help, my brain is fighting

Options
My mind is trying to confuse me:
Brain part A says "don't eat X for the next 3 weeks, we're trying to break a habit".
Brain part B says "don't cut out anything you wont cut out forever, just make it fit in your macros"

A - "but I'm tring to break a bad habit, if I give in, the habit will be reinforced - I need to be strong"
B - "but how can you stick to something so strict? relax a bit as long as you have a calorie defecit it'll be fine"

A - "but you would say that because you're weak and greedy and that's how I got into this mess"
B - "well you're too strict and no fun and no-one likes you"

A - "well, you don't take things seriously, you fool"
B - "don't call me a fool, you tyrant"

A - "fool!"
B - "tyrant!"

A - "you're asking for a knuckle sandwich!"
B - "lets take this outside and settle it like men!"

What should I do?

(this discussion is aimed at distracting me from myself)

Replies

• otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Haha, welcome to my world :)
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way:

A: I am strict, to teach you discipline.
    B: I am fine, I don't need any

A:: I challenge you to do this without question for 3 months
    B: but but but grrrrrr

A: If you have no addictions or anything then you will do this to shut me up once and for all....
    B: no reply.

lol

Better to challenge than fight :)
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    don't eat x for a week, then you'll find a tiny amount tastes awesomes
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a question of what type of personal control you have. I know that I am better in keeping control to eat in moderation (fit it into my daily cal intake) then cut off completely as I have just that amount of patience/will that the "not eating it at all" will burst into "eating all of it!" only coz I am obsessing over the idea of not thinking about it ... :smiley:
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I've been without sweets for 10 days. Also trying to break the habit of eating so much.

I know your struggle. Mine goes like this:

Brain A: I'm craving a candybar...
    Brain B: Let's go get some!

Drives to the store...stands in front of the candybar...

Brain A: you know...it doesn't actually look as good as I thought it would...I don't want it anymore.
    Brain B: You made me drive all the way out here for nothing? ! Idiot.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm with brain B-don't cut out anything.
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've come up with a cunning plan to resolve this conflict.

I will allow myself to have food X in moderation (to appease brain B ) but I need to have it at a different time/place/way so as not to fall into a bad routine (to appease Brain A).

Does anyone have the phone number for the middle east? I could probably sort that one out next.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I tell my brain to shut the hell up. I tell him this is about my body and he needs to stop making everything about him.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    red_90 wrote: »
    Brain part A says "don't eat X for the next 3 weeks, we're trying to break a habit".
    Brain part B says "don't cut out anything you wont cut out forever, just make it fit in your macros"

A - "but I'm tring to break a bad habit, if I give in, the habit will be reinforced - I need to be strong"
    B - "but how can you stick to something so strict? relax a bit as long as you have a calorie defecit it'll be fine"

A - "but you would say that because you're weak and greedy and that's how I got into this mess"

A - "fool!"
    B - "tyrant!"

What should I do?

For goodness sake why make it so difficult for yourself? Keep it simple , choose the sensible option which suits you and go for it. Its almost as though you want to make it harder than it is. Get on with it.
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    red_90 wrote: »

A - "fool!"
    B - "tyrant!"

What should I do?

For goodness sake why make it so difficult for yourself? Keep it simple , choose the sensible option which suits you and go for it. Its almost as though you want to make it harder than it is. Get on with it.

you sound just like Brain C