Treadmill calorie jump

Mickers36
Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
oooook my treadmill has decided to be generous and I'm not too sure if it is correct or if I messed with it somehow, it has gone for 467 calories for a 2 mile run at an incline of 2, with a speed of 4.1 mph and a half mile walk at 3.4 to now approx 800 calories for the same thing. Does anyone else out there do anything similar to this? I just need to know if I should add the 467 or the 800 for calories???? Now really - eyeroll
Thaaaanks!

Replies

• WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    I would suggest that you compare your TM suggested calories to other sites that calculate calorie consumption for all kinds of activities. You just punch in your stats (normally weight, time and incline and speed and it will spit out a number for you.) I like
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php for that, but there are others too. A google search of Treadmill incline 2 calories burned will lead to results also.
  • Mickers36
    Thanks!
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    I agree... estimate using some online sites and then pick somewhere around what you think is reasonable. Most of the treadmill calorie counters are CRAZY inflated. This morning the treadmill said I burned over 600 cals for 30 min running and my HRM only said I burned 220!

When in doubt, underestimate!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Assume you burn ~ 100-125 calories per mile (at most).

Dreadmills are known for being crazy inaccurate.
  • Mickers36
    Yeah I think I will go conservative! Dumb thing - just another reason to swear at it. Maybe I should get a HRM??
  • ljrain
    ljrain Posts: 7
    I am new here, switching for caloriecount.about.com to track my walking. What is HRM? I am also going to look at that site mentioned http://www.caloriesperhour.com to check against my treadmill. But I am on average at 100 cal per mile at 3MPH, not sure what incline, that doesn't work anymore (but I doubt there is much of an incline).
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    a HRM is a Heart Rate Monitor

i would seriously suggest to anyone to get one...my treadmill told me i was burning 2000calories on a 2hour run...got a polar ft4 and it's burned only just half that
This discussion has been closed.