Do you find “food presentation” important?

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
Do you find “food presentation” important?

In my opinion, food that looks good (presented properly) is more appetizing. Colors, placement and combinations can be a big plus. Nothing is worse than eating meals that scream it is a “diet dinner”. No matter how delicious something might be – a dirty plate, cheap flimsy paper plate or microwaved container seems to reduce the desire to taste. I prepare many items in advance so prep-time is minimal.

Early morning BREAKFAST (until mid-morning snack): Egglands Best - Large Egg, 1 ; Hunt's - Snack Pack Sugar Free Strawberry-orange Jello, 1 gel cup; Ore-ida - Hash Browns Southern Style Diced Potatoes, 0.3335 cup; Lite Toast, 0.5 slices; Delmonte Diced Peach Cup - No Sugar Added 0.5 cup; TOTAL CALORIES: 135

_DSC4124_breakfast_zpsec6dc808.jpg

(I make my own low-calorie slaw.)

scallopsandwich_zps43004b40.jpg

73641431.png

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think this is one of many reasons restaurant foods is so appealing! Making food look yummy makes it irresistible!

I've been known to make chicken salad/tuna salad right in the can... and it definitely doesn't make it look appetizing. lol

There's definitely something to be said for making food an "experience" for all your senses. I've noticed your meals have a great variety to them (which adds color and taste).

I'm pretty sure your writing the book on how to make healthy food look tasty right? :wink: You should! Now I want to go shopping for some pretty dinner plates... Amazon here I come!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it tastes good. I don't spend time making my plate of food look nice when I'm just going to shovel it all down my throat within the next 5 minutes anyway. Restaurant food is one thing, but at home? Nah, no need.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have time for that at home. In a restaurant, it's nice but quality and taste are still paramount.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    at home I dont care. In a restaurant yes
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I cook, I barely manage not to get food poisoning. If the thing is in front of me, I'll eat it whether it looks delicious or terrible. Besides, I tend to associate an elaborate presentation with that food from posh restaurants... the kind with the weird names and weird stuff I won't eat even if I was starving.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's a bonus, I wouldn't call it important
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

The first bite is always with the eyes...
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The main thing I like to do do is if I have a TV dinner i put it in a real bowl to eat. Looks so much better:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Here's something interesting I read about on a restaurant that used to get great ratings, then they dropped dramatically, so they checked their cameras for a week to see what's been different.

Before people would order within 8 minutes after arriving months before. Currently people order 22 minutes after arriving because they are now taking numerous photos of the place and with friends and drinking before ordering.
    Also, when food arrived, people would start eating it. Now, people are taking photos of everyone's plate, Tweeting or Instagraming it and then the food gets cold, so some of the feedback is that the food could have been served hotter.

So the restaurant didn't change from previous service behaviors, the customers behaviors have changed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Here's something interesting I read about on a restaurant that used to get great ratings, then they dropped dramatically, so they checked their cameras for a week to see what's been different.

Before people would order within 8 minutes after arriving months before. Currently people order 22 minutes after arriving because they are now taking numerous photos of the place and with friends and drinking before ordering.
    Also, when food arrived, people would start eating it. Now, people are taking photos of everyone's plate, Tweeting or Instagraming it and then the food gets cold, so some of the feedback is that the food could have been served hotter.

So the restaurant didn't change from previous service behaviors, the customers behaviors have changed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That is both interesting and frustrating! I can't imagine how the restaurant owners feel about getting negative feedback that is directly due to customer behavior. Also, I know I'm in the minority, but when you go out to eat, just eat and chat. No need for all the pictures, is there? That's not a negative reference to this thread. Those pictures are taken for a specific purpose.

Then again, this is why I don't use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat better, less and more slowly if food is presented nicely. But I can be lazy and hungry so sometimes I'll just throw what I'm eating on a plate and eat it :L But I do find the meal more enjoyable when I present it nicely on a plate.

Also that slaw looks amazing, can I have the recipe? I love coleslaw, but rarely eat it because of the calories and fat content.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Smart parents have been employing this tactic for a long time. Making food look fun makes it more appetizing for kids and will encourage them to eat foods they've never tried. It requires very little extra time to prepare - just a little creativity.

r81zog2eyk8z.jpeg

http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/toddler/5-food-art-recipes-that-get-picky-eaters-to-eat.aspx

88r1t83xzig4.jpg

i5krxubzuzal.jpg

http://www.parents.com/recipes/cooking/kid-friendly-food/dinner-detox-for-picky-eaters/

Which steak and greens meal would you rather eat?
    ipbeeru1xmnn.jpg
    nwgt3eow6czb.jpg

Which one of the steaks took longer to prepare? Probably about the same time. Added bonus: the prettier steak used less dishes. Who doesn't love less dishes?!

Ever watched that TV show Chopped? Presentation can be achieved in very little time.