Experiences with Varicose Veins and Exercise/Lifting

Options
I've had varicose veins-large unsightly "squiggly" ones in the middle of one of my legs for years now, since I was a teenager I guess and it's never really given me a problem. When I work out doing cardio or lifting I never experience pain and never have had any problems except for perhaps slight discomfort at times, very rarely though.
I also have been standing at work for several hours and sitting for short breaks and I don't really experience any pain or discomfort since I rest my leg on a stool and switch standing on each leg and move around a bit.

My question is to people who have or had this and how it affected your exercise/lifting and definition in your legs. I notice that my non-dominant leg has more definition than my right one which makes sense since it is right on top of the calf.

Eventually I would like to have a procedure to remove it but I figure I will wait until I am where I would like to be and can afford it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'd like to know also

I have a real beaut on my left knee cap. I call it my frog because that's what it looks like.
    I've had mine for over 14 years. I hate the prescription hose so rarely wear them.
  • eswane
    Options
    This isn't the answer to your question but it may help.

TREATMENT: Acupuncture helps reduce the size and pain of varicose veins but rarely makes them go away altogether. Chinese herbs such as bu zhong yi qi tang, san qi, and pu huang may also be prescribed. (See a practitioner to prescribe the exact dosage). Vitamin B complex can strengthen blood vessels, and pineapple, which contains the enzyme bromelain, can ease swelling and pain.
    PRECAUTION: Avoid massaging near the veins as this can lead to problems should you have any blood clots. It's dangerous to move a clot into the circulatory system.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^or you could actually go to a real doctor.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I don't get notifications that people have replied so I didn't know anyone had answered. Thankfully no pain as of yet but I will check into that!
    This isn't the answer to your question but it may help.

TREATMENT: Acupuncture helps reduce the size and pain of varicose veins but rarely makes them go away altogether. Chinese herbs such as bu zhong yi qi tang, san qi, and pu huang may also be prescribed. (See a practitioner to prescribe the exact dosage). Vitamin B complex can strengthen blood vessels, and pineapple, which contains the enzyme bromelain, can ease swelling and pain.
    PRECAUTION: Avoid massaging near the veins as this can lead to problems should you have any blood clots. It's dangerous to move a clot into the circulatory system.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    There is nothing unreal about acupuncture and is proven to provide benefits; would you mind adding some actual input or do you just come here to troll?

Anyway, I know about procedures the "real doctors" can do and they can be quite costly and that wasn't even my question.
    I have no real issues right now but I stated my question above just to see who has it and how it's affected them.

^or you could actually go to a real doctor.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Thanks! So far no one has responded to the question at hand but I guess we shall see as time goes on for us then! So far so good and I may look into the acupuncture and/or one day somehow find money for one of the procedures which would only be for vanity unless it gets worse.
    Bump...I'd like to know also

I have a real beaut on my left knee cap. I call it my frog because that's what it looks like.
    I've had mine for over 14 years. I hate the prescription hose so rarely wear them.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Compression stockings would be very helpful in your situation. They don't cure them, but they very much slow the progression, and increase you comfort. Modern types can look just like nylons, or sport socks or dress socks, so they are not like your grandmothers!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and have had them for years. No issues at all.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I've had varicose veins in my right leg since I was in my 20's and active duty Navy. I've done sclerotherapy injection, stripping surgery, and most recently, the ablation with lasers. They keep coming back, whether I'm overweight or not. There is some heaviness and swelling in the leg, and I find using ace bandages help with the pressure. The doctors all scratch their heads and say "umm, don't know what to do". Sometimes my exercising is cut short, mostly due to dull achy pain from the pressure and swelling. As I've lost weight this time around, the symptoms have gotten worse. This is just my experience, and Good luck to you!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've had varicose veins as long as I can remember. They only give me trouble if I sit a certain way or don't move for too long. I've never had any trouble with exercising. I'm lucky that they don't swell too much.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Thanks and I will look for some to use since I haven't been. Actually I think I may have some that were SUPER tight before I started losing.
    Compression stockings would be very helpful in your situation. They don't cure them, but they very much slow the progression, and increase you comfort. Modern types can look just like nylons, or sport socks or dress socks, so they are not like your grandmothers!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Fascinating experience! I didn't realize they would come back... that stinks but good to know. Is it not normal to come back? I figured it was my weight that brought it on but interesting that your symptoms have gotten worse, sorry! Thanks for the information!
    I've had varicose veins in my right leg since I was in my 20's and active duty Navy. I've done sclerotherapy injection, stripping surgery, and most recently, the ablation with lasers. They keep coming back, whether I'm overweight or not. There is some heaviness and swelling in the leg, and I find using ace bandages help with the pressure. The doctors all scratch their heads and say "umm, don't know what to do". Sometimes my exercising is cut short, mostly due to dull achy pain from the pressure and swelling. As I've lost weight this time around, the symptoms have gotten worse. This is just my experience, and Good luck to you!
  • EatAllTheCake
    EatAllTheCake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have them. They don't affect my lifting at all, but they sure are ugly, which yes, affects progress as far as looks go. They also cause pain and swelling, mostly if I am on my feet for long periods of time, or with high impact exercise.

I have recently in the last few months gone through compression stocking therapy, ultrasound testing, and am now awaiting insurance approval to have Endovenous Laser Therapy to hopefully get rid of them. (re: The last post, there is a small chance they can return even after treatments, but it is not the norm.)
  • EatAllTheCake
    Options
    I also wanted to add that acupuncture is not going to fix faulty valves in your veins. It might have benefits for other things, but it's not going to help that. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and mine are mostly due to genetics. My mother has them and after years of working mostly on her feet as a nurse, they started bothering her badly (heavy, tired feeling) and she finally got the laser surgery done. They only treated the worst ones as it was covered by insurance, so she still has some in her lower legs that are starting to bother her more now. She's always pestering me about getting mine taken care of but they really don't bother me. The only time I notice them is when it's super humid or when I go for a long run.

P.S. My worst one is just below by my left knee on the inside that trails down to the center of the leg. The rest are tiny or just spider veins.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    They haven't bothered me when it comes to exercise, but I do always have constant swelling in my ankles which makes me look like I have cankles and severe dry skin in that area too. I didn't even know that was a symptom of the veins until I started looking into it. I know the local commercial here in K.C. MO says that most insurance will cover the treatment 100%. I'm not sure how true that is, but I've been thinking about looking into it as well since they have free consultations. I know a lady that had the procedure done and the insurance didn't cover it, and it cost her $700 for one leg.
  • EatAllTheCake
    Options
    I have that too, the cankles and I also get little areas of dry/itchy/rashy skin over the varicosities. Haaaaate it! :grumble: I think insurance coverage varies by the company and your plan. I am waiting to find out if/what mine will cover.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Well it's good to know it doesn't affect lifting but I feel like it affects how it looks so that my leg doesn't look as defined and it is ugly and I'm sure people look at it like "ew, what is that?!" haha and I have had friends look at me horrified with "what's that?!" Oh well.
    I find that standing doesn't seem to bother it and I don't notice swelling but I suppose that could change.

I was thinking about getting some compression stockings to help/prevent any issues from happening, did you find it helped? Hopefully your insurance will approve it! I'm hoping to eventually be able to get that done.
    I have them. They don't affect my lifting at all, but they sure are ugly, which yes, affects progress as far as looks go. They also cause pain and swelling, mostly if I am on my feet for long periods of time, or with high impact exercise.

I have recently in the last few months gone through compression stocking therapy, ultrasound testing, and am now awaiting insurance approval to have Endovenous Laser Therapy to hopefully get rid of them. (re: The last post, there is a small chance they can return even after treatments, but it is not the norm.)

• EatAllTheCake
    Options
    ASLJH83 wrote: »

I was thinking about getting some compression stockings to help/prevent any issues from happening, did you find it helped? Hopefully your insurance will approve it! I'm hoping to eventually be able to get that done.

Compression stockings certainly help with pain, discomfort, and swelling caused by the veins. Though the stockings themselves have their own discomforts :|

I was thankfully approved for the procedure by my insurance! I had my right leg done about a week and a half ago, and my left leg will be done in another week and half! The difference is already amazing, minus the bruising and incision marks from the phlebectomies to remove the visible veins. :D