Only squatting the bar

Replies

• badholland
    badholland Posts: 67 Member
    Everyone is so helpful, lots of tips and things to think about. Thanks so much.
  • Nothing wrong with using just the bar! I am researching lifting programs now and it seems like many actually suggest starting with just the bar. Learning correct form up front is critical to avoiding developing bad habits.

I plan to stick with just the bar until I am sure my form is perfect. I will increase very gradually over time according to the program but only if my form remains solid
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2014
    I still start my warm ups with just the bar, and I'm seven weeks in to my program.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    HaiLDodger wrote: »
    I still start my warm ups with just the bar, and I'm seven weeks in to my program.
    Almost everyone I know does their first warmup set with just the bar

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Don't wrap the bar as one person suggested. You will get used to it. When you get into heavier weights, the pad will just allow for the bar to slip. I squat near 600lbs and don't use a pad and wouldn't dream of it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Oh yes, don't use the pad.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well...it's been 9 months. And yeah...free weights are a hell of a lot different than machines; free weights don't assist your lift...you do it all yourself.

It's nothing to be ashamed of...I've had a 7 month hiatus from my Oly-lifts due to injury...that's a long time to not practice a couple of very technical movements...I'm currently only using the bar for snatches and only about 95 Lbs for cleans until I get my form back...you do what you have to do.

Nobody is going to take off that much time and just start where they left off...you lose adaptive strength pretty quickly when you're not using it.

I know this is a little off topic but how long did it take you to get the flexibility in wrist for front squats? Or do you do front squat different without the clean?

- My coach is very good at making sure I keep my elbows high in a front squat or when receiving the bar in a clean ensuring that most of the weight rides where it should rather than putting strain on my wrists.

- When I first started out, we spent several weeks just doing a lot of mobility work and stretching and only used a PVC pipe for the technical movements. I still warm up with a PVC pipe or broom stick and mobility work before I lift. I started out pretty light with front squats to make sure my form was good and I wasn't killing my wrists.

- Yoga

I can tell you though, my wrists hurt in the beginning...not so much these days, but definitely in the beginning. Wraps help too, but the best thing is just to work that mobility with very limited weight. It's annoying...but it's the way to go.

Thanks, I was wondering about this too! I am practicing with a light bar and I feel so discouraged.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    I used just the bar for leg and arm day for ever!! Gotta start somewhere
  • bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    When I first started I couldn't even use the 45 lb bar! I started with 10 lb dumbbells and worked my way up... Now I squat around 130 lb 5x5 and keep moving up! Be proud that you are doing it at all... some people can't even say they are trying ;)
  • badholland
    badholland Posts: 67 Member
    Hi all, thanks for the input. I did purposefully avoid usung the pad because I've read before that it's a bad idea so glad it looks like I made the right decision :)

Can anyone tell me where my hands should be? Should they be above my shoulders on the bar quite tight or wider towards the ends of the bar? I've looked at a few videos and watched people in the gym and I can't find a consensus. I feel like this might be why my shoulders/arms hurt.

Thanks everyone.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2014
    badholland wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the input. I did purposefully avoid usung the pad because I've read before that it's a bad idea so glad it looks like I made the right decision :)

Can anyone tell me where my hands should be? Should they be above my shoulders on the bar quite tight or wider towards the ends of the bar? I've looked at a few videos and watched people in the gym and I can't find a consensus. I feel like this might be why my shoulders/arms hurt.

Thanks everyone.

You can hold the bar however you want - typically there are lines on the bar, that's where I put my middle finger, and my hands are definitely not right on top of my shoulders or else I would break my wrist - widen your grip for comfort, keep the bar on your traps and not your neck, and you should be good to go

Edit: I use the term "however you want" loosely
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    8797266167c34c67372ab7887cfdea2a303f2ef6c554a47607689e1232a3f9da.jpg

DONT STOP! KEEP GOING FORWARD! You wont be at 'just the bar' for long, it's a scientific impossibility if you do it regularly.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    sounds like me, I squat the bar on the smith machine!
  • yoovie
    oh dont do that though.
  • Soloud
    Soloud Posts: 220
    I bet you could do better
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    edited November 2014
    If you don't wish to ask the blokes at the gym, check out some youtube or BB videos. When you get to the gym, grab some light weight and squat with a mirror on your side. This way you can see yourself from a side perspective and compare your form to what you found in youtube/BB.

• yoovie
    ^~~~ DO NOT EVER DO THIS. Under no circumstances should you ever squat while looking sideways or having your head turned.

If you HAVE to see your reflection, turn 3/4 instead of half, so you can see in your peripheral vision, but DONT turn your head. PLEASE.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    badholland wrote: »

Thanks everyone.

Typically, you want them in close. However, where exactly you hold the bar depends a lot on shoulder mobility. I hold a few inches out from my shoulders.

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    If the bar is hurting your shoulders put it further down, push your shoulder blades together for the bar to rest on. I do this as my shoulders are boney and it would hurt too much.
  • yoovie
    yeah, it isnt supposed to rest on your shoulders, it should rest across the back of you, with the meaty part of your traps in back making the perfect shaped cushion.