130 Pounds to Lose and Need Help

Options
I am 38 years old. I have failed at every attempt to lose weight. Today I have decided to make a change. I need motivation and help to get chocolate and fast food out of my life for good. I am tired of failing. I don't have a support system at home and I am hoping to meet some friends here to help me.

Replies

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly but one thing that really helped me to clean up my diet was saying... "I DON'T eat fast food" If I say I "CANT" eat it I feel a lot more deprived and more likely to fail.

Also theres nothing wrong with having chocolate in moderation... if you are able to eat it in moderation. if its a trigger for you to eat everything in sight, then I'd stay away for a while.
  • barbiedoll2244
    barbiedoll2244 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat!!! I've started, and started diets and exercise multiple times, and failed. I know my motivation is in the right place, I'm restarting AGAIN, today, to get in shape for my 30th! I have about over 130 to lose!!!!!!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it Helpmelose! I'm down nearly 100lbs, and have a long way to go. Let's get there. Can discuss some of what's working for me, and what hasn't, if you want more depth. Basically, it's more/mostly whole foods, lots of greens and veggies [raw and cooked], leaner proteins, fruits [just love berries!], and less or little processed flours and sugars. I've also completely eliminated sodas. Even the zero cal versions have their problems and were appetite drivers for me.

Exercise will depend on what you can do in your starting condition. I still do lots of walking and some elliptical for cardio. I am lifting weights to retain as much muscle mass as I can as I lose weight.
  • Rubyew
    Rubyew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome. MFP is the only place that has worked for me, I have no idea why maybe it was my mindset and this fantastic free resource together but the amount of information, support and guidance available is awesome. Feel free to add me as a friend. I have been here for 21 weeks today and have no intention of leaving. My outlook to eating and moving about has changed, and it has been and will continue to be very hard some days but so worth it. Set yourself small goals and tackle each day at a time. :)
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I put on loads of weight because due to an injury I stoppped playing the sports I did but never changed my lifestyle. But had a good long chat with myself one day and cleaned up my act. Dont stop eating things, its just eating them in moderation and not as often, you will find that small changes will make big differences, I am happy to help, motivate in any way I can. But in the end you will find out you can achieve anything, when you put your mind to it.
  • myecho88
    myecho88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself struggling to cut the crap out of your diet, try this, it really helped me, for one or two days, eat like you normally would, then eat tasty healthy food you like for at least 4 days to a week...you wont feel deprived because you'll notice a huge difference in how you feel. More energy, better moods, less groggy and achy in the mornings. Once you take notice of how better foods make you feel better, you'll start to make better choices regularly and it will become easier. I cut soda entirely out of my diet, once in a while i'll have it and instantly be reminded of why i stopped drinking it.

Also important, don't lie to yourself. Be honest with yourself about what you're eating and how much you're exercising. You can't lie to your body, the more convincing you need to do, the less results you'll get.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am looking to lose over 100 pounds so I can relate to you. The one thing that keeps me away from fast food is reminding myself how awful I feel after I eat it. My stomach aches and I feel tired and get a headache. By avoiding it, I feel a lot better.

Feel free to add me and we can support each other!

Best of luck :)
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like any tips or advice etc. MFP is an amazing community, I lost 17 kgs in the past two years and I always thought it would be impossible. But it's not :) You can do this!

Perhaps this can help you get started:
    - Scan all your cabinets, fridge etc. and throw out/give away anything you consider as unhealthy. If you're not sure, scan the products with the MFP app to see how many calories/fats etc are in there, and if you still think it fits within your new lifestyle. I know throwing away isn't a good thing, but neither is eating it all. So give it away or... just get rid of it. Eating it all before you start losing is of course very counter productive ;)
    - Get a kitchen scale ASAP. Start measuring everything you eat for two weeks, be perfectly honest. Goes for both drinks, snacks, meals etc. and after two weeks you (or others if you are willing to make your diary public :smile: ) can see what is going wrong where and what to do with it. While at it, try to be healthy already of course! And let's take it from there!!

Good luck!!!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take a starting photo and make yourself some mini goals--5 or 10 pounds at a time. There are some amazing people on MFP that have lost over 100 pounds, read the success stories. Make some friends on MFP to chat with and share problems and successes. Try to log on everyday and log your food regularly. If you haven't I would make an appointment with a nutritionist and have her help you set up some good healthy foods that will work for your lifestyle. Also, if you can join a gym and get some exercise. Most gyms will help you set up a program for free. Its okay to eat "junk" food and chocolate once in a while, just include it in your calories. If you can't afford to join a gym, try to get outside and walk a little everyday. Wishing you the best.
  • crystalwenner1
    crystalwenner1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Add me I'm in the same boat! I'm here! I just starred today and I'm hoping to find a weight loss buddy to chat with in good times and bad! We can do this together!
  • Jen_1964
    Jen_1964 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you. I am 50 years old and have been here over 90 days. Trust me you want to lose it now because as you get older it comes off much much slower. Cut out all fast foods and soda. Make small changes at first and keep adding smaller changes as you go, it all becomes easier. When I started I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without stepping up and then bringing the other foot up to the same step and hanging on to the banister for dear life. Just 22 pounds down I now can go up steps one at a time and not hang on........I joined a gym (which was hard for me to do) and forced myself to go diligently until I started to enjoy it. You can do this!

Jen