is there a Healthy easy mayo??

Options
shaddowstorm
shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
edited October 2014 in Recipes
is it possible to make mayo without oil?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be mayo. But depending on what you want to use it for, there might be alternatives like Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of mayo, but for recipes that include mayo, I use Greek yogurt. Potato or egg salad, etc. area ll quite tasty with Greek yogurt.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be mayo. But depending on what you want to use it for, there might be alternatives like Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese?

^^This^^ Mayo is an emuslion of oil, egg yolk, a splash of vineager, some mustard powder and that's about it.

I have found that the commercially prepared one made from olive oil tastes good (not quite the same as traditional mayo), and it has significantly less calories than the traditionally made one.

Good luck!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I agree with the greek yogurt lol. That's what I use, sometimes I use mashed avocado too in things like tuna salad
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have tried the Kraft Mayo w/ Olive Oil to be good, although I only use it to make chicken and tuna salad! Half the fat/calories of regular mayo. :yum: But, it's full of oil, soo....

http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/ProductsandBrands/Spreads/Spoonables/KraftMayowithOliveOil.aspx

Here's a recipe for vegan mayo w/ no extracted oil. Too much work for me, but maybe it will fit the bill? Warning: Contains nuts.

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-low-fat-vegan-mayo-with-no-extracted.html

"Ingredients:
    Mix A:
    1 cup any non-dairy milk (except canned full-fat coconut milk) you like to drink, Original type-- doesn't have to be unsweetened
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (my favorite), plain rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (mustard powder)
    1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
    OPTIONAL (for "eggier" flavor): 1 tsp. VEGG powder (vegan egg yolk sub)
    Mix B:
    10 tablespoons cold water (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon agar powder (NOT flakes)
    3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (or use wheat starch--do not substitute other starches)"
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    I have tried the Kraft Mayo w/ Olive Oil to be good, although I only use it to make chicken and tuna salad! Half the fat/calories of regular mayo. :yum: But, it's full of oil, soo....

http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/ProductsandBrands/Spreads/Spoonables/KraftMayowithOliveOil.aspx

Here's a recipe for vegan mayo w/ no extracted oil. Too much work for me, but maybe it will fit the bill? Warning: Contains nuts.

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-low-fat-vegan-mayo-with-no-extracted.html

"Ingredients:
    Mix A:
    1 cup any non-dairy milk (except canned full-fat coconut milk) you like to drink, Original type-- doesn't have to be unsweetened
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (my favorite), plain rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (mustard powder)
    1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
    OPTIONAL (for "eggier" flavor): 1 tsp. VEGG powder (vegan egg yolk sub)
    Mix B:
    10 tablespoons cold water (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon agar powder (NOT flakes)
    3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (or use wheat starch--do not substitute other starches)"

Gonna save, 'cuz it sounds tasty. Ty!
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use sour cream instead of mayo and it works for me. Other than on sandwiches.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    On days I am too lazy to make my own mayo, I find the Kewpie brand from Japan pretty good. It's the only commercial mayo I've found that doesn't contain sugar.
  • loriwilliamson83
    Options
    I'm a HAVE TO HAVE mayo kind of girl. Especially on a sandwich or chicken or tuna salad. I buy the Dukes with Olive Oil. I think Kraft makes one with Olive Oil too.
  • TenderMoon
    TenderMoon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find reduced fat Vegenaise to be surprisingly good and I tend to be pretty picky about Mayo (at one time nothing but Hellmans would work for me). The regular Vegenaise is even better.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Only way would be not to eat it.
  • ludiball
    ludiball Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I make my own mayo in a pint size mason jar. One egg and one cup of light olive oil. Put the immersion blender in the bottom of the jar and mix. Season as desired ( I usually add salt and a bit of mustard powder). Takes less than 3 minutes. With no preservatives, it only keeps as long as the date on the egg carton but it has no preservatives and no added sugar.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    darkrose20 wrote: »

^^This^^ Mayo is an emuslion of oil, egg yolk, a splash of vineager, some mustard powder and that's about it.

I have found that the commercially prepared one made from olive oil tastes good (not quite the same as traditional mayo), and it has significantly less calories than the traditionally made one.

Good luck!

you forgot the salt...just a pinch...

*nods* Thank you :)