Up by Jawbone vs Fitbit Flex

Options
The Up by Jawbone is listed on Groupon right now for 50 bucks, normally 129.00

I've been dying for a fitbit flex but haven't pulled the trigger because I really don't like spending money on gadgets for myself, but hell this month is my birthday and i'm going to treat myself...

Trying to decide which one to go with, any thoughts one way or another?

I have a HRM with a chest strap, and yes I know that is more accurate, but I want a glorified pedometer as well....Get the deal or get the flex....help me decide please. :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and love it. However, I'm actually looking to replace it with one of the 2 new fitbit models that come out next year that have HRM functions as well
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that is the original Up, the one with no bluetooth. You have to take it off, remove a cap and plug the bracelet into your phone to check your steps. The new one, Up24, is the one that's $129.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have the jawbone up and like it because I don't have to remember to put it on. It also tracks your activities by specifics, including Zumba.. The workout tracking is great now because I'm on crutches so not logging steps. But I do log extensive exertion and have been logging my walks as circuit training. $50 is not bad. I paid $99 on a convention special.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yes it looks like you have to plug it into your phone....Weird....

but man, 50 dollars less....my frugal cheap self.....

I do think I would want to get one of the newer Fitbits....but I don't want to wait....
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone Up, and honestly don't find it to be useful. The sleep tracking part isn't accurate, and plugging it in to see your steps is frustrating. It would be better to see a running tally so you know when to move more.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I decided on a Jawbone UP 24 after looking up reviews For both UP and Fitbit. Each have their own strengths so depends on what suits you the best. The more expensive UP 24 has wireless connection to your phone but not UP. I think it would be incredibly annoying to have to plug it in to check your progress.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    ok thanks guys...I think I will still go with the flex. :)
  • Kellierahne
    Kellierahne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also have an UP24, and I think it's pretty cool. The sleep tracker *seems* accurate. I mean, I have no way to check it, but it does show that I toss and turn more when my boyfriend sleeps over. Also, you can set it to wake you up in the morning and I have mine set to remind me to get up and move around during the day if I haven't in a while (desk job).
    The battery lasts a good while between charges, it charges quickly, and you can wear it continuously except in the water (or other liquids if you like to swim or bathe in acetone or something)
    I've never used a Fitbit, or any other tracker thingy for that matter. So take my one-sided review for what it is lol :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    yes it looks like you have to plug it into your phone....Weird....

but man, 50 dollars less....my frugal cheap self.....

I do think I would want to get one of the newer Fitbits....but I don't want to wait....
    The Flex is nice but if you wanted a Fitbit Charge, it's out now. It has a full display and caller ID. I think it's $129, though.

As a woman, I think the Flex with it's colored, changeable bands and smaller size is nice, too. But the ones that clip to your bra are literally close to my heart. ;) And a Zip is only $59, and will probably be $49 around Black Friday. They all get cheaper then.

The ones with heart rate don't interest me. If I'm going to monitor that I'll use a real HRM with chest strap.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    awesome comparisons everyone, thanks.
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had to replace my Jawbone UP twice, and my Jawbone UP24 three times due to them no longer syncing. I enjoyed the band, but they seem poorly made. I preferred my Fitbit Force, but returned it following the recall. Now I'm waiting for the Apple Watch.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    ya the caller ID feature really doesn't interest me much....and I do have a real deal HRM so I think the flex is my best bet.

I considered the zip or the other clip one, but I feel like i'd lose them...I am sort of worried that it won't be accurate if i'm pushing my kid in the stroller or typing, but some people say it's ok and some people don't. Hopefully I'll be one that's okay with that.

I guess I should wait until black Friday, that's a good point, that's near my birthday anyways. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    ya the caller ID feature really doesn't interest me much....and I do have a real deal HRM so I think the flex is my best bet.

I considered the zip or the other clip one, but I feel like i'd lose them...I am sort of worried that it won't be accurate if i'm pushing my kid in the stroller or typing, but some people say it's ok and some people don't. Hopefully I'll be one that's okay with that.

I guess I should wait until black Friday, that's a good point, that's near my birthday anyways. :)

The fitbit app actually has a feature now to track walk/running with GPS. I either use that when I pushing my kids in their stroller or I stick my flex in my pocket.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    oh good to know thank you!!!!!