No Thyroid + Weight Loss = Possible?

Options
I had my thyroid removed about two years due to cancer. Since then I've been on Levothyroxine; my dosage ranging from 150 to 225. I have also been putting more and more weight on. I did lose about 17 pounds a few months ago (couldn't tell now though) by adapting a clean, organic diet. The problem with that is, I live in a small rural town and we don't get a lot of produce come fall and winter months, and what we do get is so outrageously priced I couldn't afford them even if I wanted to. I'm tired of struggling with my weight, I'm 26, I should be in the best of my life right now, but I'm exactly the opposite. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I had my right half removed due to cancer so I have half of your problem LOL. Honestly, if you're on medication and your levels are normal, it shouldn't affect weight loss. It doesn't matter WHAT you eat, it's HOW MUCH you eat. Stick to a calorie deficit and the weight will come off. I lost 90 lbs a few years ago, had a baby, and recently lost 45 lbs by doing nothing fancy, just eating less and moving more.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds since my thyroid was removed, so it's possible for some of us!! Synthroid doesn't bring magical weight loss. It's still hard work! I may have to eat less than other people and lose slower, but I still lose and that's the important thing.

Do what works for you. :)

Most grocery stores have frozen fruits and veggies, which is a big help when things are out of season.

I am not so self-centered or ignorant enough to think that since I can lose, everyone must be able to lose! I know people have bigger and different problems than I do. Just letting you know that some people have no thyroid and lose. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I am not so self-centered or ignorant enough to think that since I can lose, everyone must be able to lose! I know people have bigger and different problems than I do. Just letting you know that some people have no thyroid and lose. :)
    I might be completely misinterpreting, but is that directed at me?

• Kalikel
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I might be completely misinterpreting, but is that directed at me?

No. I didn't see your post when I started mine.

I'm also not passive-aggressive. If I had something to say to you, I'd say it, flat-out, without any BS. No need to read between the lines or try to interpret my hidden meaning, lol. It's all right there to read.

I just don't want anyone who has bigger problems than I do to think that I'm dismissing their problems and saying, "Everyone with thyroid problems can lose weight!" because I'm so not. I'm just posting my experience so someone knows that, at least for some people, it is possible.
  • SeasShell
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds since my thyroid was removed, so it's possible for some of us!! Synthroid doesn't bring magical weight loss. It's still hard work! I may have to eat less than other people and lose slower, but I still lose and that's the important thing.

Most grocery stores have frozen fruits and veggies, which is a big help when things are out of season.

I am so glad to read you have done well with weight loss after Thyroid removal. I had mine removed 13 days ago and just started on 100mg Thyroxine and will increase over time. My doc said to expect to gain some until my levels are sorted.

I have been eating lowcal and exercising prior and lost 51kg (112 pounds) this year so want to keep it going and not gain. I have had two weeks off my diet to recover and am going to start walking again today a short distance and build up a bit each day.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Removed - full post follows :)
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    (Sorry my post partially posted ... Here's the full post)

I do not have a functioning thyroid and although my exact situation is not the same as yours, I can relate to your situation. Like Kalikel said, it is more of a struggle than it is for others (that's been my experience); BUT, it can be done, slowly but surely. I'm not sure how hard it will be once we get closer to our goal weights; but I think overall if we focus on healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle we will be glad wherever we may end up (even if we are not at our ideal goal weight).

For me, the items may be available; but finances are very tight, SO, I try to buy what I can and whatever is economical for me. It may mean I don't have the variety I would like but there are little ways we can make things different and more interesting.

What vegetables, etc will you be able to buy for an economical price? If you can get the frozen vegetables (and they are not frosty - from poor quality freezers at the store), try buying them as the quality is oftentimes much better than the fresh.

If you want to send me a friend request, maybe we can share some more specific ideas.

Don't give up and keep trying ... You are at a great age to get a handle on these things. I wish you the best in your life goals :). Take care :)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    SeasShell wrote: »

I am so glad to read you have done well with weight loss after Thyroid removal. I had mine removed 13 days ago and just started on 100mg Thyroxine and will increase over time. My doc said to expect to gain some until my levels are sorted.

I have been eating lowcal and exercising prior and lost 51kg (112 pounds) this year so want to keep it going and not gain. I have had two weeks off my diet to recover and am going to start walking again today a short distance and build up a bit each day.
    It took many months before my levels were normal.

My entire adult life, I felt like crap. Then I started those wonderful pills and everything changed.

It's so fun to be able to lose weight, too. It's just a joy. (Not trying to brag or bring down anyone who is having problems with losing.)

But it took some time! Those levels weren't right when I left the hospital.

And I really do have to work hard to lose. Those pills aren't magic. I have to eat less than most and I still lose slower. But I CAN lose, which just wasn't possible before. And that is huge and exciting and fun.

I hope you have as good a result as I have had...or better. :)
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had cancer and had a hemispherectomy in 2013 - that was the push I needed to get off my bum and get the ball rolling. Lost 35 pounds and stayed at maintenace for about a year. Now I'm kicking off the last 20 pounds. It can be done! Talk with your doctor about monitoring your levels while you lose - some adjustments may need to be made to your dosage.
  • SeasShell
    Options
    I had cancer and had a hemispherectomy in 2013 - that was the push I needed to get off my bum and get the ball rolling. Lost 35 pounds and stayed at maintenace for about a year. Now I'm kicking off the last 20 pounds. It can be done! Talk with your doctor about monitoring your levels while you lose - some adjustments may need to be made to your dosage.

When I found out I had to have my TT I was already very overweight and everything I read about hypothyroidism was weight gain. I thought how the hell am I going to manage getting even bigger so that was my kick start. When I went to the surgeon he said I had to lose weight prior to surgery and kept going on about my weight. I felt so embarrassed and already hated going to doctors so hadn't been for many years.

Getting as much weight off as I could prior to surgery gave me the motivation and goal that I needed. I have worked my *kitten* off watching what I eat and exercising and it has not been enjoyable but losing the weight has been worth it. I love getting on the scales and seeing the numbers going down, down, down each week.

When I went to my preop visit the surgeon was shocked at my weight loss and very supportive. The Anaesthetist on my surgery day said I took my surgery risks from a very high which would require to be in ICU after to a normal risk. As I hadn't met him before I very proudly showed him my weight loss progress shots and he just kept congratulating me.
  • SeasShell
    Options
    SeasShell wrote: »

It took many months before my levels were normal.

My entire adult life, I felt like crap. Then I started those wonderful pills and everything changed.

It's so fun to be able to lose weight, too. It's just a joy. (Not trying to brag or bring down anyone who is having problems with losing.)

But it took some time! Those levels weren't right when I left the hospital.

And I really do have to work hard to lose. Those pills aren't magic. I have to eat less than most and I still lose slower. But I CAN lose, which just wasn't possible before. And that is huge and exciting and fun.

I hope you have as good a result as I have had...or better. :)

The doc said up to 6 months to get levels right, hopefully not that long and not too much gain while waiting.

Yes it is a great feeling losing weight and it is very hard work. I am used to the hard work and will continue to do it but am happy to slow it down a bit now (have no choice anyway haha).

I have only gained a couple of kilos already which is to be expected when you suddenly increase your calories. I enjoyed two weeks of eating a lot of things I hadn't eaten for 8 months but it stops now and I am back to counting calories again haha.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Ask them about Armour Thyroid and see what the doc thinks about that. synthetic levothyroxine was a total bust for me. I was still exhausted and fat as if I weren't medicated at all! Armour actually makes me be close to normal.
  • SeasShell
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Ask them about Armour Thyroid and see what the doc thinks about that. synthetic levothyroxine was a total bust for me. I was still exhausted and fat as if I weren't medicated at all! Armour actually makes me be close to normal.

Thanks I read up about that prior to surgery and asked the surgeon for it and he refused (no shock there huh) to give it to me. He said don't worry Thyroxine is exactly the same (again I know it isn't). I am stuck with him till my 6 week post op visit so will stay on the Tyroxine till my first blood test then I think I will switch over to a NDT.

So far I feel ok on it but its a low dose and I believe that it gets worse after two weeks when your own thyroid levels have left your body.