Options
2»

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    saanjana wrote: »
    Thanks all!

I am going to try to up my cottage cheese intake for sure. Nuts and nut butters are going to be another one more.

And yes, I am not a strict vegetarian, but my family is :) Which means I have to eat out for meats and that is somethign I avoid! I enjoy home cooked food, and also enjoy vegetarian food, and feel it is healthy but the protein dilemma is catching up with me.

For those of you that mentioned egg whites - do you buy the standard egg whites in a carton from the store, or do you do them yourselves by taking the yolk out manually? The egg white carton seems to be more economical and also convenient.

Thanks again guys!

Nuts and nut butters aren't great for protein.

Egg whites just buy the carton.
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    But as far as meat goes, why can't you just like... you know... make your own meat meals? I eat gluten-free for digestive purposes but I do not force my family to eat this way. If we are all eating the same thing or I make something that they can eat too, it will of course be GF. Otherwise they can eat whatever they want. Really not hard to bake a chicken breast or grill a steak when the rest of the family is eating uh... tofu? idk what veggies eat lol

If the OPs family is *strict* vegetarians, they may not even allow meat in the house.

I second seitan...and also peanut butter, seeds, walnuts, almonds, cashews.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well I am not a vegetarian but we do have two no-meat days per week so I am constantly looking for ways to get my protein intake up on those days. Nothing wrong with looking for vegetarian protein sources even if we're meat eaters, so haters, just relax, ok?! Wow!

I find that nuts are more fat than protein and doesn't help that much with my intake. I'm going for soy and lentils at the moment, on top of nut butters and other legumes. But I still find that it brings the carb intake too high. Considering vegan protein powders if nothing else brings my macros in check.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer a dietician? If not I would never take advice from a trainer. As a former personal trainer I know that it is not within the scope of practice of any trainer to hand out advice on nutrition. As a student of nutrition studies to become a dietician I can also tell you the requirement for so much protein is an absolute myth and will harm your workouts. If you want I can cite directly from the literature and textbook from my courses, specifically for sports nutrition.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I second the green leafy veggies to add proteins like SPINACH, one of my faves. Broccoli and cauliflower is great too, just not as good. :D
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try a brand of Non meat protein. I highly recommend Beyond Meat products and a protein powder called Sun Warrior.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As a lifelong vegetarian I had the same issue. Trying to force myself to eat super high protein meals/Greek yogurt/faux meat, etc.

The thing that worked for me was to drink 2 scoops of protein first thing in the morning. That got my initial 55 grams protein first thing in the morning so I could eat what I'd like for the rest of the day without worrying. I usually eat 30-40g protein in my meals without trying so I'd get 80-90.

Hope this helps!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Is your trainer a dietician? If not I would never take advice from a trainer. As a former personal trainer I know that it is not within the scope of practice of any trainer to hand out advice on nutrition.

That is absolutely true. Trainers aren't qualified to give nutrition or medical advice.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    As a lifelong vegetarian I had the same issue. Trying to force myself to eat super high protein meals/Greek yogurt/faux meat, etc.

The thing that worked for me was to drink 2 scoops of protein first thing in the morning. That got my initial 55 grams protein first thing in the morning so I could eat what I'd like for the rest of the day without worrying. I usually eat 30-40g protein in my meals without trying so I'd get 80-90.

Hope this helps!
    I am a vegetarian too. Can you please tell me which protein powder do you use? Thank you
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try Sun Warrior blend protein powder. Research it online. You will see that it is a great low carb protein powder with better sourced ingredients than others. I have been using it for a year. Mix it with yogurt or milk to add more protein. If vegan mixed with almond milk, hemp seeds, chia seeds, fruit etc...Add frozen banana to make your shakes thicker.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I personally use optimum nutrition, dymatize, or muscle milk brands. Feel free to use any brand that fits your calorie/macro goals!

Fyi not all protein sources are created equal.

For example the Sun Warrior protein as above has: 100 cals, 17g protein, 3g carbs
    Ingredients: Proprietary Protein Blend (Raw Organic Pea Protein, Raw Cranberry Protein, Raw Organic Hemp Seed Protein), Organic Dutch Cacao, Organic Chocolate Extract, Organic Vanilla Extract, Stevia, Natural Cherry Extract, Medium Chain Triglycerides from Coconut, Ancient Sea Salt, Herbal (Tea Leaf) Extract, Natural Fibers (Fenugreek, Konjac), Natural Citrus Extract

The optimum nutrition protein has: 120 cals, 24g protein, 3g carbs
    Ingredients: Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Tocopherols), Lecithin, Citric Acid, Salt, Beet Powder, Acesulfame Potassium, Malic Acid, Sucralose, Aminogen®, Lactase.

As you can see one uses milk/dairy sources and the other only veggie/fruit sources. If you can digest it I suggest whey as it has a higher bioavailability.

Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're looking for vegetarian sources of protein, but as a vegetarian myself, sometimes I do rely on fish for health protein. As always, it pays to read labels. I've found barramundi filets have almost double the amount of protein tilapia and other fish has. That's my go-to right now. Really tasty and filling.
  • maite_zaitut
    maite_zaitut Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Almond milk, Beans & broccoli. I'm vegetarian also and I have a protein bar every morning and it helps meet my protein daily intake!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My non-animal protein comes from nuts, PB2 (powdered peanut butter that tastes great and has 45cals per serving!!!), greek yogurt, eggs, quinoa, and I use BioChem protein powder. I am pretty sure they have a mix that is aimed for vegetarians. I use the plain 100% BioChem Protein Powder - 1 scoop every day (90 calories, 20g protein, 0g sugar) and have not had any issues.

I am very active and have been told by multiple nutritionists to aim for at least 100g of protein per day (I'm 5'8 and 193lbs).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I personally use optimum nutrition, dymatize, or muscle milk brands. Feel free to use any brand that fits your calorie/macro goals!

was looking online at protein powders, I'll have to keep these brands in mind - kind of tired of vanilla and chocolate and I want a flavourless one for cooking!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have used optimum nutrition gold standard whey for years--great protein