How much water?

Options
Interesting article on the recommended daily intake of water. Meta analysis of recent research on hydration points to the conclusion that simply drinking until you are not thirsty any longer is sufficient for most hydration needs (special cases excepted). I'm sure this particular contribution will not settle the matter definitively, but it is nice to see research that supports what feels like the most common sense approach to hydration:

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/drinking-to-thirst-is-it-enough

Replies

• Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I believe in that approach, drinking only when thirsty. Although I drink way more than the "recommended" 8 Glasses a day.

But not because I'm thirsty.

It keeps my mouth busy and keeps me from mindlessly eating. :smile:

The only time I don't drink water is when I sleep. Which is probably why my pee is all stinky in the morning... Sorry TMI :sweat_smile:
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I drink probably 3 liters of water a day and it's because I'm always thirsty. I can't go an hour without wanting water. I've been like this most of my life so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but it feels like I'm the only one like this!
  • Milvardea
    Options
    Well, the reason your pee is all stinky in the AM is because your liver, kidneys, and most of your organs shut down or slow way down during sleep, so that you won't have to get up to pee while you're sleeping. It stinks because you have been laying around with it sitting in your body all evening.

As for the topic of hydration, I always thought that the ounce to weight ratio worked really well for keeping you hydrated. Take your weight in pounds, then drink that number in ounces of water a day. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 200 ounces. This aides in digestion, boosts cellular function, and helps to detox to body. All of which help you to lose weight. The whole "8 glasses of water" thing seems to be low balling, considering how good water is for you.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    But no single formula fits everyone's needs, for sure.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    your liver, kidneys, and most of your organs shut down or slow way down during sleep, so that you won't have to get up to pee while you're sleeping.

You must be younger, I'm up at least twice a night :(

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I drink probably 3 liters of water a day and it's because I'm always thirsty. I can't go an hour without wanting water. I've been like this most of my life so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but it feels like I'm the only one like this!

Just a thought. Have you ever had your blood sugar (A1C) tested? Excessive thirstiness can be a sign of diabetes, and not only heavy people get it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm like this too. I also always have been. I always find it weird that people say they forget to drink. (And my blood tests are all good.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

As for the topic of hydration, I always thought that the ounce to weight ratio worked really well for keeping you hydrated. Take your weight in pounds, then drink that number in ounces of water a day. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 200 ounces. This aides in digestion, boosts cellular function, and helps to detox to body. All of which help you to lose weight. The whole "8 glasses of water" thing seems to be low balling, considering how good water is for you.

it's HALF your body weight in ounces. If you weigh 200 lbs then drink 100 ounces of water per day

• WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with a gallon a day, which just happens to be close to half my bodyweight in ounces. No detox bullfeces, just plain ol' hydration.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Just a thought. Have you ever had your blood sugar (A1C) tested? Excessive thirstiness can be a sign of diabetes, and not only heavy people get it.

I haven't, but I've thought about it just to ease my mind. No one in my family has diabetes and I've always been a healthy weight so I really can't imagine that I have it, but I guess I never know.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Options

it's HALF your body weight in ounces. If you weigh 200 lbs then drink 100 ounces of water per day

Another method is drinking 1 ml for every 1 kcal you need per day. So, if you need 2,000 calories a day, that's 2,000 ml or 2 liters.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386
  • Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well, the reason your pee is all stinky in the AM is because your liver, kidneys, and most of your organs shut down or slow way down during sleep, so that you won't have to get up to pee while you're sleeping. It stinks because you have been laying around with it sitting in your body all evening.

I actually do get up in the middle of the night. Usually once but sometimes up to 4 times. ;)