C25K take 2...too much to run everyday at 300lbs?

Options
fatguy_fitness
fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I just finished week 3, day 1 of my second take at C25K. The first time was two years ago and all went well and finished it up running three 5K races. Last year I lost 60lbs in about a year, but gained about 40lbs over the winter, so I'm trying to get back on track. I have a wedding in 4 weeks, so I'm trying to double time it a bit and run everyday if I can instead of every other day. I'm only running/walking about 1.5miles a day, but at about 320lbs I'm wondering if it's a bad idea.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, probably a bad idea
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    All the runners say you should take the rest days. It makes some sense to me. I'm only on Week Two, but I'm taking the rest days.

As far as whether or not you should be running every day, that's something only your doctor can clear you to do. If it's okay with him, it's okay with me, lol.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck!!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    At this early stage, don't run every day. After you have been running consistently for a year, you can think about running every day. Your body gets stronger during rest days, not during run days. The last thing you want is to be hobbling down the isle in crutches because you pushed yourself too far.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did C25K starting at around the same weight. I never ran every day. It probably isn't the best idea to run every day at such a high weight, but if you're feeling good, tread with caution. You don't want to hurt yourself!
  • meaghan_17
    meaghan_17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I did it I ran every second day, and I was fine.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Running everyday is a bad idea for anyone starting running. You aren't giving your body time to rest and grow stronger.

C25k every other day but you can walk or do some other workout on your running rest days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ars371 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's a bad idea.

Probably.

You increase your risk of incurring an injury
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 306lbs right now. I started C25K three days ago and have done it every day. I've been walking 35-50 miles per week at a very good clip, so I thought I could push the timeline a bit. I did 3 days in a row of C25K and it is DEFINITELY a bad idea! The body needs some time to adjust to the new workout. It took a while to become overweight, it will take some time to see yourself out of it again.
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Rather than running daily alternate, you could choose swimming (an excellent whole body workout with low impact) or weight training (to add resistance training in). That way you're meeting your goal of training daily, but you're alternating how you stress your muscles.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    Running everyday is a bad idea for anyone starting running. You aren't giving your body time to rest and grow stronger.

C25k every other day but you can walk or do some other workout on your running rest days.

+1

You'll also notice better performance if you take between 1-3 rest days between training runs. Your body will have begun recovering without taking you all the way back to square one. You also don't want to get burned out physically or mentally.

That said, easy walks on your days off may be good for recovery--easy in terms of intensity, not in terms of distance. Or perhaps yoga, or something else low-impact or relaxing for you, on your rest days, if you MUST be doing something every day to ensure you stay on track (I'm like this).
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    start by walking everyday you will build up strength and endurance

29509743.png