For those ladies (and guys) afraid of the weight area

Options
Until last night, I was one of you.

About 6 months ago, I decided I wanted to get on the lifting bandwagon after seeing some awesome results here on MFP. I belong to a Planet Fitness and there are no barbells. They have dumbbells up to 75lbs/34kg, 2 racks of fixed barbells going up to (I think) 100lb/45kg, 3 Smith machines, and a plethora of other weight machines and cardio equipment. There is also a smaller room off to the side that has pink mats on the floor, and that is where they keep the very light dumbbells. That is where I have seen most of the women using the (very light) weights. And, of course, there are always tons of "bros" out in the main weight area using the heavier dumbbells/fixed barbells and taking videos of each other lifting heavy on the Smith machine.

I spent the past few months reading and watching videos on exercises and form, knowing I'm basically limited to dumbbells for the time being (I will not use the Smith machine). I practiced without weights at home to make sure I felt comfortable with the movements (and mostly so I wouldn't fall backwards at the gym while trying to squat...) Once I felt more comfortable with the movements, I wanted to find a decent full-body dumbbell-only lifting plan because I would find it easier to follow a plan than to find my own way at this time. This was actually harder than it sounds... or maybe I just made it really difficult. Either way, I finally settled on this plan from muscleandstrength.com.

I finally decided it was time to go to the gym and give it a shot. I guess I wasn't as confident as I thought I was. I would go to the gym, hop on a treadmill to get warmed up, look longingly at weight area the entire time, and then chicken out and either just run or hit some of the weight machines. I never saw a single woman pick up a weight (save for the aforementioned room with pink mats and 2-5lb dumbbells).

This brings us to last night. I decided enough is enough and I was going to suck it up and do this. I went later than normal in the hopes that it would be less crowded (it wasn't). I hopped on one of those stair machines to get my blood flowing. After about 5 minutes, I started to feel myself chickening out again. I went into the locker room to calm down and look at my list of exercises again. I felt a little better after trying to memorize the list. This was my moment. I walked out of the locker room and made a bee-line to the weights. I picked up 10lb dumbbells (started light only because I knew my stabilizers had never been worked on all those machines), and just did my thing. No one bothered me. Nothing terrible happened. I had no idea why this seemed so scary before. The only time anyone spoke to me was when one of the guys asked if I was using an empty bench I was doing my dumbbell curls next to (not a ton of space). I was now just one of them.

And then there was the bonus moment. Another woman walked in towards the end of my workout. She did not smile or speak to anyone. She looked at me, nodded, and picked up two 75lb dumbbells like they were nothing and proceeded to bench them. I said a silent "you go girl" and carried on with my workout.

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Very nice, and thanks for the link, I might give them a try too!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Solid program--I love Steve Shaw. Good for you to get out of your own way and start lifting!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I think being intimidated of the freeweight section of any gym is normal. I was intimidated as well, but now a year later, I can hold my own with the "bros" and I find myself getting looks of admiration from them from time to time. :smirk: I think having a plan and a routine helps alot so you don't feel like you are aimlessly wandering. Good for you "YOU GO GIRL"!!!
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I have been looking for something just like that to kick start my strength training program.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's really great of you. I am really afraid of the weight section - mostly because I don't want to hurt myself.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great job. I think in many things the fear of the thing is often way worse than the thing.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I feared it for a while too, once I got in there, I realized it wasn't scary at all, but a lot of fun! I really don't care who else is in the weights section anymore, I'm there to do my thing, they are there to do their thing.

Glad you made it past the first threshold, it gets much easier with time!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement :)

I'm very much looking forward to round 2 tomorrow
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
    I have another surprise that most don't realize those big guys are soft sweet teddy bears often inside and I have found in my gym they will explain and help willingly and also best motivators around if you let them into your world I really have come to respect most of them and look forward to my time in the gym when I know some of them are there