College student trying to lose weight

horsyluvr
horsyluvr Posts: 5
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
In September 2013 I got out of the Coast Guard. Spring 2014 I started using my GI Bill for college. I'm in my second semester now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to lose weight while being a college student? I eat relatively healthy (a cheat day once a week) and I don't drink much (maybe a few on the weekend, not exaggerating.) I was exercising about 6 days a week for 15 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on the activity, until the last week. My weight never went down or up. I just added another class to my schedule, so I'm adjusting time for that as well. I also have a horse which keeps me busy. I'm trying to pick up a part time job along with school (GI Bill is my income during the school year but I don't get paid during Christmas Break, Spring Break, or Summer Break). My exercises usually include running, Insanity, and going to my college's fitness center. I drink 13 glasses of water per day. In ounces that's half my body weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    The best thing you can do is weigh and measure your food so you know how many calories you're consuming. Figure out your TDEE and then cut that. There are plenty of TDEE calculators out there. Depending on how much weight you want to lose, you would cut your TDEE by 10-20%. Add exercise to keep your body healthy and voila...weight loss. Good luck :)
  • horsyluvr
    horsyluvr Posts: 5
    edited November 2014
    Thank you. / I also have my calorie counter adjusted to lightly active. Perhaps I'm taking in too few calories, making my body go into starvation mode?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Most people on here will tell you this----it's more important that you control your food intake to lose weight. Exercise will help you keep muscle, and enable you to eat more. Follow what MFP gives you. Weigh, measure and log all your food to hit your calorie goal. Good luck---by the way, your horse looks just like the one I used to have. :)
  • Thank you :)
  • Medivh73
    Medivh73 Posts: 140 Member
    0somuchbetter0 gave some great advise. On top of that, I'd also suggest taking measurements. The scale likes to lie. You could be losing inches, but your scale won't show that. Best of luck on your journey!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    What everyone above said. Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out with slight nuances because of individual genetics. Just properly track your food, exercise if you want the added benefit and stay disciplined and consistent. Good luck with your education. I got out of the Marines in 2010 and used my GI Bill benefits to go to law school. I know what stress it is to find a source of income during the year when you're not in school. I ended up taking out school loans as an emergency backup, used what I needed and gave the rest back at the end of the school year.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    "Starvation mode" is mostly BS. If you were severely malnourished for several months or years (think anorexia, being a POW, etc.), yes, your metabolism would suffer, but most of us don't go into "starvation mode" from cutting calories. I set mine to "sedentary" because I have a desk job, but since you're a student and have a horse, "lightly active" is probably good. The way I see it, the fact that I exercise routinely is just a bonus. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    P.S. My husband is active duty Army and since we both have all the edikashun we need, we're using his GI Bill for one of our kids! :)
  • Thank ya'll. I haven't been taking any measurements. I've just been basing it on weight and my pant size/fit hasn't changed. / 0somuchbetter0 that's awesome!