when is this going to help my energy level??

Options
I have been exercising again for about two weeks. I mostly started back because of being so tired and not being able to keep up with my kids (teenagers). I went and had everything checked out at the doctor's office and there was nothing in the physical/lab work that shows any problems but I am SO TIRED all the time. Every time I go to the gym, all I feel like doing when I get home is going to sleep. I thought exercising was supposed to give you energy. Am I doing something wrong?? Will my body ever adjust?

Replies

• Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If your food logging is accurate and complete, it's no wonder you're tired! The way MFP works, you're supposed to eat back at least half of your exercise calories, not leave them completely uneaten. Plus your food choices aren't the greatest. While that doesn't mean a whole lot for weight loss, if you're low on energy, it probably means you need to eat a better balance of nutrients. Where are the fresh fruits and veggies? How's your water intake?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    If your food logging is accurate and complete, it's no wonder you're tired! The way MFP works, you're supposed to eat back at least half of your exercise calories, not leave them completely uneaten. Plus your food choices aren't the greatest. While that doesn't mean a whole lot for weight loss, if you're low on energy, it probably means you need to eat a better balance of nutrients. Where are the fresh fruits and veggies? How's your water intake?

What she said. You are averaging less than 800 calories net for the last week. That is stupid low. Eat back your exercise calories and watch your energy level shoot up.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Food is energy. Your net calorie intake is REALLY low. Exercise can get you in better shape and make you more energetic if you are not abusing yourself. Being that malnourished it's no surprise you have no energy. Keep it up and you will probably make yourself sick.

Also a couple weeks is barely enough time to adjust to the increased activity. Give it some time.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In addition to eating more as everyone is suggesting above, are you actually sleeping a normal amount?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    So you have just started exercising and you are doing a whole hour of vigorous cardio every day? That might have something to do with it.

Take a recovery day every other day. Do light workouts on recovery days, like a half hour walk.

I am also in the class of not-a-spring-chicken. It takes longer to recover. The first month (at least) at the gym I was wiped out.

This is not a race. Over a year you will see great improvements.
  • Slharrison14
    Slharrison14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just now saw these messages a month later. I have been a member of MFP for three years (not active the whole time) but am just now learning how to use the tools on here especially the message boards but I am trying to learn how it all works. This is a follow up post I do have more energy now and am feeling much better. I do not eat the greatest diet bc I've been addicted to junk food my whole life but I"m trying to change that. It's hard when you don't know how to cook (I tried to learn. I'm terrible at it) I don't eat fruits or veggies. I never have. I do exercise a LOT. Still trying to find out what the right balance is calories vs exercise. I do log every single bite although I wasn't the most consistent when I first came back to the site.