra push ups (70). Yesterday was a rest day and a cheat day in the evening re my diet as I had dinner at my in-laws and the food was awesome and I had 3 deserts... sorry, couldn't help it; I figured if you have to cheat, do it well...
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Day 7 - rest day; much needed; sometimes you don't realize how much you need something until you get it; these little pleasures in life :)
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    day 8: cardio power and resistance; done! I felt good after my rest day yesterday; started with 10min rowing to warm up then did the squats and lunges that you do during recovery day and then dived into the session; I burned 490 calories in the session itself; afterwards, I did some weights; overall I burned 750 calories; not bad and really needed after my massive cheat meal of last night; although, it might be that the extra energy this morning came from all the sugar I had last night. glad to be on a nice diet today though;
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Insanity Day 10 - Plyo: Done! I added the usual 10 min rowing plus a few squats and lunges as a warm up; after the session, I did some weights plus some assisted pull ups (can't do them on their own right now, not enough strength) and some assisted dips; I am now pretty tired. Very much looking forward to the recovery session tomorrow!!! might do a cycling class before though as it's no impact but I can't promise that I will be pushing hard if I am too tired; overall, I burned 800 calories today and 530 for insanity only and I exercised for 1hour 30min. I must admit the session was hard today and I was thinking "I can't wait until it's finished today as I need the recovery". But hey, it's all about digging deep right? So I did and I finished the session as always.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Insanity day 12 - cardio power and resistance: Done :-) I felt better that I thought I would considering I felt slightly sick last night and completely drained. come to think of it , I did eat something that tasted funny a couple days ago and let's just say I spent quite some time in the bathroom yesterday so maybe that explains a bit more how I was feeling yesterday. I actually pushed pretty hard today and burned 519 calories and my heart rate went higher than normal but I was still able to recuperate fairly quickly. tomorrow it's a 2 sessions day with pure cardio and cardio abs and Monday is the second fit test... I am still not improving on the push ups and I did less today during the session that I can normally achieve, weird. oh well, we'll see on Monday what the results have to say.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Insanity Day 13: did it on Saturday; felt good although I was looking forward to my rest day afterwards; my stomach is still not great, I don't know why; I wonder if this is this new healthy diet that my body is trying to get used to.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Insanity day 15: fit test ok, so I have improved on the 7 first exercises and maintained the same level on the last; this is a better improvement than I anticipated as I didn't think I'd improve at all or certainly not by this much. so here are the results (in brackets are my previous results for each exercise): Switch kicks: 132 (120) Power jacks: 62 (60) Power knees: 130 (120) Power jumps: 70 (50) Globe jump: 12 (11) suicide jumps (burpees): 25 (22) Push-up jacks: 50 (43) Low plank oblique: 100 (100) total: 581 (526) Overall, very pleased with the improvement. strange though as I don't feel like anything has changed in me; same weight, same measurements; I have lost 1% body fat or close to but weird since I can't see where... also, note that I often do the session and some other stuff afterwards so not sure whether the results would have improved that much without the extra workout.
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Any suggestion re the amount of calories you guys are consuming?
    I am still unsure as to whether I am doing it right. I mean I do try to stick to the macros as per the Insanity diet plan (40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat) and obviously these have to come from healthy food so I am ok on this one. but, if I followed the amount of calories indicated, I feel like it would be a little too much; having said that, I have increased my calories intake quite a lot in order to get closer to the targeted amount but my weight or other measurement haven't changed in the last 2 weeks. I do feel hungry though even if I eat every 2 hours, 3 max. I spend so much time on MFP it's insane :smile:
    anyway, any tips are welcome, as well as suggestions. one last thing, the only measurement that has come done slightly, by approximately 1% is my body fat percentage; which is great!
  • dcaschetta
    dcaschetta Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great job staying on top of your posts! I started up my own thread to keep track of the workouts. I might follow what you're doing just to stay motivated. :smiley:
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Insanity Day 16 - Plyo, Done! OMG it was hard today for some reason. maybe it's because I've had 2 bad nights in a row but from the beginning I was like, man that's gonna be a long session! but I did it and am glad I did; after I went to do some weights, pull ups/chin ups, dips and push ups. Now I really feel like I need some food; porridge, protein shake, apple. just about to have my first protein bar of the day as I don't think I can wait till lunch time...
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    @ dcaschetta; thanks for the comment; I do feel like it's helping and I always welcome comments/advice as one can always learn something. I love insanity to be honest, it's the first time I do it but I think it's brilliant. How can you sweat that much and feel great about it? probably cos we're insane, right? I think you should go ahead and start your own log book and I can guarantee that I will be reading it and provide support as much as I can! remember to dig deep and keep pushing play :smile:
  • 152jurgen
    Options
    Great work! I am now on day 9 of the program. I also follow the nutrition plan ((40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat) but I also feel like that the amount of calories they proscribe are somewhat high. I should take 2500kcal :o but I actually feel fine at 1800-1900, no hungry feelings at all that is, so that is what I follow for the moment. Make sure to eat whole grain products to keep a satisfied feeling as long as possible, keeping the hunger away.

Keep up the good work!

Jurgen
  • pascaljoly
    Options
    Thanks Jurgen! I am maintaining my weight by consuming around 2,400 calories at the moment so I will keep doing it and see how it goes. apparently, in the first few weeks it's hard to see any changes since your body retains water in order to protect your muscles and once it gets used to it, it releases it and the weight starts to drop. to be fair, all I want is to drop my body fat % and replace it with more muscle (although not too much). I wanna be leaner, more defined and stronger; that's why I have started (2nd session today after doing insanity) adding pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, push-ups and weights; I am getting into calisthenics at the moment as well but I need to be careful as I get injured easily; getting too old for this :smile: