I need some help.

Options
I make up what I will eat before I get to work in the morning. I pack my lunch, I usually get my breakfast from the chow hall or I grab a cheese stick and my dinner is usually homemade soup, grilled meat, or a sandwich.
I'm having an issue of eating too few calories, and I would rather not get back into the habit of snacking on candy at all hours of the day. I've been trying to stay away from Doritos, and I havn't had chips & salsa in ages. I need to find something with a happy medium, something with a good amount of calories and something that I will want to snack on.
I've been calculating what I've been eating for the past month (I had already started eating healthier and cutting back on my sodium) and I found out that I've been eating less than 1200 calories per day. Which is not good... so I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and veggies?!

i love to bring sugar snap peas or baby carrots to work with a little light ranch dressing. fills me up!

sounds like you need to eat more of the healthy stuff - fuel your body for performance!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A slice of bread is 100 calories. So is a glass of milk, a medium banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, an ounce of cheese, a tortilla, half a granola bar, a handful of nuts, a small glass of fruit juice... Just some idea of things you can easily incorporate with one or more of your meals.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    oatmeal.
    carrots (not high cal but a great snack during the day)
    bananas
    protein shakes
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Veggies are always good.

I find I would rather munch on those than chips.
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A slice of bread is 100 calories. So is a glass of milk, a medium banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, an ounce of cheese, a tortilla, half a granola bar, a handful of nuts, a small glass of fruit juice... Just some idea of things you can easily incorporate with one or more of your meals.

These are great suggestions- mostly what I snack on through the day, but I am also BIG on fruit. I know it's high in sugar, but it's natual sugar. I cut out the others "junk" sugar so I could have this... yummm!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes add juice to your breakfast try to get 100% fruit juice. Granola and yogurt is great too!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I like Almonds too for bringing up the calories and they are rich in good fats and some protein too. Also for the feeling of having a proper snack I use wheat thins stix. they are shaped like pretzels and 14 of them are 130 calories. They taste great and have a satisfying crunch to them. I love the fruits too :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein is always a good addtion, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars and shakes. Protein powder can also be added to just about anything.

Try not to go under the 1200!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I like to have my snacks made up in my purse in case I get caught up and feel hungry, so I like things that can travel well. I love to toast my own almonds, walnuts or pecans (no salt that way). I also love low fat triscuits (I'm into eating only whole grains and not enriched wheat flour), and dried fruit is always a standby and can last a long time in my purse. Also going along with my all natural food is Larabars. They are simply dried fruit and nuts and are about 200 calories a piece. I LOVE those they come in chocolate walnut, apple cinnamon, and a ton of different flavors! They taste very decadent but have no chemicals or artificial sweeteners just dates as the main ingredient and whatever other real flavors come from fruits, nuts, and spices!

I have also bought a scale so now I don't have to guess what 1/4 cup of dried fruit is; I can weigh it instead!

THink healthy! What a dilema: you need to eat more! Lucky!!!!
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    healthy nuts like almonds or pistachios
  • mt_nest
    mt_nest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have had the same problem. Bananas, nuts, fruit smoothies are good. So is a good protein supplment. The protein will help with your workouts, too.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Fruit, granola bars, and cereal. Personally when I have calories left over I give myself dessert. Probably not the best decision, but it keeps me from binging.
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Snacks — 100 Calories or Less

Sweet Treats
    • 1 Whole Foods Market Two-Bite Brownie
    • 1 Healthy Choice Mocha Fudge Swirl Bar
    • 1 pouch Keebler Sandies Right Bites Shortbread Cookies
    • 1/2 cup Sharon's Lemon Sorbet with 1/4 cup blueberries
    • 1 Skinny Cow Fat Free Fudge Bar
    • 1 Nestlé Butterfinger Stixx
    • 12 chocolate or vanilla Miss Meringue Minis
    • 5 Nabisco Nilla Wafers
    • 3 Country Choice Certified Organic Ginger Snaps
    • 1 Deep Chocolate Vitamuffin Vitatop
    • 1 Blue Bunny FrozFruit Chunky Mango Cream Bar
    • 1 pouch O'Coco's Organic Chocolate Chrisps
    Fruits & Veggies
    • 2 cups raspberries
    • 1 cup mango chunks
    • 28 grapes
    • 1 cup blueberries
    • 1/2 medium cantaloupe
    • 15 strawberries dipped in 1/4 cup Cool Whip Lite
    • 1/2 small apple with 2 teaspoons peanut butter
    • 45 steamed edamame (green soybeans)
    • 2 tablespoons each of mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes stuffed in 1/2 mini pita
    • 1/2 red bell pepper dipped in 3 tablespoons hummus
    • Salad with 3 cups lettuce, 2 scallions, and 1 small tangerine drizzled with 2 tablespoons Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing
    Dairy Delights
    • 1 Kraft Polly-O Superlong Twist-Ums string cheese stick
    • 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese with 5 strawberries
    • 1 Laughing Cow Light Creamy Garlic & Herb cheese wedge and 3 Triscuits
    • 1 Yoplait Light Smoothie
    • 6 ounces fat-free plain yogurt topped with 1/3 cup raspberries
    Savory Bites
    • 20 roasted peanuts
    • 60 Pepperidge Farm Baby Goldfish Crackers
    • 1 Jolly Time Healthy Pop 100 Calorie Mini Bag popcorn
    • 12 Back to Nature Sesame Ginger Rice Thins
    • 40 Rold Gold Classic Style Pretzel Sticks
    • 12 Quaker Quakes Cheddar Cheese Rice Snacks
    • 20 Glenny's Low Fat Soy Crisps
    • 10 Guiltless Gourmet Baked Yellow Corn Chips with 1/4 cup salsa
    Hearty Helpings
    • Campbell's Soup at Hand Blended Vegetable Medley
    • 1 Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bar
    • 1 hard-boiled egg with 1 slice Melba toast
    • 4 slices Sara Lee Honey Ham with 2 teaspoons honey mustard, rolled in lettuce leaf
    • 1 slice Pepperidge Farm Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread with 1 tsp. light butter
    • 1/2 mini bagel with 1 ounce smoked salmon
    • 1 Nutri-Grain Low Fat Whole Wheat Waffle with 1 tbsp. Smucker's Squeeze

Read more: Best Snacks -- 100 Calories or Less - Good Housekeeping at http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/healthy-snacks/low-calorie-snacks-0606#ixzz1KwlXcvFg
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    high cal snacks I LOVE:

dark choco. covered almonds-delish!
    Granola-Cascadian Farm cereal has amazing choices that a great snack
    protein bars
    granola bars...
    smoothies
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese (only 35 calories a wedge)
    add a earth grain thin bun (100 calories)

I would say eating some more protein is good. I've bought 'Body Fortress Whey Protein' powder. Low in sugar and high in protein. I'm trying to cut out added sugar with my diet but even milk has sugar (AAARRRGH)
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You might also check out http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/downloads/hundredcalories.pdf which lists 100 calorie or less snacks from the different food groups.
  • Ren0913
    Ren0913 Posts: 58
    Options
    Nuts. Nuts and fruits. Like, almonds and apples. Taste amazing together. :]
    Love ya sissy