weighing?

Options
How often do you guys weigh yourself? once a month, once a week, once a day? how often is too often?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Anything more than once a day is going to be too often, because of how much your weight fluctuates due to food/drink/bodily functions. I do it first thing every morning, after I've used the bathroom.
  • kimberlyudovich
    kimberlyudovich Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    do you enter it every day or just once a week
  • anyd18
    anyd18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself same as malibu every morning, but only log it once every 2 weeks (which is when I have my "check in" with my nutritionist). That way my chart doesn't fluctuate, the losses are "real" losses, not temporary so it gives me a more accurate picture.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    do you enter it every day or just once a week

For MFP I only record it on Wednesdays because that's the day of the week I started (for consistency). But I do use a separate app on my phone to keep track of daily and view the trends.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week so that I'm not constantly obsessing about the scale. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to on Wednesday's. Once I get to a lower weight and am losing more slowly, I'm moving to once a month. If you want to weigh every day, I would log it in a spreadsheet or something and use that to track and maybe log your weight on MFP once a week. It depends on your mindset and whether the fluctuations will motivate you or demotivate you. I find that it messes with my head and motivation so I like to weigh less and see more results. Remember that, with weight, it's common to see the results of what you did last week on the scale this week :smile:
  • kimberlyudovich
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I weigh once a week so that I'm not constantly obsessing about the scale. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to on Wednesday's. Once I get to a lower weight and am losing more slowly, I'm moving to once a month. If you want to weigh every day, I would log it in a spreadsheet or something and use that to track and maybe log your weight on MFP once a week. It depends on your mindset and whether the fluctuations will motivate you or demotivate you. I find that it messes with my head and motivation so I like to weigh less and see more results. Remember that, with weight, it's common to see the results of what you did last week on the scale this week :smile:

you know I didn't think about it that way. I've struggled loosing weight for years. doctors say my thyroid is just fine but dieting and excercising alone I couldn't loose weight. My doctor decided to put me on phentramine. Today is day to and I'm already seeing results. I'm so excited I just started this app again yesterday and doing a little walking, and stuff like crunches and sit ups and push ups( on my knees) cuz yes i've let myself go. and just implemening that little bit of stuff i've lost at close to 5 lbs
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their own version of "too often". I typically weigh myself every morning, and most evenings. I am looking for trends in my weight. For example, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that if I do a really intense workout (ex, running THEN bootcamp, or a mudrace) I will always be 2 lbs heavier the next day. Due to water retention or stuff like that. I know my trends so I know what is a real fat gain/loss. I only log the lowest weight, however, since I'm aiming to lose. I typically don't log any gains unless I have been a serious slacker and have actually gained fat.
  • kimberlyudovich
    Options
    sweet thank you all so much i'll probably weigh in every tuesday
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3-5 times per day. For no other reason than just to see and the scale is in my bathroom so I weigh every time I go in there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'll add my two cents to the mix. I only weigh in once a month. But I've been at this long enough to know that my routine is working and I just need a quick check in every few weeks. The weekly weigh-ins weren't great for my mental health on weeks when I fluctuated upward so I decided to take a step back and stop living or dying by the scale. That's what was best for me. You'll have to figure out what's best for you. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but count/log it only on Wednesday.
  • kimberlyudovich
    Options
    see i find myself weighing myself in the morning and then at night. I don't know why I do that, but i think it's habbit!
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, sometimes every other week.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Maybe a couple times a month.
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day when i wake up and again befor bed but only log wednsday morning
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh twice a day, once at bedtime and once in the morning, I like to see the differences. I'd like to record it every day, but mfp reannouncing the same fluctuating pound gets annoying... so I record it frequently when I'm doing something new, or if it's a fairly obvious downward or upward trend, then I take a break for a bit. Mostly I just gather data though, I give anything new a few weeks leeway, I just like data...
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure myself once a week. I guess you can weigh yourself whenever you want, as long as you don't freak out that one day you lost weight and the next you gained it back. After all, body weight changes everyday.
  • kimberlyudovich
    Options
    I like to see how i did throughout the day like morning and nighttime...but i donno i get excited over the littlest things
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Daily. and I change it in goals daily for trends.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Every morning. And log my weight every day. I like how I can look back on any given day & see how far I've come. I usually look back to the same day, last week to see how much I've lost. Also, I actually look forward to waking up and weighing! The fluctuations don't bother me. They actually inspire me! If I want to "cheat" at night, just the thought of my morning weigh-in's keeps me on track to not splurge on snacks because I don't want to sabatosh my morning weigh-in.