Please be careful with calorie deficits. I had my RMR tested & was shocked how my body responded.

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nbkp2ge wrote: »
    I can't view the video on here...can someone give me the link plse?

Quote this copy and paste URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3kfRkqVWU
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think the issue that most aren't understanding is that when you have a prolonged period (as in years) eating at a larger deficit - that becomes the norm for the body. This becomes more and more true the older you get. We don't all metabolize calories the same way either. Tests for one person aren't going to have the same results as the test for another - even at the same height, weight, age, and calorie restriction.

Personally I love your post and totally understand. Due to dieting almost my entire life - above a 1400 calorie diet and I gain too.

20757594.png
  • girlnamedanne
    girlnamedanne Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What is the argument here that a really low calorie deficit as part of your diet will slow down RMR if kept for long duration?

long duration, yes. mine is years.
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    I think the issue that most aren't understanding is that when you have a prolonged period (as in years) eating at a larger deficit - that becomes the norm for the body. This becomes more and more true the older you get. We don't all metabolize calories the same way either. Tests for one person aren't going to have the same results as the test for another - even at the same height, weight, age, and calorie restriction.

Personally I love your post and totally understand. Due to dieting almost my entire life - above a 1400 calorie diet and I gain too.

20757594.png

precisely. thank you.
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    So is this specifically to do with intake? Or is it actually about the deficit? What I mean is, If I need 2000 to maintain, I burn 1500 in exercise and eat 3000 calories....is the important part that I've eaten 3000 calories, so my body is getting buttloads of food/nutrients? Or is the important part that with exercise I've still got a 500 cal deficit and am only netting 1500?

it's with food intake.
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, thanks!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Weight gain after an initial calorie bump can also be caused by your body replenishing its glycogen stores. Just wanted to put this in here because a lot of people will stop eating at a deficit and suddenly the scale goes up five pounds in a couple of weeks and they think they're gaining on eating a normal amount. It's not fat, it's glycogen energy storage.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

20757594.png

precisely. thank you.

Ahh. So you *are* just looking for people to agree with you.

And, if you consider "have you double checked your data and results?" as "getting annhilated" you're going to HATE the forums here.

Please link me to the inevitable "mean people" thread you'll create.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I personally found your post interesting and useful. I damaged my metabolism due to a year long illness and it's taken me a couple of years to get back to a normal calorie intake. I had to work at it by slowly adding calories and my weight loss slowed several times over the last year.

I seem to be doing fine now as I'm still losing about 1/2 pound every week averaging about 1600 calories/day, working out pretty hard 4 to 5 times per week. At 5'7", still 176 pounds and age 64 I think that's about normal.

• girlnamedanne
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »

20757594.png

precisely. thank you.

That's a terrible presumption. After this, I'm not making any freaking threads. The private messages I'm getting are actually encouraging...and they're pretty much from people who have burned out on forums because they don't like arguing with sarcastic, presumptuous people.
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I personally found your post interesting and useful. I damaged my metabolism due to a year long illness and it's taken me a couple of years to get back to a normal calorie intake. I had to work at it by slowly adding calories and my weight loss slowed several times over the last year.

I seem to be doing fine now as I'm still losing about 1/2 pound every week averaging about 1600 calories/day, working out pretty hard 4 to 5 times per week. At 5'7", still 176 pounds and age 64 I think that's about normal.

Congrats!!! That is awesome. I'm sorry about your illness. I had a surgery this year too and the recovery was discouraging. Glad we are both healed up!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Why did you have such a low calorie intake for so long? 1200 is pretty low for your height don't you think?

i'm 5;7 and I would want to eat my own shoes at that amount.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »

20757594.png

precisely. thank you.

That's a terrible presumption. After this, I'm not making any freaking threads. The private messages I'm getting are actually encouraging...and they're pretty much from people who have burned out on forums because they don't like arguing with sarcastic, presumptuous people.

I remember I got a PM from someone giving me props for stating my ground from my very first thread. I just laugh and said that people online cannot do anything besides talk.
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    Why did you have such a low calorie intake for so long? 1200 is pretty low for your height don't you think?

One final post since this is a good question...I have had an eating disorder for the last 4 years that I entered into treatment for this year. You're right. It was extremely too low for too long.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That is like asking why I fell off from pic one to pic two on my profile. *kitten* happens it is life and the past.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    maybe off topic but I am curious what that day at Cooper clinic cost. I understand it may be private info and maybe insurance covered it but I wouldnt mind getting these tests done
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    maybe off topic but I am curious what that day at Cooper clinic cost. I understand it may be private info and maybe insurance covered it but I wouldnt mind getting these tests done

I would call the Walker Wellness clinic at cooper and discuss a consultation.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

I am already in the works of researching this at a location near me.
  • girlnamedanne
    Options
    And this is my last post. I'm out. I can't handle the wrath of the internet I suppose. Apologies and good day. :neutral_face:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I live in the DFW area, and I am familiar with the Cooper Clinic. They're reputable, and I would trust their findings. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.