Accountability Buds

Options
Hey all!

I am not new to MFP, but I have neglected it for quite some time. This past weekend I looked a photo and did not like what I saw. I have let myself go...again and was a wake up call to get back on track. I am a new father and husband. I work 12-14 hour days (I work in the city, live in the burbs. 2 hour commute inbound and outbound) and never have time for anything. These are the excuses I have given myself to push off dieting and exercising, or to just order that chinese food. Not anymore! I can't.
I want to set an example for my daughter and I want to be happy with myself. I hate being tired all the time, lazy, insecure, etc. with being out of shape and unhealthy. I want to take back control of how I feel and look. I want to set the right example and I want to look damn good come Summer.

I'm looking for some MFP buds to help keep me accountable, provide tips and tricks, and just have someone to talk to that is going through the same thing as me. Fitness has always been overwhelming for me, dieting even more so.

I'm excited to meet some new people and start seeing results!

Replies

• howmanykatiebs
    howmanykatiebs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey McBeardsly! Welcome to MFP...your story sounds like mine (well apart from we don't have kids yet). But, I've made those same excuses for long enough and had one hell of a shock when I realised I'd gained 12kg since getting married alone (I didn't even slim down for our wedding!!) again summer photos are to thank.

That was 57 days ago. I'm 10.6kg down with another 10 to go - always happy to have fellow healthy life strivers on here as buddies. It makes a real difference.

Shout if you want any tips or suggestions and good luck. Will add you.

K
  • lemantelli
    lemantelli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I understand that feeling completely. I have sporadically been using MFP for the past couple of years, but can never fully commit. I work 12 hour shifts as well and make the same excuses, but I am officially dubbing this month NO Excuse November. We can do this together!
  • JustCallMeTes
    JustCallMeTes Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Would love to have a few new friends who are as determined as I am to get it right! We got this :)
  • McBeardsly
    McBeardsly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm excited to see that I am not alone! I really like that "No Excuse November" and I think that is a good theme to get into a healthy routine! I would love to hear from you guys what you are doing to hold yourself accountable and what you do with your diet
  • drrae65
    drrae65 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm looking for! I found out that MFP has a news feed type of thing that shows updates from friends & I feel like that will be pretty motivating. Rather than scroll through IG or FB, I can scroll though MFP and read about my friends' diets & exercise. You can even post status updates i.e. say something inspirational about weight loss. I'm really determined to lose weight & having friends with the same goals will be really helpful (:
  • RiseandGrind77
    RiseandGrind77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    lemantelli wrote: »
    Hey! I understand that feeling completely. I have sporadically been using MFP for the past couple of years, but can never fully commit. I work 12 hour shifts as well and make the same excuses, but I am officially dubbing this month NO Excuse November. We can do this together!

I like this- "No Excuse November" Get'em!!!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am on everyday. 92 day streak right now. I too am a new parent, my boy is 5 months old, and I know how it is to feel like you have no time to do anything. If you are working 12-14 hours a day and have a 4 hour commute daily I would say about the only time you could find to hit the gym would be around lunch time. This is what I do. If they have you in there 12-14 hours a day, see if you can negotiate an hour for lunch and find a gym close to your work and hit it up. You can eat lunch on the run, either on the way to or back from the gym. I do this daily, as I also work 12 hours a day, though I don't have anywhere near the commute that you have. Good luck.
  • McBeardsly
    Options
    That is a great idea. There is a gym in my building and fairly cheaper then other gym memberships. I did want to clarify that my 12-14 hour work day includes the commute. Work is very flexible. I don't have a set list of duties to do, but just end goals (the perk of sales). But I will look into getting to the gym instead of going out to lunch (which I did everyday).
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It works for me. The gym is typically less crowded at lunch as well. With it being in the same building you work in, sounds perfect for a lunch time gym session.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As my boyfriend says often, "Dang, babe, I didn't know they were still serving Workahol this late!" Yeah yeah. I respect stay-at-home moms but I don't have much in common with them sometimes, so a few more workaholic friends (with or without kids in tow) would be nice. Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • rferrar1
    rferrar1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I'm starting (again) today. I'm 33 years old and am expecting my first child, a baby girl, any day now. I know that free time is going to be severely limited once she arrives but I'm motivated to use whatever free time I do have to get back in shape and be healthy.

Some background. I stepped on the scale yesterday and was shocked to see the number 266. I had hovered around 240 for 5 years or so and stopped checking myself on the scale about 6 months ago. Man, I've done some damage. 240 was already plenty overweight. I used to be in pretty good shape but packed on about 20 pounds six years ago after I tore my Achilles tendon. My other Achilles has tendinitis. In the past, whenever I noticed myself slacking, I could hop on the treadmill and drop weight relatively easily. With the injuries, I simply can't walk/run to lose weight. The irony is that it's the weight itself that is preventing my injuries from healing. No excuse November though, so, I'll find a way.

We got ourselves a little new "dads with newborns" group.
  • McBeardsly
    Options
    rferrar1 wrote: »

We got ourselves a little new "dads with newborns" group.

Ha. I like it. The stress and strain of becoming a dad is just a whole different level. It is so easy for me to cave and blame it on parenthood! I'm really happy to see you are in the same boat! Congrats on your new addition!

Also, to everyone else, thank you for the support already! I'm shocked actually to see the positive responses. Please hold me accountable, call out my bluffs, and make sure I commit! I'll do the same for you.
  • FitGoofy
    FitGoofy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a new parent as well with a 6 month old daughter. Always looking for friends to hold me accountable. :)
  • klolittles
    klolittles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    While I am a stay at home mom to three littles of my own, I also nanny two additional kiddos, so time is insanely tight for me. My day with kiddos starts at 7am and ends at about 8pm. I'd love to tag along and get help with accountability!
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 3, wife and full time employee, I too would like some MFP accountability friends as well as be one.. Feel free to add me!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me; accountability is my middle name.

Congrats on the baby! I have two wonderful boys. They're preteens now and I'm finally working on my own issues. Kids do suck up your time but also provide a lot of opportunity for getting outside and doing stuff. There's really no reason not to go hiking with the baby backpack or walking/jogging with the stroller.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of sitting around, too. My husband and I both put on weight when our kids were toddlers/preschoolers. We spent too much time making sure our kids are healthy and happy, and too little time taking care of ourselves.
  • helencornes1
    Options
    Hi, love the no excuse November idea. I work 12 hour shifts that are very physical work. But, I would love to be accountable for what I do on my days off. I need to push myself to do more on those days. I would love to join an accountable group.
  • amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A story that sounds so close to mine. Welcome! I'm a new member as well. In just a couple of days I've talked with some pretty inspiring people. If you'd like to add me as a friend, please do.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • vinniehughes33
    Options
    As I am not a new parent but I am a mom of 3 teenagers and they are not as active As I wish they would be. I myself am a single mom and I am working full time again after a long move and being off work for 5 months I have let myself go due to mariage worka nd kids all excusses I know. I am looking for support and motivation to keep me on track. PLease add me NO MORE EXCUSES FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLease dont be shy please add me as a friend
  • SC_Robert
    SC_Robert Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey man,
    I work 12 hour shift too. The struggle is real! The only way I've found to do it is to cook food for a few days at a time and take it to work with me. You can add me as a friend if you want.
    Anyone can add me too. :)