I want abs!!

Options
FinallyFlying
FinallyFlying Posts: 71 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I've recovered from anorexia and now want a healthy toned body that includes abs! I'm 5'6, 125 lbs. and 18 years old. A typical workout routine for me is 40 minutes on the elliptical on endurance mode, 20 minutes jumping on the mini trampoline, 50-100 sit-ups, and I want to buy some weights so I can do strength training. What other exercising should I be doing and how much weight should I aim to lose? Also, how long will it take to get visible abs? Thanks for anyone could answer!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I pretty sure the look you want to get is going to mean starting a weight lifting program and less cardio. Just a hunch. For ab's to show, you need body fat reduction. Don't bother with the scale. There is no set "weight" that your abs will show. There are women on MFP who are 5'4 and in the 130-140lb range with abs. You should do a body re-comp which if I remember correctly the exercise focus is strength training/lifting and eating at a slight deficit or to maintain.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've recovered from anorexia and now want a healthy toned body that includes abs! I'm 5'6, 125 lbs. and 18 years old. A typical workout routine for me is 40 minutes on the elliptical on endurance mode, 20 minutes jumping on the mini trampoline, 50-100 sit-ups, and I want to buy some weights so I can do strength training. What other exercising should I be doing and how much weight should I aim to lose? Also, how long will it take to get visible abs? Thanks for anyone could answer!
    Maintain your current weight for a few years and just exercise both cardio and resistance.
    After what you've been through, losing weight is a trigger to a slippery slope.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    just remember - having a low body fat % isnt the same thing as having a low weight!!!! Often you weigh more, but are smaller. You want to build UP your lean body mass first and then I would lower the bf%.
This discussion has been closed.