Just want to cry :(

Options
This time last year I was in the best shape of my whole life. I had lost 4 stone, felt amazing and so very proud of myself. One year later..... I'm in tears because I've let a horrible few months get to me and now I'm 2 1/2 stone heavier. Nothing fits me, I feel bloated and lethargic and if I'm honest, completely out of control. I want to get that confident girl back who I was, only a year ago.
Is anyone in the same boat? Would love some friends for support x

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself "aw, we all make little mistakes" and jump back into being healthier. Things in life happen and we fall off the path. Just jump back on. :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pull up your bootstraps and get back to it.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bloating...make some green tea, get some quick water weight loss and it will motivate you to get back on track. It's the first two weeks that are the struggle, once you get past that hurdle you will be back on the road to healthy!
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When you fall off the boat, don't stay in the water lamenting that you did, climb back aboard.

The first step is acknowledging you messed up. Now start over counting calories. Anybody can get in shape as long as their health is their top priority! You will be back in no time.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I feel your pain as I am also in the same boat. I lost about 48 lbs in 2012 and gained back 18 lbs last year because my mom died and had difficult time dealing with it and also because of lot of travelling. Now I am back on track and more determined than ever since last 11/2 of months and I am already seeing progress in my weight loss journey. Life is a struggle but never give up. No point in crying....take actions to fix it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Step 1. start logging again
    Step 2. Create a deficit based on what you see in your diary
    Step 3. Throw in some exercise to be healthy
    Step 4. Add some friends to make the process fun while building a support group

Doesn't look too impossible :)

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You got there once, and you can do it again. I've gained and lost so many times in my life that I lost count. One time about 15 years ago I lost over 125 pounds and then I gained it all back within a couple of years. I know it's hard, but don't give up on yourself. This time around I am doing things a whole lot differently. I've changed the way I deal with stress. I eat things I love still instead of leaving myself deprived. I work treats into my daily calories. This has helped tremendously. I've dealt with a lot of stress recently. Starting a new job, a loss in the family, and stress over other family things, but I've somehow managed to keep my diet in check. I think it's just because I'm doing things completely differently now as I learned from past mistakes.

Maybe figure out what you can do when life throws you some curve balls because it always will. It sounds cliche, but look at your relationship with food. Figure out why you turn to it when you're stressed. Weight loss for many of us is a mental game. Until we figure out what got us here in the first place and how to better handle stress without overeating, it will be nearly impossible to keep the weight off long term. I know this from personal experience. You can do it for sure, but it may take doing some things differently this time around so that your weight loss is more sustainable even during times you are stressed.

Good luck. :)
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've done the same thing. Mine was just over a longer period of time. Lost over 100 pounds, working out every day, best shape of my life. Now..... gained about 70 pounds back and what shape? Can't lift like I used to, can't fun like I used to. So back to starting over. That's the hardest part - I know where I was and where I'm at now - no comparing them. Especially in the gym - that just kills me. But I know you gotta start somewhere, so I'm starting again.
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I really do. I was in the same boat earlier this year. As my start to the year was terrible, it was at that one moment I had a word with myself. I had let things go and there was only one person who can turn this round and that was me.

So with the help of my friends & family at home and MFP I have turned myself around. It all starts with the small changes that will make the big difference, but once you get the ball rolling it will get easier.

There are loads and loads of us who have all been in the same boat, I just make the right choices now but still enjoy myself, its not a stuggle its just changing your mindset to things, but you can do it!!!!!

We are all here to help all you have to do is ask, and people will digg ou tblind to do that.

Good luck & wishing you the best
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ive been there.

The only thing that'll fix it is to get mad (in a healthy way) and jump back in without any procrastination or overthinking it. Just go for it. Just do it. Get past the new Day 1 and move back towards 6 months of consistent awesomeness.

Start today. Not tomorrow.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Ive been there.

Start today. Not tomorrow.

This!!

I think a lot of us have been where you are. It sucks, but you just need to get your head back in the game. Today.

• yoovie
    Options
    the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be. waiting is just shooting yourself in the foot.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The only thing to do is make your mind up that you're going to succeed again and do it. I know how you feel, I've been there several times myself. But nothing is stopping you from jumping up and getting back on the weight loss plan.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    All the advice given was good. I'd just add to remember that you did it once, you can do it again. As long as you did it a healthy way before, I'd do it the same way
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    We all (well at least most of us) struggle with this. There is no failure short of not trying. Take a deep breath, remember why you started in the first place and start doing the things again that you know work for you. My friend gave me some great advice on this, he said; "Yesterday ended at midnight."
  • yoovie
    Options
    unfortunately, calories and missed workouts yesterday still matter today.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get myself back on track for the past couple of months. I lost 40 lbs using MFP in 2012, then I got pregnant with my 4th boy in 2013 and had him almost a year ago now. I was using nursing as an excuse but since I'm not nursing anymore, I don't have any excuses. I could sit here and say that my kids are my excuse because I have 4 of them, I work full-time, blah, blah, blah. But, a 20 min workout only takes that, 20 minutes. I'm only holding myself accountable for it and I CAN DO THIS AGAIN!!!! And so can you!!! Jump back into it now, not tomorrow. So what if your diary looks awful, it only shows you what you are eating so you can get rid of the garbage.......