How do you stop cravings? Please help.

Options
I am really bad with cravings. Please advise on how to stop this. Like I would eat a healthy meals all day but at night I crave bad food when I am not even hungry. Does this happen to you as well? How long does it takes for you to get used to eating healthy all the time?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit of whatever you're craving. Depriving yourself of those things leads to binging and overeating.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Eating foods with healthy fats such as nuts or full fat dairy has helped me to stay feeling full and not crave sweets.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If I crave a sweet after a meal, an apple really helps give me the sweetness I crave and it is very satisfying.
    Sometimes I'll have some dark chocolate.
    For a salty craving, I'll have some skinny pop popcorn.

I try to fill myself up with nutrient dense food that includes a large portion of my favorite veggies, some beans or hummus, olive oil, avocado, fish/chicken/beef and sometimes whole grain/wheat bread or pasta or quinoa. Nuts or nut butters also fill me up so cravings don't get out of control.
    For me, satiety really helps me control cravings.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    My craving eased greatly when I changed up the amount of protein and carbs I eat. I go for under 100 carbs and over 120 protein. The protein takes longer for your body to process and the carbs burn fast so your body wants more.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I always save some calories for a treat in the evening. A mini York Peppermint Patty or one ounce of dark chocolate or a slice of angel food cake. I also make sure I get some healthy fats earlier in the day: small serving of nuts, lean meat, a little butter in my veggies, whole eggs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal?
    How many calories per day do you usually eat?
    What is your height and weight and how much weight are you trying to lose?

It sounds to me like you might not be eating enough.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no "bad" food. Try pre-logging your day, to include a treat or two. I haven't given up anything, therefore I haven't had to "crave" anything.
  • warriorguy
    Options
    Most of the above is good advice. I think part of the solution is to substitute......fruit in place of plain sugars; carrots/apples in place of candy bars/cake; don't look at food commercials...less TV all the way around. Get outdoors a lot to walk, run, exercise, visit a friend. Go do something good for someone else....forget the goodies you want by being good to a shutin, a neighbor, a friend in hospital. Have a goal to relieve your desire by including it in your overall calorie budget. For example, I have a 60 cal. dark chocolate nugget with almonds as a dessert for supper and not something worse. And I'm still under my 1000 calorie budget. Keep your weight a secret except for one person you trust and ask them to investigate personally every other day how you are doing on the scales. You will be motivated to work to going down in weight in order to show your friend you really mean business. Keep at it....and ask a doctor to give you a calorie budget and work on it yourself that will help you maintain the weight loss when you reach your goal. Good sweating and working to achieve.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I save 100 calories to have a treat! I like the sea salt caramel yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars. They are only 100 calories. Also I freeze red grapes and I like to snack on them while watching tv.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat a little bit of whatever you're craving. Depriving yourself of those things leads to binging and overeating.

I agree. A little of anything is fine. Put it in your calorie budget. I eat a little ice cream every night and have for 3 years.
  • Sarah_HA81
    Options
    I'm the opposite. If I have a bite of something that is considered a "treat" I can't stop myself from eating the whole package! So for me, It's replacement as my only option. I also love frozen grapes. I eat them at night pretty frequently.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I get pretty bad cravings with pizza and sushi... that will last for days. My solution so far has been to limit the amount I eat but to still allow myself to have some. Instead of ordering 3 rolls, I order 3 with some miso and a salad or edamame. I limit my pizza to once every 2 weeks and save (freeze) half of it for the between week vs eating the whole pizza in 1 or 2 days.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    What is your daily calorie goal?
    How many calories per day do you usually eat?
    What is your height and weight and how much weight are you trying to lose?

It sounds to me like you might not be eating enough.

Yes, first thing first....
  • balletgirl77
    balletgirl77 Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Since cravings are not physical hunger, you have to be able to overcome them psychologically. I used to have (and sometimes still do have) extreme sugar cravings, but the following blog has really helped me to understand what cravings really are and how to dismiss them:

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/diet-solution-blog/
    (type "cravings" into the search bar on the right side of the page; there are a number of really helpful articles)

Basically a craving goes away one of two ways: when you decide to give in or when you decide to definitely not give in. It's not even about eating the food you were craving in the first place because cravings start to diminish once you've decided one way or the other.

• FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

^That
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things that's helped me this year is just to watch the self talk, too. It can be easy to think "wow, I'm bad for having these cravings!" Instead, I've tried to just acknowledge that I'm human and have cravings! I will do either one of two things - 1) have a little bit of what I'm craving or 2) make a healthier substitution. On days I totally blow it (and it does happen), I just try to make better decisions for the rest of the day (eating less and/or working out). Last week, I actually threw in an extra workout to compensate for a treat gone out of hand. ;)
  • sshwetas
    sshwetas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get pretty bad cravings with pizza and sushi... that will last for days. My solution so far has been to limit the amount I eat but to still allow myself to have some. Instead of ordering 3 rolls, I order 3 with some miso and a salad or edamame. I limit my pizza to once every 2 weeks and save (freeze) half of it for the between week vs eating the whole pizza in 1 or 2 days.

Omg me too. I love love love sushi!

• peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've taken a different approach to this. Instead of trying to avoid the cravings of extra sweets or going out to the steakhouse with the guys after work, I use them as extra motivation for exercise. If I want to eat X then I need to run an extra mile. Or if it's within a mile or two, walking to a restaurant instead of driving. In the end, exercise calories add up a lot and you don't have to feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Well, you need to figure out if you're having cravings because you're legitimately hungry, because your macros are out of whack, or because it's an emotional eating issue. If it's actual hunger, look at your goal and make sure it's reasonable. If you're very low on any particular macro (and not on a specific eating plan that dictates that), balance your macros better. If it's an emotional eating issue, there isn't a thing you can eat that will fix your cravings, so you need to work on your head.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Brushing my teeth helps for me. Chewing gum. And constantly sipping on water.