Healthy Soup Ideas?

Options
amandaiams
amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
I LOVE soup. I could eat soup everyday, especially homemade. I've come across a couple of super tasty recipes on various cooking websites, but I was wondering if anyone had a recipe that just had to be shared? I tend to prefer a brothier soup, while my husband likes a creamy soup. I'm especially a fan of chicken soup (without noodles, usually.)

I'd love to hear any ideas or recipes. With winter coming up, it's that time of year where I can make soup and not look crazy :) plus, I can eat off of a pot for at least 4 days. Saves time and money!

Replies

• pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I made Roasted Beet & Potato Soup last night for the first time & my husband and I both loved it! It takes a while to make but is very simple, just lots of cooking time. The flavor was fabulous, my husband thought it tasted like something you'd get in a fancy restaurant! :smile:

My only change to the recipe was that I used a little less olive oil (2 tbsp total instead of 3) and I only used 1 cup of milk instead of a cup and a half. Pic of the soup is actually my profile pic right now, it's a beautiful color & a great way to incorporate beets without having an overpowering beet flavor.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Split pea and ham. Make it every winter.
    Lentil...Lentil is one of my favorites...
    Chunky tomato soup...warm and comforting...
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for stuffed pepper soup. We subbed the beef for ground chicken breast and even added an extra lb. We also subbed the rice for orzo, but you could use whatever you'd like really. It was damn good and made a big pot.

http://diethood.com/stuffed-pepper-soup-kitchenaid-stand-mixer-giveaway/
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love hearty soups! My favourite/ the easiest and healthiest one I make is a lentil soup:
    It takes:
    • 1.00 container (2 1/5 cups ea.), Lentils (Canada)
    • 1.00 container (3 cups ea.), Canned Diced Tomatoes
    • 3.00 tsp, Extra Light Olive Oil 1 Tbsp
    • 2.00 clove (3g), Garlic (1 Clove, Raw)
    • 2.00 tsp, Ground Cumin
    • 0.50 cup, Diced White Onion
    • 2.50 cup, Vegetable Broth
    • 1 bay leaf

Start by cooking up the garlic and onions in the olive oïl, and add in the tomatoes. Once they start to cook to whatever level you like best, add in the lentils, broth and cumin, and cook on medium for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the bay leaf and keep cooking (and stirring) for another 5-10 minutes.

It's SUPER satisfying, and you can top it with a little goat cheese, or use chicken broth, if that's what you have at home. I have it listed in my recipes on MFP.
  • amandaiams
    Options
    AnjaliSD wrote: »
    I love hearty soups! My favourite/ the easiest and healthiest one I make is a lentil soup:
    It takes:
    • 2.00 tsp, Ground Cumin
    • 1 bay leaf

Start by cooking up the garlic and onions in the olive oïl, and add in the tomatoes. Once they start to cook to whatever level you like best, add in the lentils, broth and cumin, and cook on medium for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the bay leaf and keep cooking (and stirring) for another 5-10 minutes.

It's SUPER satisfying, and you can top it with a little goat cheese, or use chicken broth, if that's what you have at home. I have it listed in my recipes on MFP.

I've had lentil soups at a Greek restaurant and they are divine! I wasn't really sure where to buy lentils though. I don't really recall seeing them at Target or Wal-Mart. I saw a Mediterranean store in my area so I bet they would sell them there. Thanks for the idea!!! Sounds pretty easy but filling.
  • amandaiams
    Options
    This is a recipe for stuffed pepper soup. We subbed the beef for ground chicken breast and even added an extra lb. We also subbed the rice for orzo, but you could use whatever you'd like really. It was damn good and made a big pot.

http://diethood.com/stuffed-pepper-soup-kitchenaid-stand-mixer-giveaway/

That soup sounds delicious! I bet you could use ground turkey as a sub too. It kinda gives me an idea with Italian Sausage and Peppers. :) Thanks for that idea!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you have a pressure cooker, you can make a killer soup in 30 minutes or less. I also prefer brothier soups. You can add cream to it for your husband (cook it for a few minutes more in that case). You can also make this in a slow cooker.

Chicken, beef, pork, sausage (lean varieties) or tofu
    Celery, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic
    Chicken or veggie broth
    Black or kidney beans (canned but rinsed)
    Fresh Kale or collard greens
    A little olive oil
    Optional: Corn
    Seasonings like Lawry's, Goya Sazon, or good old salt and pepper

It's delicious, low-carb, hearty, full of protein. It tastes like a stew but is much lighter and brighter. I've even done this with Chicken Gizzards (I love them, sorry!). Amazing and super easy.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    amandaiams wrote: »
    AnjaliSD wrote: »
    It takes:
    • 2.00 tsp, Ground Cumin
    • 1 bay leaf

I've had lentil soups at a Greek restaurant and they are divine! I wasn't really sure where to buy lentils though. I don't really recall seeing them at Target or Wal-Mart. I saw a Mediterranean store in my area so I bet they would sell them there. Thanks for the idea!!! Sounds pretty easy but filling.

They will have dry lentils with the dry beans. They are super easy to make from scratch, I promise. It takes maybe 30 minutes and you can add all the flavor you want as you make them. I usually lightly saute some garlic, onion, and red bell pepper, stir in the water and lentils, and cook the lentils until the water has been absorbed/evaporated and the lentils are soft. Yum! :)
  • kisky
    kisky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just made a crockpot of Minestrone. There's a copycat of Olive Garden's Minestrone recipe out there, but I used what I had on hand and it turned out delish!

Low sodium veggie stock
    Bag of frozen peas
    Bag of frozen green beans
    Can of undrained petite diced potatoes
    Fresh baby spinach
    Can of drained garbanzo beans
    Garlic
    Salt/pepper
    Italian seasoning
    Small shell pasta (I added at the end so it didn't get mushy - not much cause it really bumps up the calories)

Top with Parmesan cheese.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Mine's a made up recipe but I start with onions sauteed in a bit of oil, then add grated carrots, parsnips and swedes. I like to grate rather than chop the veg as it gives the soup a nice thick texture without being too chunky. Usually I just add water, as all those root veg have a lot of flavour, but sometimes I use vegetable stock. I then add beans, lentils or soup mix for protein, and season with whatever spices take my fancy.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LOVE soup too!

I once saw Tyler Florence of the food network teach a college student how to make chicken stock and then 3 different soup from the stock. I have tried them all and they are really good. Here is a blog post with links to all his recipes and one soup I created. It is creamy but no cream is used. It is like the greek soup thickened with tempered eggs and lemon juice.
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/10/lemon-chicken-and-vegetable-soup.html

This one has pasta but you could omit or add rice or more veggies:

Rotisserie Chicken Soup
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/rotisserie-chicken-soup.html
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 small carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes
    3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp. flour
    2 Tbsp. tomato paste
    1 tsp. Herbs de Provence (without lavender)
    1 bay leaf
    2 quarts chicken stock
    1 cup dried small elbow macaroni
    2 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
    3/4 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 handful parsley, finely chopped

Directions

Place a large pot of water to boil.

Place another soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Stir in garlic, tomato paste and flour. Continue to stir and cook until the flour and tomato paste brown a little. Add Herbs de Provence, bay leaf and chicken stock; bring the liquid to a boil. Fold in the chicken, and season with salt, black and red pepper. Continue to simmer on low for 18 minutes while you cook the pasta.

Add elbow macaroni to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta and add to the soup pot. Add chopped parsley and taste for seasoning. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and serve.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This time of year I try to make a large pot of soup at least once a week... I simmer it for hours and reheat it through-out the week. A single pot will produce about 12 cups of soup.

As far as ingredients, I like adding "whatever" sounds good to the pot!

A typical pot contains:
    1/4 cup of red beans
    1/4 cup of black beans
    1/4 cup of pinto beans
    1/4 cup of lentils
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 cup of mushrooms
    2 or 3 carrots
    1 can Swanson Chicken Broth, low sodium

I saute the wet ingredients (onions, mushrooms and carrots) in the bottom of the pot with a little PAM until brown. If I have minced onions or garlic I will add it to the saute mixture. Then I add the Chicken Broth and mix. Then I add about 10 cups of water and mix in the dry ingredients. I season to taste with whatever I have in the house.

As the water evaporates during cooking, I just add more. As the week goes by, if I want to stretch out the servings, I will add water and seasoning to the pot. This of course dilutes the "soupier ingredients" and creates more of a soup broth by the end of the week; but on our cool California nights, I enjoy sipping on this (with a spoon full of munchy goodness) while relaxing in front of my favorite cooking shows on TV.

Enjoy... :)

• amandaiams
    Options
    A lot of these look so good. I'm hungry now ^_^ I've tried the copy cat minestrone before and ate off of it forever. I didn't add garbanzo beans though, and I might do that. I feel like it would be tastier with an extra bean.
    Personally, I prefer kale to the spinach (I'm addicted to kale.) I didn't add pasta so I didn't have a lot of carbs. I know beans can be starchy so I felt that would be hearty enough.

I really want to try that lentil soup. I feel like it would fill me up :) And I've never really cooked with lentils.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    The stuffed pepper soup looks amazing! Lots of good ideas here. I like soups because I can get veggies in that I normally won't eat. They all blend together and it works great!
  • cgreen728
    cgreen728 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK VEGGIE SOUP (MEAT IS OPTIONAL)
    325 g (about 1 medium sized) white or Vidalia onion, cut into ¾” pieces
    75 g celery, chopped with leaves (set leaves aside for garnish)
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 T cumin
    1 T paprika
    ½ tsp cayenne (optional)
    215 g pepper (any will do), diced
    230 g cherry tomatoes, halved and salted
    • Any tomato will do- just remove some of the seeds and cut into bite-sized pieces
    150 g cucumber, seeded and diced
    115 g carrots, diced
    150 g frozen cut okra
    1 14 oz can of peas, drained and rinsed
    4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    16 oz frozen (or thawed, doesn’t matter) chicken, pieces (ie: breasts, tenderloins, thighs… just not whole)

1) In a large pot sweat onion over medium high heat
    2) Once onion is in the pan, add cumin, paprika and cayenne and stir until the onion is sweaty and opaque
    3) Add celery, peppers and garlic. Stir
    4) Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally
    5) Add tomatoes and cucumber. Stir
    6) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 minutes
    7) Uncover and allow mix to come to a low simmer
    8) Stir in room temperature broth
    9) If you want to add meat, add it before the broth comes to a simmer
    10) Cover and cook until the meat is cooked through (or longer, for more juicy, flavorful meat)
    11) Add okra, peas and carrots. Stir and increase heat to medium
    12) Cover and cook on medium for another 5-10 minutes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Anything can be added to this and it will probably be delicious!