Has this happened to you?

Options
So since I started eating right and walking and going for a run I have noticed my lower legs have a bad sting in them and it feels like my bones are about to break... Has this happened to anyone else? Am I over doing it? Even though it hurts I still continue to do it, maybe I am over reacting? Who knows

Replies

• xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also have bunions and flat feet as well
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Where in your lower legs? Your shins, by any chance?

Are you wearing the right shoes for what you're doing? That makes a world of difference.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    This is called shin splints. I would not ignore it. Make sure you stretch out properly before running and are wearing the right shoes with adequate support.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me. I have a few suggestions:

1. Take a break from running/walking and let them heal
    2. Apply ice for 20 minutes several times a day to reduce inflammation
    3. Check out goodformrunning.com for suggestions on how to improve your form (this is one of the main causes for shin splints)
    4. When you resume running/walking.....slow down. You're probably going too fast.
    5. Get fitted for shoes. The right shoes will make all the difference in your performance. Every foot is different and since you have issues with flat feet anyway, properly fitted shoes are important. Go to a running specialty store (not a sporting goods store) and have them fit you for shoes. Expect to pay $75-$125 for a good pair of shoes. It's expensive, but they will last you for about 500 miles or so.
  • Thedutchesss
    Options
    is it the front of your legs? I had this once, in English it is called tibialis anterior tendonitis and I think the only thing that helps is rest :(
  • xjgirl94
    Options
    Im not running very fast lol it may be more like a jog but it only hurts when I jog it doesn't hurt during the day or anything and the shoes I wear are zigzags there really comfy and fit my feet pretty good might be the best shoes I ever bought. I don't run everyday or for long periods I balance it out by running for about a minute then walking for a minute and so on
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Shin splints go away as you become acclimated to the exercise.
  • xjgirl94
    Options
    Its more towards the ankles where I feel it but I am going to look up shin splints to read about it
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, hasn't happened to me. (Knock on wood!!) But, I'm only on week two of my little c25k thing. A couple days, when I got up, I had the typical stiff, achy feeling you get when you work new muscles (or seriously demand a lot of ones you normally use a lot.) But that's it. So far (knock on wood again.)

If you have pain, you should consult a doctor.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    cure for shin splints is toe raises.
  • LoraF83
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I'm going to disagree with you there. Bad form can perpetuate the problem. A friend of mine is an experienced runner. She is completely acclimated to running. And yet she got shin splints while training for a half (her 5th, I think?). The cause was bad form - due to undiagnosed scoliosis, which is a whole other issue, but it affected her running form.

Having good form and continuing to practice good form is a key part in preventing injury.

And zig-zags may be comfortable. I'm not saying they aren't. But I can tell you that properly fitted shoes help prevent injury. It's something to consider.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

I'm going to disagree with you there. Bad form can perpetuate the problem. A friend of mine is an experienced runner. She is completely acclimated to running. And yet she got shin splints while training for a half (her 5th, I think?). The cause was bad form - due to undiagnosed scoliosis, which is a whole other issues, but it affected her running form.

Having good form and continuing to practice good form is a key part in preventing injury.

And zig-zags may be comfortable. I'm not saying they aren't. But I can tell you that properly fitted shoes help prevent injury. It's something to consider.

In that case, THANK GOD mine went away after a week! laughs
  • xjgirl94
    Options

I'm going to disagree with you there. Bad form can perpetuate the problem. A friend of mine is an experienced runner. She is completely acclimated to running. And yet she got shin splints while training for a half (her 5th, I think?). The cause was bad form - due to undiagnosed scoliosis, which is a whole other issue, but it affected her running form.

What are the best kind of shoes? Im new to the whole running thing but I love it besides this it makes me feel good
  • LoraF83
    Options

What are the best kind of shoes? Im new to the whole running thing but I love it besides this it makes me feel good

I can't give you the advice on what shoes are best. The shoes that work for me probably aren't the shoes that will work for you.
    The best way to find out is to get fitted at a running specialty store.

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Stretch before & after workouts
    Look at investing in some new good running trainers - Go to your local sports shops. There are so many different types of trainers. Get some advice, and test for comfort.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So since I started eating right and walking and going for a run I have noticed my lower legs have a bad sting in them and it feels like my bones are about to break... Has this happened to anyone else? Am I over doing it? Even though it hurts I still continue to do it, maybe I am over reacting? Who knows

Okay, avid runner here, for years in fact. I've never had that feeling before. That would freak me out.

There is a difference between muscle aches and actual hurting- please do not run if it hurts to run, especially in the manner that you describe above.

First off, you need to go to the doctor and have this checked out to make sure there is no underlying medical condition.

Secondly, if all is cleared by your doc to run, make sure you get fitted for good running shoes.

Thirdly, make sure you stretch well before and after running.

ETA: I see you said you are running slow. Just take care of yourself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This is called shin splints. I would not ignore it. Make sure you stretch out properly before running and are wearing the right shoes with adequate support.

That doesn't sound like shin splints to me. I've had them before and, even though they are painful, what she describes doesn't sound like them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Could be a variety of things. Easiest diagnosis would be shinsplints (see below), followed by tendinitis (rest), then stress fracture (doctor).

1) The running shoes pick the runner. Have you been fitted by a bonafide running store? Zigzags are NOT running shoes. They are for something else, but definitely not "serious" running. I wouldn't run to the mailbox in them.
    2) Are you running at an easy, conversational pace?
    3) What is your cadence like? Should be turning over 180-190 times per min.
    4) Stride length? Are you crashing on your heels? Try transitioning to forefoot striking. It will naturally increase your cadence and decrease the impact time while adjusting your center of gravity and allowing you to have a springier bounce forward to your next step.
  • xjgirl94
    Options
    Could be a variety of things. Easiest diagnosis would be shinsplints (see below), followed by tendinitis (rest), then stress fracture (doctor).

1) The running shoes pick the runner. Have you been fitted by a bonafide running store? Zigzags are NOT running shoes. They are for something else, but definitely not "serious" running. I wouldn't run to the mailbox in them.
    4) Stride length? Are you crashing on your heels? Try transitioning to forefoot striking. It will naturally increase your cadence and decrease the impact time while adjusting your center of gravity and allowing you to have a springier bounce forward to your next step.

What does cadence mean?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What does cadence mean?

How many steps you take per minute. The 180-190 is both feet. 190 is a little high, but the sweet spot is in the 180s. It's a little more work at first, but once your muscles get used to it, your joints and shins will thank you.