weird lump on calf ?

Options
ok not really sure where to put this topic, but i figured some of yall would have better insight than yahoo answers on this, haha. i recently noticed (don't even know how long it's been there, wasnt always there) a small lump on the back of my left calf, but it only becomes apparent when my calf is flexed or i'm standing with most of my weight on the left leg. it's soft & movable i think for the most part, doesn't really hurt but it definitely bothers me seeing it. i looked online and narrowed it down to something like varicose vein/vein thrombosis or maybe a fascial hernia? it's just so weird and i don't think it would be anything dangerous/life threatening ? i thought maybe i strained something in that calf somehow during working out/walking a lot ?

would go to the dr but i dont have one or insurance, lol..

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Fibroid?

Talk to your doctor. Un-analyzed lumps aren't good things.
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    I've got this too, I'm pretty sure it's a varicose vein, not looking forward to when it starts hurting.

You can get them from putting a lot of pressure on your legs i.e. squat, deadlifts, running, etc.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i'm not sure if it's a fibroid. or any type of dangerous lump. i suppose if it is i'll just have to die cus i dont have the money for a dr right now loool

also im thinking it might be a varicose vein or something? i know that it runs in the family, and i started getting spider veins at a young age, so it might be that. especially because it only bulges/shows when there's pressure so maybe it's the vein constricting and releasing since it's not visible at all when there's no pressure.

if it gets to hurting i guess i'll have to see about trying to find a dr to look at it..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    considering what lumps can be... I'd prioritize that doctor visit.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to my mind is a lipoma. That is a small collection of fatty tissue. It is generally a clinical diagnosis. The hall marks of a lipoma are:
    small [0.4 in. (1 cm) to 1.2 in. (3 cm)] and felt just under the skin.
    Are movable and have a soft, rubbery consistency.
    Do not cause pain.
    Remain the same size over years or grow very slowly.
    http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/lipoma-topic-overview
    Mike
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Rule number one with any sort of lump. See a doctor.