Sleep accountability challenge, any interest?

Options
It's becoming more and more clear how much sleep factors into health and weight. Insufficient sleep can increase your stress, inflammation, mood problems, hunger, and is linked with insulin resistance. For me, I have struggled with sleep since early high school, and I think it is a big part of my trouble with weight. I've had insomnia in the past, but the biggest thing is that I just stay up too late, and don't do the things I know would help me sleep better.

I would like to start an accountability challenge with the commitment to track sleep daily and establish better sleep habits. I wonder if anybody would be interested in joining with me? I am a health psychologist with training in sleep issues, so I'd be happy to also give some general guidance on how to improve sleep if people are interested.

Replies

• gbklvr
    gbklvr Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. How would you track?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I failed
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I was thinking a spreadsheet could work. Open to ideas :)

Lifting - don't give up so soon! :expressionless:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've been staying up till 5am and sleeping until 4pm. =\ I would love to try something like this, yet every night I can't sleep and every morning I can't wake up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I sleep roughly 4 hours a night, sometimes less. Bain of my existence while in deficit as it also adds to water retention. Believe me when I say I failed...cackling. On a positive note, I'm having my routine tomorrow and he might drug me :wink:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I sleep roughly 4 hours a night, sometimes less. Bain of my existence while in deficit as it also adds to water retention. Believe me when I say I failed...cackling. On a positive note, I'm having my routine tomorrow and he might drug me :wink:

If you can get your hands on trazedone I'd take it. That with some melatonin should straighten that out.

I have a prescription for it but it doesn't help if you are awake/wake up due to anxiety. It just makes you groggy and anxious. :P

• silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could start with a general spreadsheet tracking time to bed & waking time but it will not tell you the most important bit and that is the quality of the sleep that you do get. 10 hours with restless sleep is not better than 5 hours of undisturbed rest.

I found that by using sleep tracking devices I have a better understanding of how I sleep and made changes in my habits that have resulted in a better quality of sleep so that I wake up rested and ready to take on my day.

Tracking sleep patterns helped me, that is not to say it will help everyone but it does help me.

To track you can use devices like the Fitbits or the Gear Fit there are also some phone apps or under mattress devices that track. Use whatever fits your budget and life. Just paying closer attention is a start.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Challenge? Like competitive sleeping? I dunno. (It would be the only thing I could beat Lisa at, though, lol.)

If have helpful sleep tips you want to share, I'm all ears!! Here's what I've heard:

-Keep a regular sleep schedule
    -No caffeine, especially late in the day
    -No spicy foods or big meals around bedtime
    -No alcohol (though I found a single night of whiskey rather helped me sleep, lol)
    -Don't use the bedroom for anything but sex and sleep (I add reading, but know that's not on the list)
    -Exercise early in the day instead of night
    -Keep a comfy to cool temp
    -Keep it dark
    -Relax and be patient
    -Use a comfy mattress and replace pillows every year
    -Keep a Worry Journal (never did that, thought it was dumb, but have heard it)
    -Don't take naps (which, duh.)

If you can add to the list, please do! I know I'd be happy to hear it! :)
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I hope it helps :) I've survived on a similar schedule and it's not pretty. I was surprised to learn it but meds (at the beginning) plus behavioral changes actually may have better results than just behavioral changes.

• girlviernes
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Challenge? Like competitive sleeping? I dunno. (It would be the only thing I could beat Lisa at, though, lol.)

If have helpful sleep tips you want to share, I'm all ears!! Here's what I've heard:

-Keep a regular sleep schedule
    -No caffeine, especially late in the day
    -No spicy foods or big meals around bedtime
    -No alcohol (though I found a single night of whiskey rather helped me sleep, lol)
    -Don't use the bedroom for anything but sex and sleep (I add reading, but know that's not on the list)
    -Exercise early in the day instead of night
    -Keep a comfy to cool temp
    -Keep it dark
    -Relax and be patient
    -Use a comfy mattress and replace pillows every year
    -Keep a Worry Journal (never did that, thought it was dumb, but have heard it)
    -Don't take naps (which, duh.)

If you can add to the list, please do! I know I'd be happy to hear it! :)

Probably one one of the big ones is to be aware of light sources... at night being careful of your phone and computer because the blue spectrum light will trick your body to think it's time to be awake, so to cut those off at least 30 min before bed. On the other hand, getting light in the morning especially sunlight or using a lightbox can be very helpful.

If you actually have insomnia all of those tips are great but actually aren't the most effective components of behavioral treatment for insomnia, so helpful but often not enough to really see improvement.