Egg Muffins-Portable Omlettes?

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
I am looking for a portable breakfast to take to work. I don't eat until I get to work, about 4 hours after I wake. Does anyone have good recipes for eggs in muffin cups? Do they freeze well and heat up well? I thought that would be a perfect size for breakfast.
Some of the items I have on hand are: eggs, whole grain bread, ham, turkey sausage, black beans, cheese, etc. I don't want any processed stuff like Laughing Cow or any lite or fat free stuff as they have too much sugar. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    I made some a while ago. I didn't exactly have a recipe, but i made of mixture of beaten eggs/egg whites, then added spinach and whatever other veggies i had, and some shredded turkey. Then i poured them into a muffin pan and cooked until they were set. They were delicious! and you can make all kinds of different ones. I never tried freezing them, but i kept the left overs in the fridge for a few days , and they heating up very nicely. (:
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them! Just reheat for a bit.

1 1/2 tablespoons bread crumbs
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped spinach
    3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped basil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    4 large eggs (I would use egg beaters)
    1/2 cup fat free cream cheese
    1 cup 2% milk
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.

2. Spray muffin tins with Pam non-stick oil, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs.

3. Cook onions in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes.

4. Whisk together eggs, cream cheese, mozzarella, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fold in the remaining vegetables and herbs.

5. Pour evenly into muffin tins.

6. Bake until top is golden and custard is set in center, 15 to 20 minutes.

7. Cool slightly before serving.

Nutrition Facts

Calories-135
    Total Fat-8.8g
    Sodium-196mg
    Carbs- 4.5g
    Protein- 9.3g