Yoga

Options
So I really want to start getting into Yoga. I want it for my body and my mind. I don't really know alot about it as I've never really done it before.....just a little here and there that someone would throw in the end of a cardio workout. Does anyone have any good suggestions and to how I should get started? Are there good DVD's out there for beginners or an introduction to Yoga?

Thanks!!

Replies

• 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    You may want to do a little research on the types of yoga that you may be comfortable with. For example there is Bikram yoga (in a hot sauna-like room), Power yoga (more active/athletic), Prenatal (I did this when I was pregnant and it worked wonders for easing pregnancy pains and it put me to sleep at night), etc. I sometimes do a yoga that is core-based. Try doing a YouTube search so that you can put a visual to the yoga types before purchasing a DVD.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would recommend going to to a Yoga studio that offers a variety of yoga classes. They should have the gamut of yoga - you can normally do drop in and try different styles and see which ones you prefer.

http://life.gaiam.com/article/beginners-guide-8-major-styles-yoga

I would not recommend starting with Vinyasa or Bikram or any heated type until you know some of the basic poses or are comfortable with heat above 90 degrees for extended periods of time.
  • hamezuk
    Options
    I do yoga classes at my local gym and you can't beat having an instructor there to help you get it right.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of videos and Doyogawithme.com has tons of free ones as well. You can try a few different kinds and see what you like. Travis Eliot has a DVD set called Yoga Foundations that I"ve heard is good for beginners too. Good luck on your yoga journey!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    yogajournal.com
  • vgravedo
    Options
    I recently, over the last two months started really getting into yoga. My gym has free yoga classes on fridays and I love it! She does a free moving yoga (vinyasa). She does a beginners that flows through different poses and you really get an awesome stretch and feel totally renewed by the end. I have tried some DVD's but not each one is that same. I think I really like going to the classes in person better, since the instructor can even tell you if you are doing something wrong.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions above.

I do most of my yoga with our local YMCA. Doing it with an instructor is really helpful.

Before I started yoga, I was intimidated by the thought of the class. Figured it would be a bunch of hyper-fit contortionists who would laugh as I tried to figure it out. A co-worker that I respect recommended it, but I still had to gather some courage to go in for the first time.

I was way over thinking it.

I'm about 4 months into yoga and my experience has been really positive. I do what I can do. My flexibility has improved some. My core strength has improved quite a bit.

Even within the various branches of yoga, I find some instructors I really like and others that I don't like as much. It just depends on their style and focus. Some trial and error is needed.
  • Kelli850
    Kelli850 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of videos and Doyogawithme.com has tons of free ones as well. You can try a few different kinds and see what you like. Travis Eliot has a DVD set called Yoga Foundations that I"ve heard is good for beginners too. Good luck on your yoga journey!

I too would look at Youtube before spending money. I personally do a Body Flow (by Les Mills) class at the gym that is a fusion of Pilates, Tai-chi, and yoga. I love it and try to do it 3-4 times a week.
  • tabithamcgrath
    Options
    For me, the most beneficial part of yoga is the calming effect it has upon the mind, not just the good it does to the body.

I feel that DVDs and online videos aren't that successful, especially if you're just getting started. I found that practicing in my own home caused me to cheat myself, get distracted, skip certain sections etc. In yoga classes there are other people in the same state of mind as you, which in the past has been hugely helpful to me and plus it is always helpful to have a teacher that can correct any posing/stretching errors - best to avoid these early as possible otherwise your alignment will be all off.

I've been doing yoga (prefer Hatha) for about 3 years now and only in the past couple of months do I feel as though I can properly trust myself to have a decent session at home (or in a hotel if I'm away on work).

These are just my experiences, and I'm very jealous of those (especially their wallets!) who can take what they need from yoga on their own.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Yoga on my Wii Fit
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions above.

I do most of my yoga with our local YMCA. Doing it with an instructor is really helpful.

Before I started yoga, I was intimidated by the thought of the class. Figured it would be a bunch of hyper-fit contortionists who would laugh as I tried to figure it out. A co-worker that I respect recommended it, but I still had to gather some courage to go in for the first time.

I was way over thinking it.

I'm about 4 months into yoga and my experience has been really positive. I do what I can do. My flexibility has improved some. My core strength has improved quite a bit.

Even within the various branches of yoga, I find some instructors I really like and others that I don't like as much. It just depends on their style and focus. Some trial and error is needed.

I definitely second the part about different instructors. I am particular about the instructor.

I went to a morning class and it was at 5:30 am (I am not a morning person) and the instructor was nice enough, but her focus that morning was splits and she had a very brisk pace, or I could have been still asleep. Full on splits at 5:30 in the morning is just a tad much for me. I might go back and even go to her class again, but wow, I wasn't ready for that.

My evening classes are fuller, but tend to focus on a mood or thought, which I find enjoyable. The physical part is still the same. Last week was love, last night was intention & honesty in speech and speaking the truth to yourself.
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I can't wait to get started.
  • imawookie2
    imawookie2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently added vinyasa yoga two days a week, to my workout schedule - run 3 days and work out with my personal trainer 3 days. I have to say in the past 6 weeks I noticed the most dramatic weight loss results. Maybe this is just the right recipe for me...but I think the yoga made the difference