Slimming World

Options
Hi :) i am thinking about going back to slimming world and following their diet for a little while is anyone else on here doing the diet if you are feel free to add me :bigsmile:

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    and that is... ?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    A quick search tells that slimming world is a site you pay to join and they tell you what to eat. They supply recipes, you make them,

Supposedly you do not have to count calories but that is because they are already calculated.

Hey, if you got the money and feel that it will help your self-control, why not.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    On MFP ( which is free ) they give you your calorie allotment for the day, you just fill them in with food you enjoy :happy:

Simple (free) and it works ( free ) !

Just sayin ....
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I just went to the website and the 1st thing I noticed was "join and save $50." This tells me that it must be pricy.

Save your money. Utilize MFP (free weight loss tool) and log your daily activity and food intake. It works when you stick to your given calorie allowance. You will lose weight.

At least give it a try and if it does not work for you, spend your money.

If you rather just spend the money, then hey to each their own.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    That would be the day I would pay someone to tell me how / what to eat .. but guess something is needed to fuel the rip off what is the weight loss industry.

Sorry OP, it is so not needed, all you need is a deficit. Personally I have much better things to spend money on.

I would really reconsider that decision. There are tons of successful people here, that should tell you something.
  • Darkladyv
    Darkladyv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I joined Slimming World in the UK yesterday after seeing a number of people I know get incredible results in a short space of time! The extra easy plan allows you to eat whatever you want, as much as you want, whenever you want as no food is forbidden. It's healthy home cooking and watching your fat intake. I can't wait to see how I get on. Good luck to you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World too

back when you had green days and red days (eg carbs no protein = green / protein no carbs = red) - it's all low fat stuff too and has Syns to eat treats

but it said you can eat as much as you want of free foods so on a Green Day you could have 54 baked potatoes and on a red day - 3 chickens / 2 cows etc with the vegetables - of course you get full

so it worked

but as soon as I stopped - Ping - just like magic I put back the weight plus more because you know what hadn't happened - I hadn't reassessed my portion sizes or developed healthy habits - I'd just restricted my food choices

so yes it's a short-term fix - but long term I'm doubtful

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OR you can just stay here, (free) and eat at a deficit.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

1 nail hit on the head here.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    And then
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

and then the money you saved you could buy smaller sized clothing. Win Win
  • Cattawall
    Options
    I did slimming world last year, lost weight and for various reasons stopped going and the weight has come back on but I know thats down to lack of exercise and what im eating. I have considered going back but cannot justify the cost when there are free support systems out there that can give you the food guidance you need etc. If you have any questions on SW though feel free to add me as I still have all my books etc and use them for meal plans. x
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would rather eat what I love and keep on losing weight.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World for six months earlier this year. It has good points such as encouraging cooking from scratch and eating plenty of fruit and veg, but it doesn't really teach portion control. It also has inconsistencies like limiting bread but allowing unlimited pasta. I think it works well when someone has a lot to lose, but gets harder when you get closer to target weight.

In the UK it works out slightly cheaper than Weight Watchers.
  • trudance36
    Options
    Slimming world is brilliant - I am using this to keep track of everything but I go to SW classes, I find it really easy and you dont feel restricted :)
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I started SW in September, and find it to be really great for me. I've lost 41lb on it, never feel hungry, can make meals my husband can enjoy too (he's slim and does not need to lose any weight, lucky duck!), and enjoy treats in moderation. Because of SW, I have totally transformed how I think of food, and eat. I know what foods I can have to fill up on, and can make healthy meals from scratch. I'm also more aware of the little things that go into meals that aren't good for you. I've just found it a really helpful way to approach eating (for me anyways). I also like the fact that I can have some sweets, but because of the points, I am more aware of choosing my treats, and having them only in moderation.

I get that it might not work for everyone, and that you can lose weight without a programme (that you have to pay for), but having "rules" helps me but doesn't make me feel restricted. I also sort of like the fact that I have to pay for it. If I'm paying, then I'm not going to cheat... I'm going to follow it so that it's not a waste of money.

It's not for all, but I personally like it, and my 2-3lb/week loss speaks for itself, I think!
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    WHYY WHY WHY? Do not waste money on that.. instead look for free content.. like MFP.. and the money saved towards meals or new clothes :)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started doing SW in Sep 2010, I lost 40lbs (my first target) in 5 months. I carried on going to group pretty regularly until mid 2013, I lost another 15lbs but most of the time was a target member so I didn't pay to attend. I helped on the social team when I reached my first target - this helped me keep on track as I knew I going every week and getting weighed, and if I went out of target (3lbs either side) I would have to pay. I have kept all the weight off, and lost a bit more since. When I decided to lose my last half stone I started using MFP. I was still on SW too, and found a it hard matching them - I was so used to syn free food, but was quite shocked when the calories could really add up.

For me SW worked. I always did green days. Will try and answer questions if I can.
  • ANewLovedMe
    Options
    Hi I'm on slimming world I thought I would introduce me