Too Much Fiber

Options
Hi everyone!
I go over my fiber limit almost everyday. I eat a lot of fibrous vegetables and the protein bars I used are pretty high in fiber as well (I'm not really willing to get rid of the protein bars because they're serving another purpose for me).

So I have 2 questions about this:
1. is too much fiber a really bad thing? I don't feel particuarily bloated or anything, I've been eating high fiber for a while so maybe my body is used to it..?
2. I'm trying to put on some muscle and I know carbs are important for muscle growth. I've heard that people subtract their fiber from their carbs to get net carbs. So even if I've met my carb macro, should I eat a bit more to make up for the carbs lost to fiber?

Thanks!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I go over my fiber limit almost everyday. I eat a lot of fibrous vegetables and the protein bars I used are pretty high in fiber as well (I'm not really willing to get rid of the protein bars because they're serving another purpose for me).

1. is too much fiber a really bad thing? I don't feel particuarily bloated or anything, I've been eating high fiber for a while so maybe my body is used to it..?
    2. I'm trying to put on some muscle and I know carbs are important for muscle growth. I've heard that people subtract their fiber from their carbs to get net carbs. So even if I've met my carb macro, should I eat a bit more to make up for the carbs lost to fiber?

Thanks!

Yes, it can be a bad thing but your numbers will have to be rather high. What are you averaging on a daily basis?

I wouldn't break it out in net carbs.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking enough water to move the fiber, you're fine. Don't worry about net carbs. If you're eating in a surplus and lifting, you should be able to gain muscle.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber setting is a goal, not a maximum. Many people don't get enough fiber and if you're going over but it's not having any negative digestive effects, good for you.

Normally what you hear around here is the importance of protein for muscle growth. Carbs are important in their own right but AFAIK, protein rather than carbs are what you need for building msucles.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Yes, it can be a bad thing but your numbers will have to be rather high. What are you averaging on a daily basis?

I wouldn't break it out in net carbs. [/quote]

I'm usually averaging at upwards of 50 g a day
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I wouldn't break it out in net carbs.

I'm usually averaging at upwards of 50 g a day[/quote]

Me too. As long as your digestion is working just fine, there's no problem, and it's the sign of a great diet!!

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The only major risks to consuming "too much" fiber are intestinal - as long as everything is moving as expected, pain-free, then you're good to go. Just make sure you keep up on your water/liquid intake.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I also average about 50 a day with no problems.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    "It’s possible to get too much of a good thing, though. Eating 50 or more grams of dietary fiber a day may decrease the amount of minerals your body absorbs, especially zinc, iron, magnesium and calcium. Too much fiber can increase the speed at which food moves through the digestive tract, allowing too little time for some vitamins and minerals to be absorbed, and excess fiber intake can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea, which can cause a loss of nutrients."

Source: University of Arizona
    http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1127.html

"Although fiber is important, it is just one part of a properly balanced diet. It is possible that too much fiber may reduce the amount of calcium, iron, zinc, copper and magnesium that is absorbed from foods. Deficiencies of these nutrients could result if the amount of fiber in the diet is excessive, especially in young children."

Source: University of Colorado
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09333.html/
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I doubt you can get too much fiber from eating food. Maybe taking supplements, sure.
    A good book you might like is called The Starch Solution. that might help you work out the carb/fiber rations. I've found it to be invaluable as an athlete, altho it doesn't specifically target athletes.
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP (lurker) to post what independant2406 said so +1 to that. I hit at least 25g a day but I try not to go over 30g as I have low iron stores. Next bloodwork is tomorrow so fingers crossed I can come off my medication!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    There are 2 kinds of Fiber: soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fiber, is the kind we get from plants that are unable to be digested by our systems. This is the kind that makes you poop. Soluble Fiber is digestible and thickens things up, and could constipate you. As long as you're eating a well balanced diet, going over your Fiber "allowance" is perfectly ok.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too much fiber can obstruct your bowels--but if you drink enough water and everything's moving smoothly, then I don't see the harm.
  • retiredtch
    Options
    The food diary doesn't list the fiber in something if you scan the barcode, does it? I started trying to up my fiber intake today and just realized when I looked at my day that it doesn't show how much I had.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a host of digestive disorders and eat fiber with reckless abandon. During intense flareups, I sometimes eat more than 100g per day to help keep things going. I don't need to worry about speeding up my intestines much since food moves through extremely slowly to start with.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have GI problems, and I'm actually advised to eat high fiber. I take psyllium husk every day because I rarely hit my fiber without it. Thought looking at your diary it seems a good chunk of your fiber is from Quest bars, so I'm not sure what type of fiber that has. Lots of water is always a good plan though.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!

You really don't have a firm grasp on the science do you hun? Carbs are NOT important for muscle growth. Not even a little bit. Protein is important. If you want to put on muscle eat protein and good fats and lift weights.

And unless you are eating low carb there's really not much point in doing the whole carbs minus fibre gives you net carbs math. It doesn't matter. It's a tool low carbers use to work out how things will impact their ketosis (or fat burning state). If the fibre you're eating is causing you no ill effect, then no, it's not a problem.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!

You really don't have a firm grasp on the science do you hun? Carbs are NOT important for muscle growth. Not even a little bit. Protein is important. If you want to put on muscle eat protein and good fats and lift weights.

And unless you are eating low carb there's really not much point in doing the whole carbs minus fibre gives you net carbs math. It doesn't matter. It's a tool low carbers use to work out how things will impact their ketosis (or fat burning state). If the fibre you're eating is causing you no ill effect, then no, it's not a problem.

Performance and progressive overload (while in a surplus of calories) drives muscle growth. Carbs play a vital role in performance and recovery, so context is very important with said statement.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You only mention carbs, fiber, and protein. Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Water alone isn't going to move that much fiber through your body. It can actually do the opposite and cause bloating. Plus, if you're coming up short on fats, then you're also not getting the fat soluble vitamins you need.
  • whitecarol472
    whitecarol472 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes too much of anything can be bad!Over eating of fiber can lead to lot of issues in the body not necessarily be only bloating.
    You can be dehydrated and sometimes it leads to weight gain .
    As a part of your daily routine ensure you limit your fiber intake.Carbs aren't important for muscle growth your Protein intake matters.
    Follow the links for detailed information about fiber and its effect. I had read them on few platforms and found them helpful.
    fashionlady.in/the-side-effects-of-eating-too-much-fiber/100815
    healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/too-much-fiber
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's not a limit, it's a recommended daily intake. Unless you are eat grass or pure bran I wouldn't worry.