on slow release t3 and can't lose weight despite dieting

Options
I've searched the internet and simply can't find the answer to this question. I'm hoping you can help.

I have a conversion problem and was switched from t4/t3 combo to130 mcg slow-release t3 several years ago. My t3 is kept in the upper range and I have little if any Reverse t3. My adrenals are healthy and I experience no hyper symptoms or low adrenal symptoms...

I'm a chronic under-eater--have been for years (it's more to do with lack of appetite), and tried to get into shape last year. i reduced calories (was maintaining at 1500) and found that i couldn't lose weight until I reduced to 700 calories.

I understand that the advice for hypos is that they need to eat enough to lose weight and that I may even need to repair my metabolism and eat at maintenance for a while before reducing to a healthier level like 1500.

My question is: Since I have an artificial metabolism with T3 and cannot make Reverse T3, how is it possible that my metabolism is suppressed? What happens to the T3 during underrating, when your body doesn't have Reverse t3 to slow down metabolism? How will eating more help things?

Hope that made sense..

Thank you!

Replies

• jsmommy1999
    jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just trying to bump this topic. I have low t3 but other values are normal, and a very low metabolism. I am currently taking 20mcg cytomel a day but I'm not sure it is doing anything.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up. I am on Levothyroxine, meticulous about my diet and exercise-with the exception of a day or 2 during my 'cycle'. Theoretically speaking, I should be Twiggy by now. I am baffled. My Endo says I am fighting genetics, but to just keep watching my intake. It's more about the food than the exercise, but the body needs both to enjoy optimal health. I often thought that if I just take myself off the Levo, that maybe the rest of the weight will come off.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burned. Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But I kept gaining & gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Logging showed me I was eating way too much. I think Hashi's has messed up my hunger cues—which is why I still log even though I've maintained my loss for six months. Logging works.