Recommended weight lifting site or app?

Options
lessismoreohio
lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a 50 year old man and I would like to get started lifting weights. My objectives are: 1) get more muscle tone and 2) burn some calories. I don't necessarily want to bulk up. I'm somewhat new to lifting weights. Question: Is there a book, an Internet site or an IPhone app that you would recommend as a good starting point for me?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything by Mark Rippetoe - he's got a lifting program, books, instructional vids...
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 has an app that with a progressive set of simple exercises.

Here is a good summary:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, Starting Strength (Rippetoe) and StrongLifts 5x5 are good beginner strength routines. I started out with Starting Strength and it was excellent, though I did start to have issues as the weight started getting heavier...mostly recovery issues which I blame a combination of being on calorie restriction at the time as well as age.

I can also recommend the New Rules of Lifting as well as New Rules of Lifting for Life. These are more general fitness types of lifting templates and New Rules for Life is geared towards the 40+ crowd and offers alternative movements to more traditional movements for which the more "mature" crowd may have issues due to injury, etc. I got into the New Rules series when I needed to find an alternative to pure strength training due to rehabbing my rotator cuffs.

I'm doing primarily Oly stuff right now and I'm using Catalyst Athletics which is a great website for Oly lifters.
  • hamezuk
    Options
    Just started out with he Stronglifts Android app today. Like the look of it. Love that it auto ups the weight for me if I find a set easy. Think I'm going to stick with it for a while.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Thank you all; great advice.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    also depends on your goals.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you have basic knowledge of the main lifts, I'd recommend something like this: http://body-improvements.com/2014/10/23/back-of-the-napkin-lifting-programming/