How do YOU track the calories burned during exercise? HRM? Activity Tracker?

Options
Hello all!!

I've been calorie counting and exercising using T25 (I love it!!!). To date, I've lost just about 15lbs. I've never used an HRM to calculate burned calories during my workouts, I basically estimate based on MFP app. Then I started reading about how inaccurate these estimates can be.

Sooooooo, I purchased a Samsung Gear Fit, and have been pretty shocked at how little calories I'm burning during my workouts. I'm wondering if this gadget is just not calculating correctly. For example, after working out to Speed 3.0 for 25 minutes, and coming out of it drenched in sweat it calculated 57 cals burned. I was so disappointed!!! The next morning I worked out to Beta Dynamic Core for 25 minutes and it calculated 107 cals burned. What gives??? When I input my stats on a calorie burning app, it says I should have burned about 264 cals.

Is there a more accurate Fitness band/HRM that ya'll can recommend. I've read that a lot of MFP'ers are using the FitBit, but to my understanding that does not calculate with a HRM but instead estimates with just movements. Is that just as accurate as a HRM? Also, I'm looking for something that does not require a chest strap.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Combination of various sources. HRM as compared to apps and databases as compared to formulas I found online for various activities as compared to my perceived level of effort (generally a factor of 5-10 with 10 being a sustained level of effort for which I could not remotely even think about holding a conversation).

Having multiple comparisons helped me dial things in pretty well and eventually I just knew roughly how much I was burning per given activity. I determined that most of my cardiovascular work is around an 8 (so 8 x how many ever minutes)...weight training somewhere between a 5 and 6 and walking at a moderate 3.5 MPH pace a 5.

Ultimately, it's best to be conservative.
  • amaclean61
    amaclean61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I purchased a RHYTHM heart rate monitor - it uses no bulky chest straps or wires and easily attaches to your forearm for full wireless communication with your device. I love it. very easy to use.
  • Letsdothis1984
    Letsdothis1984 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I use a polar heart rate monitor and love it
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember, HRMs are ONLY even remotely accurate for steady state cardio exercises (cycling, running, walking, jogging, elliptical). Anything else and they are mostly pointless when it comes to calorie counts.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started with a fitbit flex but that went back due to glaring inaccuracies. Then I tried a MIO but it was scrapped in less than a week for the same reason. Now I have a Polar but it's only been 2 days so we'll see.
  • ChristyB1117
    ChristyB1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia Fit which I have used for years and love it. Also looking at moving to a jawbone up. In comparing with TDEE calculators, it seems to be fairly accurate.
  • Jackattacks28
    Jackattacks28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a polar FT7 HRM, works great.
  • taryn_caitlin
    taryn_caitlin Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use a polar FT7 HRM, works great.

Same! They're fantastic and I feel pretty bad *ss wearing mine :)

• KatyLBC
    KatyLBC Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've used a Polar FT4 for a few years! I love it!!
  • EconnieJ
    EconnieJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been looking up info on on the bodymedia fit and jawbone. So far they look promising. I had to look up what TDEE is, LOL I'm learning new things about weight loss and health everyday!!! Thank you : ) @ChristyB1117
  • bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin edge 500 with a cateye hrm when i am cycling when i walk my dog I use this site but the only thing I have found most accurate is my clothes and my mirror :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    HRM. Anyone wanting one, there's a coupon for the under Armour 39 on under armour.com right now. Its 99 bucks and the coupon makes it 30 with free shipping code : ARMOUR39 I used it saturday, then ordered another as a gift this morning, so as of today it's still good!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    *right now I have an FT7
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I use my polar receiver and chest strap. I forget the model. It uses your gender, age, weight in the calculation so I think it's fairly accurate. It's lower than the cardio machines but not by much (since my machines also ask age and weight). I generally work to keep my heart rate above zone and I know I am burning a lot of calories. I love that breathless feeling, I guess, lol. I don't go by MFP. But in any case, I don't eat back my calories so anything extra I burn is gravy.
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    *right now I have an FT7

Is that all you need? or you also need to get the polar heart rate sensor?