I had my metabolism tested today

Options
Feeling a bit down about the outcome.

I had my metabolism tested and actually my RMR is higher than expected at 1915 calories. This is good. Unfortunately it appears that I tend to store a lot of fat.

I carry a lot of weight around my hips (almost all of it actually), my neck and waist is quite small. I am classic pear shape. It turns out my waist circumference is pretty much in the healthy range already and my fat is subcutaneous fat which means although my BMI is quite high I am not in the high risk for health issues related to my weight.

The downside is that apparently weight around your hips and thighs is really hard to lose and very stubborn. The doctor recommended that my goal weight would be around 83kg and doesn't think I could really get much lower than that. 83kg to me is pretty high and not my ideal weight. But apparently that's a healthy weight for me. I am feeling a bit down that I may never get to where I want to be and at 83kg I don't see myself being happy with my figure.

How do I come to terms with my body? Should I be aiming for lower despite my Doctors recommendation?

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Does it not help at all to know you're actually the healthiest shape to be? I'm the opposite. My waist, at 70kg, is two sizes bigger than my hips. Even at 55kg it's one size bigger. I feel I need to lose weight to avoid the associated health problems even when my BMI is deemed healthy.

As for when to stop, why not reach 83kg and see how you feel about it? I had in my mind that I was too old to go below 60kg ever again, but the weight came off easily once I tried and it was the last 3-5kg that made the biggest difference to my waist. At some point your hips and legs will be all there is for your body to work with, but you have to weigh that up with losing shapeliness elsewhere. At 55kg my breasts are below an A cup, so I went back up to 57kg. No goal has to be final.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so you aim for 83Kg and then you see how you feel and then aim lower if you want

you look at body recomp and start heavy weights and a programme of squats, lunges etc to get the best shape you can achieve with your body shape - it will still make you a helluva lot happier than you are at overweight

I tended to carry more weight on my lower half too, although I'm more hourglass, whilst my waist / stomach came back first, my thighs and calves have also slimmed down with weight loss and gym programme .. in fact measuring last night I've dropped 2 inches on each thigh and 1.5 inch on my calves ..
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I think I'll trust Doctors' recomended part. If you think about it, 83 kg is not that much and it really depends on what is it exactly :) What I mean is that if you focus on tonning up and most of it is muscles, you will look simply amazing! Ofc, that is only my opinion. Good luck! :)

Now, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm about 163m. 83kg is still considered overweight according to BMI. The doctor said I should ignore that as it doesn't take into account body types.

• DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well, it is true that the BMI range is quite generalised and I believe I read somewhere that it also might be a slightly bit outdated. If it worries you, you can always go for a second opinion, right? Just to have it double checked. But if I were you, I would try to do get in the best shape I can using this - 163cm, 83 kg, all firm muscles - still fantastic stats, I think :) And lowering the fat% even if you keep the same weight will reduce the size of your body overall :)

I am 175cm, at the pic you see - around 90kg. Not in the healthy BMI range, considered overweight, but I don't see it as such a big issue even tho I am trying to get to 75kg eventually. Hopefully that helps :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, not at all overweight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take the doctors recommendation and try for a body recomposition?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm about 163m. 83kg is still considered overweight according to BMI. The doctor said I should ignore that as it doesn't take into account body types.

So you are 5'4 and the doctor is suggesting 184? I would still go lower. Just set a moderate deficit, lift some weights and do some cardio. The best thing is, you can always adjust your goals as you go.

BTW, knowing that your RMR is around 1915, that means you can eat some good amounts of food and still lose weight. Lucky you!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    curious as to what involved in how metabolism is quantified?
    with 60kg lost and 34 kg to go,i would listen seriously to docs advice.
    plenty of time later on to re- evaluate.
    good luck.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lose one pound at a time and let your body do it's thing.
    Good luck sweety
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd keep on losing and see how it goes. I'm 5'6 and an hourglass shape, and I got to 70kg after my 2nd baby. I'm currently around 88kg after my third and hoping to get back to 70 or lower. I store weight on my hips and thighs too, but I do lose it, it's just the last bit to go. I also tend to look lighter than I actually am.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

So you are 5'4 and the doctor is suggesting 184? I would still go lower. Just set a moderate deficit, lift some weights and do some cardio. The best thing is, you can always adjust your goals as you go.

--- I am 5'4. I have the pear shape. My doctors are recommending 128-140. My thighs and hips look good at 128, but I loose most the entire upper body. At 140, I still have thighs and hips and some upper body. At 180, I am still a size 12-14 in pants. I should be a size 6-8. I cannot imagine 5'4 being considered healthy for the waist at anything over 150. Not for looks, but for the medical dangers that come with being overweight.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lift. Seriously. I was a pear, started lifting heavy, and now my shoulders are super broad and make my hips look almost narrow.

I also agree that that's a high weight for your height, but just set mini goals and keep achieving them. You can do this.
  • notsofitRebecca
    notsofitRebecca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Who does one go to to get your BMR tested?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Who does one go to to get your BMR tested?

There are medical institutes or even colleges that offer the services

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There was plenty of good news in the message - it is wonderful to know that you are healthy!

I would do as suggested above - aim for the weight target you have been given and then see.

The Doctor may revise her/his opinion when you get close to target - people vary a great deal.

I would imagine that the Doc is worried that you will aim too low - fail to reach your target and then start overeating again because it is all too hard. That is a well-run route! (It is healthier to be a little over ideal than to yo-yo between much too high and low!)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That is well into 'obese' BMI. Unless your body type is cast iron, I'd get a new doctor.

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 5'4 and not a small boned gal. My turning point to get off my bum because I was uncomfortably fat was 176 pounds. Approved goal weight sits around 130. I'd find another doctor, personally. The one you saw just gave you incredibly unreasonable advice.