Consuming 1500 Calories & Exercising 700 Calories

Options
Hi, can I have help please and if anyone can advise me if doing this right. and if needs what should my goals be for me would like to get back to 79kg. Thanks

Current Goals: Daily Calories 1700

Male, 37, 113kg, 5ft-7"

I currently consume 1700 calories a day and I exercise everyday and I'm burning 700 calories a day. I don't snack, and have my meals 8am breakfast, 12.30pm Lunch, 5.30pm Dinner and Gym at 7pm

Thanks

50000392.png

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back half of the exercise calories? How are you calculating your burns?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Based on Scooby's with NO exercise you should be around 2050. I didn't know your age, so I put you at 25.
  • dst3023
    dst3023 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you eating back half of the exercise calories? How are you calculating your burns?

I keep track of calories burned from machines at the Gym
  • dst3023
    Options
    Based on Scooby's with NO exercise you should be around 2050. I didn't know your age, so I put you at 25.

Im 37
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dst3023 wrote: »

They are inaccurate. By how much is the question.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no way for me to know, but I tend to agree with the popular opinion that the "calories burned" estimates are overly ambitious on those machines and on MFP.

Try eating back half of those estimates and see how it goes. Maybe it's not enough for you, maybe it's too much, but it's a good place to start.

There is some trial and error involved, so try, err and find your sweet spot. :)
  • dst3023
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

OK thanks I guess they wont be far out then is there a accurate way? I exercise for 120 minutes a day so I'm guessing I must be burning near 700
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

OK thanks I guess they wont be far out then is there a accurate way? I exercise for 120 minutes a day so I'm guessing I must be burning near 700

People claim heart rate monitors work.
  • dst3023
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There is no way for me to know, but I tend to agree with the popular opinion that the "calories burned" estimates are overly ambitious on those machines and on MFP.

Try eating back half of those estimates and see how it goes. Maybe it's not enough for you, maybe it's too much, but it's a good place to start.

There is some trial and error involved, so try, err and find your sweet spot. :)
    Thanks for the info I have just had my weekly weight in and as of 8pm now 111kg not changed anything with calorie intake or calories burned.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hi, can I have help please and if anyone can advise me if doing this right. and if needs what should my goals be for me would like to get back to 79kg. Thanks

Current Goals: Daily Calories 1700

Male, 37, 113kg, 5ft-7"

I currently consume 1700 calories a day and I exercise everyday and I'm burning 700 calories a day. I don't snack, and have my meals 8am breakfast, 12.30pm Lunch, 5.30pm Dinner and Gym at 7pm

Thanks

50000392.png

So are you eating only 1700 calories? Are you eating any of the calories burned back?
    I would wager you burn closer to 500 on the cardio machines.

Meal timing has no bearing on weightloss

Exercise only aides in weight loss

Calorie Deficit is all that is needed.

I would recommend some resistance training in addition to the cardio. To help maintain you LBM
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You 120 minutes at the gym is pure Cardio?? You would get massive burn from that..especially at your weight...I'd wager 1200 calories EASY....if your 120 minutes is weights or walking around chit chating which takes more time than people realize...the number could be lower. You are 250 pounds if my math is right, and trying to get to 175....75 pounds will take over a year if done right...make sure you get your mind right about that so you don't lose focus. Eat at 1800 per day on non-exercise days, and 2000-2300 on exercise days (assuming you really are burning 1000+ cals) and you will see the weight fall off. Remember to re-evaluate calorie goals every 15 pounds or so as you will need to eat less and less the more weight you lose.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are there for 120 minutes and plugging away on a cardio machine that whole time, I would think that 700 is probably pretty close to accurate.

Hard to give advice without knowing what exercises you are doing.
  • billmudge59
    billmudge59 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your intake/burn numbers are correct, the weight should be pouring off of you. I would slow it down or at least raise your daily calorie intake to 2000.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I suggest you invest in a heart rate monitor. They can be had fairly cheap if you look around. They turn up on ebay. Polar FT4 or FT7 are good ones. That way you will get a better idea of your calorie burns on the exercise machines and can then get a closer number for your TDEE. If you are burning 700 in exercise, you should certainly be eating more than 1700 as a male of your weight. I would also ensure you are weighing your food and logging everything accurately as without that, you are just flailing in the dark pretty much.