Can being sick make you gain weight?

Options
Hi! This week I have been really sick with a cold. I have worked out every day since Sunday, as is it is just respiratory, with a slight cough, but not a fever or stomach problems. I noticed that yesterday, despite eating really low calories (I was not hungry! :( ) That I actually gained a POUND. Now, obviously this is not "real fat." But why would this happen when I am sick?

Do you gain weight when you are sick?

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Your body is going through all sorts of wackiness when sick. Water retention and inflammation. I wouldn't even worry about it cause our bodies have daily weight fluctations anyway and you already know you have not gained any fat. It will go down when you are better.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Thank you, Kyla, I know it is not real, I just did not understand the why. Thanks for your help ;)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The increase in weight may not have anything to do with you being sick. It may just be part of the normal body fluctuations.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're sick, you're probably not exercising very much. The body needs rest to recover!

Put the diet and exercise program on hold when you're sick, and just do your best to recover. You'll get back on track as soon as you're feeling better.

(Bonus: Getting healthier means your immune system gets boosted, so you may catch those colds less often.)