Knees after spin

Options
Hi everyone, so I have been trying to do SPIN 4 - 5 times a week. Wanted to know if those are bad for the knees? Any additional care I should/could be taking during or after class. Thanks!

Replies

• girlstrionce
    girlstrionce Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Spin shouldn't hurt your knees at all if you have bike aligned properly. Ask the instructor to help you get familiar with fitting the bike to your frame and height. This is key in my opinion. Helps so you're not over stressing knees, legs, hamstrings. I love spin!
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    With proper form and saddle height, it shouldn't be hard on your knees at all. If you're feeling pain while riding, talk to the instructor.
  • heel_striker
    heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Biking is generally regarded as a good exercise for people who have knee issues. I took up Spin about 7 months ago because I had knee pain and couldn't run for a while. I have never had any problems with spinning and my knees, but every case is different depending on what is actually the issue with your knees. I would suggest making sure your bike is set up correctly for your body (ask the instructor if you aren't sure), and make sure you have enough tension on the bike. If you go too fast and there isn't enough tension that can put stress on your joints (including the knees). Stretch after the workout. If you aren't feeling any pain during/after that's probably a good sign that you aren't hurting them.
  • mkhawaja08
    mkhawaja08 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I think it might have to do with my saddle height, ill talk to my instructor. Let me just say Spin really kicks your butt - I don't think I have ever sweat so much during a work out lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If your bike is fitted properly, you shouldn't have issues. I spin some in the winter, but most of the year I just ride, and I put in quite a few miles without issue.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Naw, you'll be fine. I'd suggest some lunges and some squatting just to keep your legs good to go, but last winter I was on my trainer 6 days a week, for about 13-15 hours weekly. Knees were fine.

Just make sure you have some good padded shorts. ;)
  • mkhawaja08
    mkhawaja08 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! How many days a week does everyone go spinning ?
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    mkhawaja08 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! How many days a week does everyone go spinning ?

No less than 2, no more than 3. I then use the other days as a combo of rest days and strength days. In my view, (and this is just what I think), it's best to mix it up to keep your body from getting used to any one exercise, and to prevent injury from overuse of any one muscle group or joint.