Knee Pain After Step Aerobics

Options
I got an aerobic step off of Craig's list yesterday. I did about 30minutes of exercise with it using two risers (2 inches each, so 6" in height total). At the time it felt great and I had no pain but today my right knee is bothering me.

Does anyone have experience with aerobic steps? Should I have started with no risers or only 1 to decrease the height? I am 5 feet 6 inches tall.

Also I feel a slight pain at the base of my knee cap when I walk or take stairs. Should I wait for it to go away before stepping again or should I continue with lower risers and less intensity?
I don't want to lose my momentum.

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oof, yeah, it's really easy to cause both temporary and chronic injuries using an aerobics step. I speak from a painful amount of experience.

When you start up again next, definitely start with no riser, then add one when that's easy, then add the second, and never use more than 2 risers. (You'll see people doing it, but it's not safe.) Form is also extremely important, as is excellent foot support. I'd bet there are good youtube videos that will show you how to hold your core and how to step without causing injury. I know it sounds ridiculous since the motions are so very simple, but tendinitis in the heels, ankles, and knees are very common, as are lower back injuries.

Step is a fantastic exercise and really easy to do at home, but I recommend doing a little poking around the interwebs for tips and tutorials before you start again. As to whether or not you should keep stepping while you're in pain... personally, I would wait until your knee stops bothering you and/or go see a doctor. It might just be muscle strain, but if it's not, you don't want to make it worse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis. Not uncommon with any movement that requires the knee to bend continuously for a period of time.

A couple of key things:

Keep your knee in line with your toe when you bend it. If your knee "bends" inward, this can definitely lead to knee pain.

Step up off your heel and not your toes more often than naught. There will be exercises on step that will require you step up off your toes, but stepping off the toe will usually mean more pressure on the knee.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help. I guess I was worried with no risers I would not be getting that great of a work out. But I would prefer that to damaging my knee. I'll you-tube some tips