Treadmills

Options
Hi all,

I go to a gym that has two types of treadmills. Cybex and Life Fitness are the manufacturers. For the past 3 weeks I have been using the Cybex. It was very comfortable and easy to use. I would walk generally 3.8 miles in 60 minutes time and based on my weight (240) it would say I burned 700+ calories in a hour. I was suspicious of the results so I tried other Cybex treadmills and get the same results on 4 different Cybex treadmills.

So today I tried the Life Fitness and walked the same 3.8 miles in 60 minutes and the results were 300 calories less than the Cybex. If I had to guess, I would say the Life Fitness was more accurate. At least that is what my shrinking gut is telling me :) Any opinions?

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I quit following what the treadmill told me and bought a heart rate monitor. On any machine, the HRM is always less than what the machine says so I use the HRM number. If I actually am buring a few more calories, so be it.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do you input your weight and age into either of them?
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As poustotah says - HRM is the best measurement.

However - I can tell you it is very likely at that pace and distance the lower # is more likely. 4 miles in 60 min = 15min/mile pace - which shouldn't be >125 calories per mile.

**EDIT - and may even be <125 (that was just an estimate)
  • cassiejoyy
    Options
    I only follow the treadmill if I'm able to put my weight, and stuff in.
  • jetsetmaven
    jetsetmaven Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My gym using LifeFitness machines. The Treadmill always matches my heart rate monitor for calories burned. But LifeFitness Elliptical count is usually 75 to 100 calories higher than my HRM. I think the LifeFitness stats is more accurate of the machines.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you input your stats it should become somewhat more accurate. Even that will still be off as all machines are. I have figured what each of the ones I use are off by using an HRM so I have a pretty good general idea for cal calc.

Hrm will solve your wondering...
  • snowflakequeen
    Options
    700, in my opinion, could be right, or close to it. Today I walked 2.6 miles, 63 minutes, on a treadmill (can't remember the brand name of it though) and burned 453. I enter my weight & age into the machine to give me a more accurate reading. You walked faster than I did, so I'd think 700 is pretty close to accurate. Yay for you - WTG!!!!
  • brwntrout5
    Options
    Do you input your weight and age into either of them?

I input my weight and time into the machine, on the stationary bike I include my age

Generally speaking, my heart rate is 135-140 ish now, when I started out it was in the 160's. But I still get the same calorie burn readings