Back Exercises

Options
Hello all...

I'm thinking I'll eventually start lifting heavy weights (January likely). The reason I've been holding off is because I know my core and back muscles are pretty week so I'm hesitant to start doing heavy lifts (eg. deadlifts) without first strengthening those muscles a bit.

My core seems to be noticeably weaker than people of similar fitness to me. I figure if I can do two months strengthening my core and back, I might be able to prevent injury just a little better.

Are there any exercises I can do at home that would help particularly? I only have those 5lb and 10lb weights (from before I knew better haha) and my body weight to work with for now.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Planks are great for core strengthening as you hit all supportive core muscle groups. Side planks are also good. You can do deadlifts with your own body weight and add on extra weight by holding stuff in your hands, a bucket with water in it for example increasing the amount of water over time. Hip bridges, bird dogs and any kind of abdominal exercise is also good.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I'll give those exercises a shot.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I good way to start lifting heavy is by just using the bar itself and adding weight once every week. Helps you work on your form. If your form is bad, your destined for injury down the line. Meaning you can be starting right now...
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Look up Blogilates back workouts and blogilates core workouts on youtube. I find them very effective.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Just start deadlifting with light weights. Gradually add weight and your back and core will gradually get stronger. You deadlift as a means of becoming stronger; training to become stronger before you start training to become stronger is asinine unless you are recovering from an injury.
  • browndog1410
    Options
    Sometimes incidental training helps the core. Any exercise where you are lifting weights whilst standing helps out (yes, deadlifts are excellent). Don't forget your upper back either (pull-ups are probably one of the best bodyweight exercises).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone! I'll look into this :)

@Lofteren, the reason I'm concerned is because I know several people who strain their backs dead lifting when it's really supposed to be more of a hamstring exercise (of course it's compound so it will work your back too, but it shouldn't strain too much). I've heard that if you "feel it in your back" it means your back is a little too weak to be doing it and I know the bars you usually use are quite heavy even without plates. But I could be wrong. I'm not sure where to look to find correct info?
  • traveler61
    traveler61 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had sciatica for awhile now and have found that planks don't hurt me. They will strengthen your core and they are harder than they look.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    starting strength, stronglifts. you start with the bar. basic beginner's linear progression program. maybe some assistance like planks.

starting strength dot com is as good a place as any to start. with good form (It's fair to say that the people you know who claim to have hurt themselves were using poor form or too much weight or both) and light weights, you'll help your situation
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

@Lofteren, the reason I'm concerned is because I know several people who strain their backs dead lifting when it's really supposed to be more of a hamstring exercise (of course it's compound so it will work your back too, but it shouldn't strain too much). I've heard that if you "feel it in your back" it means your back is a little too weak to be doing it and I know the bars you usually use are quite heavy even without plates. But I could be wrong. I'm not sure where to look to find correct info?

I see back strains with improper form of deadlift.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Think of the DL as a full-body movement. The glutes, hamstrings, and quads might be prime movers in the exercise but your whole body is used to help stabilize the movement. If your gym has 10lb bumper plates you can use then you might just consider deadlifting; 65lbs should be fairly light for just about any healthy adult.

On the other hand, if you have a mental block about doing the lift then you might actually risk an injury more because of that than a deficiency because you'll be hesitant. You can't let your head get in the way if you know what I mean. In that case it wouldn't be horrible to spend 4 weeks doing some stabilization endurance training first.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Look up Blogilates back workouts and blogilates core workouts on youtube. I find them very effective.
    Is that blogging while doing pilates?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

None of what you just said was true. Search for "so you think you can deadlift" on youtube, start deadlifting light, gradually increase the weight and profit.
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just had to second the blogilates comment - it's the best!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ^^ double likes
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you are intent on waiting to start with the deadlifts, for now do weighted hyperextentions for the lower back and probably some barbell/dumbbell row for the mid- and upper-back
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the weight lifting is what actually fixes what you are waiting on.